What's Bill Clinton up to?
Theories I've heard:
1) He's still mad at Obama for playing the race card with him in 2008
2) He doesn't want to see a Dem president (other than him) since Truman win a second term
3) He doesn't approve of the direction Obama is taking his party
4) He just wants to be the Big Dog
5) He wants Obama to lose so Hillary will be better positioned for a another shot in 2016
6) The latest, trotted out by an "advisor", is that at 65, he's off his game and isn't as disciplined as he once was when speaking with the Media.
There's probably some truth to all of them, but my guess is that it has more to do with Hillary than anything else.
By all appearances they have a very strange relationship but I don't doubt that he loves her very much in his own weird way, and I think he believes he owes her big time for all of his sexcapades.
I think he's convinced that if Obama wins re-election, he will render Democrats toxic in 2016 and none of them will be able to win. If by some chance Obama turns things around in a second term and proves successful, then Hillary would have a tough time beating heir apparent Joe Biden.
Unless Romney wins and conditions take a turn for the worst (given the state of the world's economy, a possibility no matter what Romney does), Hillary's chances in 2016 won't be great. The former president however is a consummate politician however and I'm sure he's thought out all the scenarios and how to achieve the best one for her.
I do think there's a lot of truth in the explanation that he's "lost" discipline, but only to the extent that he doesn't need to discipline himself to say what is politically advantageous. He can now say whatever he really believes.
If this explanation was made without his knowledge and consent, look out for the next barrage against Obama since it is going to be very easy for folks to interpret the comments as Clinton losing a step mentally. He may secretly enjoy the sobriquet of Slick Willy
, but Foggy Bill
will really frost his chaps.