Dreadful dreadful yet sadly inevitable news!

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 08:06 am
Car Talk' to end, leaving void in mechanics-who-talk-like-Noël Coward niche

Tom and Ray Magliozzi, the Tappet Brothers of 'Car Talk' fame, announced that they will end their 35-year run on public radio in September. The unique show was comedy 'of the first order.'

http://m.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/2012/0608/Car-Talk-to-end-leaving-void-in-mechanics-who-talk-like-Noel-Coward-niche

George

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 08:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Bummer.
I love those guys, they have the most contagious laughs ever.
Ragman

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 08:52 am
@George,
I used to bring my car to their repair place (Good News Garage in Cambridge nr MIT) in the mid- to late '70s. You could go to their garage and rent a stall and work on your car yourself and/or get paid advice from them or their mechanics.

Loved their show and I regularly tuned into it at my house. The great news is that their show's producer (Bob Berman) has rated and culled the best of all their episodes. He'll have the equivalent of about 8 yrs of great weekly shows to play back on NPR from week to week. They'll not have any more new shows very soon.
hamburgboy

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 10:58 pm
@Ragman,
click and clack were first-rate - they'll be missed !
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 04:17 am
@hamburgboy,
theres a knock in my weekend radio listening.
I assume that Keihlor will be next.
These two guys are in their upper 60's so we should celebrate the years of entertainment they provided and bid them a very fond adieu.
Ill miss em too.

Their is a show o very few PBS stations that is a call in for antiques. Its the "ANtiques Road SHow" meets "The CAr Goys"

These two are barely on radio and Ive reccomended to the Philly PBS station to carry the antiques call-in show into their weekend

line up.

I shall miss their staff names like Peekup Andropov
Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 04:56 am
@farmerman,
I still laugh each time at the cleverness of those list of names they read off as fake production credits - particularly the chauffeur Peekup Andropov. Listening to them is like visiting a fave relative only not annoying.

And, oh those infectious laughs - especially at each other or their own expense.

BTW, Tom, older brother is 75. He used to be a prof at various Boston universities including MIT ('58 grad). The younger one, Ray, is 63 and was in also an MIT grad ('72) and in the VISTA (US-based Peace Corps) around the late '60s or early '70s.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 06:00 am
Quote:
Celebrate 35 Years Of ‘Car Talk’

WBUR’s 11th Annual Gala takes place on Monday, Oct. 15, at the Sheraton Boston Hotel. This year we’ll be celebrating the storied career of Tom and Ray Magliozzi, who are marking the 35th anniversary of Car Talk on WBUR – and the 25th on NPR. Susan Stamberg, Robert Siegel, Scott Simon and Nina Totenbergwill be on hand to toast Click & Clack. They’ll be joined by all the WBUR hosts, as well as reporters and producers – along with the whole crazy crew from Car Talk Plaza, from Doug “The Subway Fugitive” Berman right down to Natalie Attired (assuming she can get the night off).

http://www.wbur.org/community/events/celebrate-35-years-of-car-talk
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 12:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
NPR's "Car Talk" Airs for the Last Time This Weekend
"The Best of Car Talk" has been airing classic episodes on NPR since 2012.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 01:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
sad but not unexpected. NPR has been slowly slipping into Millenial-wise programming as a prime target. Look what's happened to Paririe Home Companion.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 06:16 pm
@farmerman,
FYI: Chris Thile is the lead singer, mandolin player to my all time favorite band: The Punch Brothers. I'm glad he's succeeded Garrison Keillor on Prairie Home Companion.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 06:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thats why theres vanilla and chocolate. This guy may be a suitable musician but hi story telling skill arent very well developed at all. I mis the "LIVES OF THE COWBOYS" and "the PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION of ENGLISH MAJORS"(POEM).

I thought he was from Nickel Creek.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 07:10 pm
@farmerman,
That's also his band.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 07:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'll be seeing The Punch Brothers in August.
0 Replies