TIGER WON THE MEMORIAL!

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 04:08 pm
Tiger Woods won the Memorial Tournament.

I am delighted...and I was happy to see the first commercial featuring him in three years.

I understand some people may still feel anger toward him, but we all make mistakes. I think he's paid for his...and now I wish him luck in my favorite game.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 4,074 • Replies: 45
No top replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 04:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm pretty sure alot of people felt that he would never, ever, get back up again...

That was/is his passion. Apparently, he has another 'passion' Wink I suggest he becomes a Monk and just concentrates on what he does best Smile
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 04:13 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
He has the same "passion" I had at one time. It is a very demanding mistress, this "passion."

I hope you do not judge him too severely, but that is up to you.

I am delighted for him today. I thought the win might never come.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 04:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm a passionate person, in all that I do, so I "get it".

Then there is the fact I don't judge anyone, we all are who we are.

I am genuinely pleased for him.

I also have a sense of humor Frank Smile
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 04:24 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
I also have a sense of humor Frank

Great!

There are times when "a sense of humor" seems at a premium here in OS. I hope I do not add to that problem...and I promise to work at insuring that I do not add to it.

Anyway…

…two men, a priest and an atheist, are playing golf. At the green on the first hole, the atheist, lines up for a short two-foot putt, taps the ball, and the ball slips around the edge of the cup and does not go in. "Dammit, I missed!" exclaims the atheist.

The priest tells the atheist that he shouldn't curse, because God will punish the atheist for doing so.

On the second hole, the atheist tries a particularly aggressive chip shot to get the ball onto the green and instead lands in a sand bunker. "Dammit I missed!" exclaimed the atheist, to which the priest again issued a warning about God punishing those who curse.

The round continues in much the same way, with the atheist continuing to exclaim "Dammit I missed!" every time he hits an errant ball (which is quite often), and the priest continues to admonish him about God's wrath.

Finally, they get to the eighteenth hole and the score is tied. The atheist needs to make a two-foot putt in order to win. He taps the ball, and again he misses, and again, he curses his miss.

Before the priest can respond, the clouds in the sky open up, and a bolt of lightning shoots out and hits the priest, killing him.

Then, from the cloud comes a loud voice "Dammit, I missed."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 05:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm not precisely delighted, but I congratulate him for the effort to come back - it is the sign of a champion, which he is/was already in the past. My qualms about Tiger are not so much to do with Tiger, who is after all interesting as a golfer, but the media, which never shuts up about him. A great deal of time has gone by where the media zoned in on what I'll say has been a struggling guy to the occlusion of most other players. (Yes, I follow golf)
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 05:16 pm
@ossobuco,
The press does spend a lot of time on him, Ossobuco...and that is not especially fair to the other players. I grant that.

But my guess is "the other players" are very, very happy he has been able to make this first step. Their prize money depends on the popularity of the game...and NOBODY makes the game more popular than Tiger.

His appearance at a tournament is coveted by every sponsor...and the networks want him to be a contender in every tourney, because their viewership skyrockets when he is contending.

He did seem a bit more gracious this week. I hope that trend continues. And I hope he makes the best of this opportunity both in his professional and personal life.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 05:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Agree 100%.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 05:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't disagree with you on those points at all.

I follow some of the young guys and some of the oldies - Ryo Ishikawa, say, as young, and Darren Clarke, a champ with a particular style that only works sometimes, ok, once in a while - even some of the clowns on the uh oh oh video, g'help me, I always put them on my leaderboard thingamajig. Plus, natch, whatever italians are hanging around.

But since I do read this razzmatazz, I have gotten well sick of Tiger, when I originally liked him. Nothin' to do with his sex forays, that I can understand from his background - all to do with Tiger all the time in the media. It's like we're all yoyos, and we are.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 08:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Michael Vick is the most humble and selfless person in the majors these days. Maybe Tiger is following the strait and narrow path of Michael.

Maybe the repo of his big yatch would have something to do with his newly found humility.

Hes a douche, always was, etc etc
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 08:49 pm
@farmerman,
Most humans are not perfect, and most of us have done something to be ashamed of during our lifetime that wasn't publicized like Tiger's. I can understand why he lost his head when he did; he really didn't know how to handle the adoration of his fans, and his head got too big for his britches. Gotta forgive the guy; I think he's learned his lesson.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 08:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So what?

His difficulties were more complicated than that.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 08:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What kind of physical shape is he in, particularly his back?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 08:54 pm
@ossobuco,
So what? Just a personal opinion of someone who's also made some mistakes in life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 09:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't think much of this was about his sexual moves, more re stuff happening with his body and who told him what to move in what sequence to fix his swing after injuries.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 09:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I've known of a few athletes who have overcome physical handicaps to be number one in their field. Why not Tiger?
farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 09:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I cant really forgive him for being a douche. Thats just Tiger.
Had he been a real athlete in some actual sport, then maybe Id follow his arc and actually give a rat's ass about this guy.
As it is, hes just some rich guy who hits little white knubbly balls around a grass field with holes . He must get the holes filled with his balls in order. AND, if he does it in fewer strokes of his sticks than some other guys who are also hiiting these little white balls around, then he can announce that he has won a tournament of the most boring game on the planet next to extreme iris propogation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 09:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You think the rest of us haven't? I'm glad he's back.

I'm whining about the last bunch of years all about Tiger (oh, and Michelson) that shut out the rest re the media.

I've long been about sports stories, not all the data, and my interest in all that started when I was about thirteen.

A lot of the other golfers besides Tiger and Michelson have interesting stories, but nah, people don't get to read them, at least in u.s. papers. Feeding the hole.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 09:55 pm
@ossobuco,
My anger about the media covers more than just sports, but that's another topic all together.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 10:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We are talking about golf.
0 Replies