British history questions :D

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 09:00 am
1/ The Civil War in Britain in the 17th century is in fact a revolutionary to put an end to feudalism. Do you agree? Why or why not
I don't agree because I think it just a war to decide who were more powerfull (Charles considered himself appointed by God and had absolute power,but the Parliament didn't agree) thefefore war happened
2/ What did not contribute to the English Reformation
A. the discovery of America, the New World
B. the corruption of the Roman Catholic Church
C. Henry VIII having no son from his first wife, Catherine of Aragon
D. The Protestant Reformation gaining momentum in Europe
I'm in 2 minds about A and B
3/ In Britain the spread of literacy in the 15th century was facilitated thanks to _____
A. the translation of Bibles
B. the invention of the printing press
C. the Renaissance
D. the emergence of Humanism
I have no idea Sad
4/ During the Middle Ages, European Kingdoms, including England, went on _____ to fight for the liberation of the Holy Land (fill in the blank)
I think it's "together"
5/ The upper chamber of Parliament, the House of Lords, is not a democratic body (True/ False? Why?)
I think it's false because the members of the House of Lords are not elected, so not democratic
6/ The East End in London is an area of luxury and pleasure with lots of shopping malls and restaurants (True/ False? Why?)
I have no idea Sad
Thanks so much Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,804 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 09:46 am
@koreagunba,
The civil wars of the seventeenth century were indeed a power struggle between King and Parliament. Whether or not the idea of divine right was really involved ignores the personality of the first King Charles. He was stubborn, pig-headed, overbearing and, essentially, a bully who would not be contradicted. I suspect that he'd have been just as intractable without reference to the concept of divine right.

2. = C (but it's more complicated than that)

3. = B, although that's misleading. The English did not invent the printing press. The Chinese were using a press with wooden blocks in the 7th century, and were using something like moveable type by the 11th century. Hand presses for wood blocks were already common in Europe by the end of the 13th century, and even some moveable type. But the type had to be carved by hand in soft metal, and wasn't more profitable than hand-copied manuscripts. Gutenberg revolutionized the process by creating molds to turn out the moveable type in large quantities in a harder, more durable form, and relatively cheaply, too. Gutenberg had been a goldsmith, and was familiar with mold techniques, even for very small, very detailed work. Apparently, it had never occured to anyone to pour iron into small molds.

Antwerp became a center for printing, and they did large, contracts runs of books in any language. Thomas Caxton learned the business in Antwerp, while printing books for sale in England, in English. Soon he went to London and set up a printing press to bypass the shipping costs and cut out the middle man. That was, i believe, in the mid-1470s.

4. = crusade

5. = you are correct. Members of the House of Lords were life peers who held their seats hereditarily--they were not elected.

6. = I can't speak for contemporary London, but for most of the city's history, east of Houndsditch (i.e., outside the old, eastern city wall) the city was an area of manufacturing, warehousing (because it was near the docks) and cheap tenement housing for the poor. Before you answer that, you'll need to wait for an Englishman to show up to tell you what it's like today.
Ceili

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 09:57 am
@koreagunba,
I believe the east end has transformed itself into the Canary Wharf and it's where a ton of the cultural olympic stuff will be happening. I don't live there, so this would be hearsay..
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 10:37 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
5. = you are correct. Members of the House of Lords were life peers who held their seats hereditarily--they were not elected.

Life peers do not inherit their titles, they are awarded them, and the title dies with them. Margaret Thatcher for instance is a baroness, but when she dies, her son Mark remains plain old Mister.

Hereditary peers inherit their titles and pass them on when they die.

It all depends on which part of the East End you're talking about. The area has seen rapid gentrification around Canary Wharf, Docklands Airport, and social cleansing by the Tories around the Olympic site

There's still a lot of the old East End about elsewhere.

0 Replies

Gabriel1954

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 03:21 am
@koreagunba,
) correct, 2) A 3) Printing Press, Renaissance and humanism were all late 15C, difficult question to answer 4) Crusades, 5) False, because you need a non-elected, ie non-political, body to counterbalance a politically elected lower house. 6)False, the East end is a low income, multi-ethnic group, based in the poorest sections of the capital
0 Replies

Gabriel1954

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 05:46 am
@Setanta,
PS Mark thatcher will not be plain Mr , he has inherited his father's title, that of Baronet and is now Sir Mark Thatcher, bt -
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 07:59 am
@Gabriel1954,
He's still an arsehole though.
0 Replies