Electrical transformer question

Thu 31 May, 2012 01:54 pm
We have a short in the electrical transformer in one of our lights. It will take 2-3 weeks for the lighting shop to get in a replacement and I'd rather not be light free for that long. Also, I would kind of prefer not to have one by the same manufacturer as this one lasted for just a bit over a year.

I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is such an odd part that I can't pick up a replacement locally or whether I can find someone who can repair the one I have.

This is the information I took off the current transformer:

Model WH 2301S

I/P: AC 120V-60Hz 1.9A (there is a post that comes out here but I assume it says Amps)

O/P: AC 12V 35-230V

Auto Stop Protected & Dimmable

Transformer for 12V Halogen Lamp Use Only.

Elswhere it says:

AC 12V - 19A

AC 120 V

230 Watts

Is this something very specialized and difficult to find? Where would I start my search?

Thanks for any help!

Butrflynet

Thu 31 May, 2012 02:36 pm
@boomerang,
From everything I am seeing when searching for "halogen transformer" wh2301S, people have been having problems with it since 2009.

It is made by Wang House in China.

There hasn't been any advice offered on suitable substitutes on the sites I browsed.

Might be worth it to wait the two weeks and just use a temporary light. You might be able to expedite it by offering to pay overnight express shipping charges.

There are similar transformers available but they aren't the exact same wattage - either much lower or much higher.
boomerang

Thu 31 May, 2012 02:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
But then I'd just be getting another crappy transformer and probably have to do the whole thing again in another year.

This was an expensive light fixture and I'm a bit upset that they put such bad parts in it.

Maybe I need to call an electrician to fix this part rather than order a new one......
parados

Thu 31 May, 2012 02:54 pm
@boomerang,
Assuming this is the part:
http://www.a1parts.com/powersupplies/Images/23011S.JPG

The manufacturer isn't as important as the amperage/wattage. It needs to be the same or more.

With the info you have, an electrical supply place might be able to find you a replacement.
boomerang

Thu 31 May, 2012 03:08 pm
@parados,
A few things are moved around and the manufacturer is different but otherwise it looks exactly like that!

I'll call an electrical supply place.

Thanks so much!
0 Replies

boomerang

Sat 23 Jun, 2012 02:31 pm
@parados,
Our broken transformer has 4 leads - 2 red and 2 white. The replacement transformer has 2 red leads? Ok to wire using 2?
DrewDad

Sat 23 Jun, 2012 02:53 pm
@boomerang,
If you end with with your wireless networking not working, try turning off the halogen lamp.

My experience is that off is OK, full on is OK, but dimmed causes any manner of trouble. Dunno why.
0 Replies