POLICE THINKING

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 06:52 am
@Setanta,
So, what would you suggest? Giving it away first come, first served?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 07:49 am
@Setanta,
You surely don't think the cops are here for your benefit? The idea was that nobody would show up with the receipts and then the goods could be auctioned off on the night shift with the proceedings to go to a charity. The ones that would go off before the auction could be arranged might as well have been eaten. The cakes at least.

I was engaged in training policemen for six years. I was a member of the civilian staff. We were supposed to be providing a more rounded education than the police staff could manage. It was an exercise in extension of fiefdoms actually. The government was spending like a man with no thought for the morrow.

The police staff ranged from constables, who were good at wrestling, ju-jitsu, orienteering, boxing, athletics, and such like: big fellows except for the wrestler who fingers nearly touched the ground, he was one ugly ******, and up to Superintendent. One of them had a low slung. high powered coupe which the maintenance staff kept in tip-top shape and a sign behind him when he was sat at his desk interviewing slackers reading "He that will not work, neither shall he eat".

Which was pretty ironic I thought. He had been posted to us from running an urban area containing over 300,000 people. R and R for burned out Supers.

What do you wish to know about police thinking?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 08:44 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

I am curious...

Is there such a thing as Canadian exceptionalism?

Yes but subscribers have found that it's only published on a sporadic unpredictable basis.

Like on those rare occasions when one of their teams wins the Stanley Cup.
Ceili

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 07:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh, the irony. I wonder how many American teams would win without Canadian talent...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 11:08 pm
DUSTIN BROWN "C" - ITHACA, NY, USA
JEFF CARTER - LONDON, ON, CAN
KYLE CLIFFORD - AYR, ON, CAN
COLIN FRASER - SICAMOUS, BC, CAN
SIMON GAGNE - STE. FOY, QC, CAN
DWIGHT KING - MEADOWLAKE, SK, CAN
ANZE KOPITAR "A" - JESENICE, SVN
TREVOR LEWIS - SALT LAKE CITY, UT, USA
ANDREI LOKTIONOV - VOSKRESENSK, RUS
JORDAN NOLAN - ST. CATHERINES, ON, CAN
SCOTT PARSE - PORTAGE, MI, USA
DUSTIN PENNER - WINKLER, MB, CAN
MIKE RICHARDS - KENORA, ON, CAN
BRAD RICHARDSON - BELLEVILLE, ON, CAN
JARRET STOLL - MELVILLE, SK, CAN
KEVIN WESTGARTH - AMHERSTBURG, ON, CAN
JUSTIN WILLIAMS - COBOURG, ON, CAN
DREW DOUGHTY - LONDON, ON, CAN
DAVIS DREWISKE - HUDSON, WI, USA
MATT GREENE "A" - GRAND LEDGE, MI, USA
ALEC MARTINEZ - ROCHESTER HILLS, MI, USA

WILLIE MITCHELL - PORT MCNEILL, BC, CAN
ROB SCUDERI - SYOSSET, NY, USA
SLAVA VOYNOV - CHELYABINSK, RUS
JONATHAN BERNIER - LAVAL, QC, CAN
JONATHAN QUICK - MILFORD, CT, USA
DARRYL SUTTER - HEAD COACH - Canada
JOHN STEVENS - ASSISTANT COACH - Canada
JAMIE KOMPON - ASSISTANT COACH - Canada
BILL RANFORD - GOALTENDING COACH - Canada

LA Kings win the Stanely Cup. 15 Canuck players, 4 Canuck coaches...
American exceptional-ism?
L1n1o

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 11:01 am
@Ceili,
First of all, what has exceptional ism have to do with sports?
Second of all, your comparisons doesn't significantly mean Americans are bad at hockey.
Your observation is correct only because the popular sport in America is football and basketball, and parents send their kids to training for such sports at an early age.
In Canada, parents send their kids to hockey at an early age.
Let's see you Canadians beat us at football.
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 11:13 am
@L1n1o,
Are you aware of the Canadian Football League? Ever hear of Warren Moon, Joe Theismann, Mark Gastineau, Andre Rison (played for Green Bay's Superbowl champion team and Toronto's Gray Cup champion team), Doug Flutie? Players, Canadian and American, go both ways, north and south. In Canada, you've got three downs to make ten yards, so the passing game is far more important. That's why Warren Moon became such a superstar when he came south to the Oilers.

Lots of Canadians playing Major League Baseball, too. But i guess if you haven't heard of it, it doesn't count, huh?
Ceili

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 11:36 am
@L1n1o,
Try and follow along with the conversation. I didn't bring up hockey and my response was to the stated arrogance about American teams winning the Stanley cup. I think as the list above shows, the Kings couldn`t have won without Canadian talent. The list was for the Finns of the world who think otherwise.
Likewise, I don`t think Americans suck at hockey.
As for football, there is a long storied history in this country of great football teams and players. Like Set said, some of the greats in American Football only became great because we gave them a shot and when they shone, they went back home. Warren Moon is an excellent example. He came to Edmonton when no team would hire him down south. A champion who was treated like gold up here and snubbed because of his colour at home. Only after he showed he had the right stuff here was he welcomed in the American football league.
I don't think any nation has a stranglehold on exceptionalism. Considering we are a 10th of your size and our weather isn't conducive with year round play, we've produced some pretty decent athletes and teams in many sports.
And no... I don`t think sports are the only thing that proves exceptionalism. I could go on all day about brilliant Canucks who have made this a better world. I won`t though, because the idea is stupid in the first place. People aren`t great because of their country, the country is better because of these people.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 11:41 am
@Setanta,
As a matter of fact, I haven't heard of a single one of them.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 11:42 am
@roger,
Not an NFL follower eh
roger

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 11:43 am
@ehBeth,
Oh, football. No wonder I didn't pick up on them.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 11:44 am
@roger,
Superbowl. It was a clue.

Mr. Green
roger

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12:25 pm
@ehBeth,
A clue to whom? Could have been related to a salad bar, or something, or maybe an advertisement from the local teriyaki chicken joint.
spendius

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12:45 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
But i guess if you haven't heard of it, it doesn't count, huh?

Of all the people who shouldn't be saying that Setanta is the chiefest.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 01:11 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

A clue to whom? Could have been related to a salad bar, or something, or maybe an advertisement from the local teriyaki chicken joint.

Setanta wrote:
Green Bay's Superbowl champion team

oh ok

you think Green Bay's Superbowl champion team might have been a salad bar or a teriyaki chicken joint

I believe it
roger

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 01:18 pm
@ehBeth,
Salad bowls are often filled with green stuff. Green Bay? Maybe a gread source of seaweed. Who knows what people will put into a salad bowl. I've even seen pasta salads, fer cryin' out loud.
0 Replies