Weight loss with hypothyrodism. help desired.

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 04:48 pm
I have lost about 75 lbs. Took me 3 years to do it! Then about 20 months ago the pounds stopped coming off regardless of how i ate or worked out. Then finally my doc checks my thyroid (about 3 months ago now) and I have hypothyroidism. She puts me on low dose of meds and sends me to a endocrinologist who upped my meds (after another blood test) and tells me I have hashimotos. I have another blood test due and doc visit on the 22nd.

I am starting to feel better. My TSH at last check was 4.01. My current doc is trying to get it under 2.5. I have been told that most feel best when it is at about a 1.

My thing is now the weight loss! I do weight watchers. I record all my foods and eat very healthy. Even had nutritionist st tell me so. I work out like crazy! But I still cannot get the scale to budge! I need to lose another 75 lbs just to get under 200.... I am 5'10", 51 (almost 52!) and very active!

Any others out there that have input that might help? I am told that for most, once the meds are right the pounds will come off if I continue to eat right and workout, which I plan to continue regardless of the scale!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,090 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Eva

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 05:03 pm
@rrobinson2,
That is correct. Right now, your body is working against you. The lack of sufficient thyroid hormone has lowered your metabolism, and no amount of exercise will raise it. Once your thyroid levels are within a normal range, you shouldn't have any trouble. For now, just eat sensibly and take your meds.

Congratulations on losing 75 lbs.! I'm sure you'll lose more once this is resolved.
rrobinson2

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 05:29 pm
@Eva,
Eva! Thanks!! It helps me to hear this.... I have been patient soooo long, some days it is hard to keep at it. But I am so close now I can taste (lol!) it!
Eva

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 08:29 pm
@rrobinson2,
You're welcome! With a lowered metabolism, it is very, very easy to put on weight. Obviously you've started some good habits if your weight is remaining constant, so keep up the good work!

It's been 3 months since you started taking supplemental thyroid hormone, but how long ago did they up the dosage? Once they find the correct dosage, it should only take a month or two for your metabolism to be back to normal.
rrobinson2

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 06:15 pm
@Eva,
They have upped it once so far. That was about a month ago... I go in the 22nd (after a new blood test) to see if it needs raised again. I guess the fact that I have quit gaining is a good sign! It may not be enough yet to get me to lose, but I gained almost 20 lbs between last Oct and a couple months ago WHILE following weight watchers faithfully and working out like mad! So, maybe if they raise it again it will be enough for me to lose... I'd be so happy with just small losses on a regular basis! Right now, from week to week, I kinda bounce. Up 2, down 2... pretty much a holding pattern. I also know I retain water like mad and can have a 5+ pound weight flux from one day to the next! Doc said that is from my thyroid too...

Thanks for the help!
Becca
Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 08:17 pm
@rrobinson2,
Sounds like they're making progress...hang in there! It'll keep getting better.
0 Replies