Why is the UFC ring an octagon?

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 02:57 pm
(Before I continue, all you UFC hardcore fans, it's just a question, and nothing to be riled up about)

Why not a circle?

I mean I have observed so many times that the flat sides of the octagon allows the players to be pinned, and then the fight becomes boring, the fighters get tired trying to get out of the pin hold, or kneeing each other to no effect, for most cases.

A circled ring will allow the pinned fighter to roll off each other quicker and the fight is not 2 to 4 minutes of pinned embrace on the side of the octagon.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 5,726 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 03:01 pm
@Val Killmore,
I hate to bring it up but there really isn't a lot of hardcore UFC fans (publicly outed at least) that I've seen here at a2k.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 03:30 pm
@Val Killmore,
What is the "ring"? If it's a solid steel cage, you might have a good question. If it's either chain link, or ropes as in a conventional boxing ring, the ropes have to be attached to posts, and they won't stretch into anything but a number of straight lines.

In a related question, why is a boxing ring square. In no other case have I ever heard of a square ring.
Val Killmore

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 03:48 pm
@roger,
http://www.groundandpound.de/fileadmin/photos/2011/04/bellator3.jpg

A ringed cage is possible.

A square cage takes out the fun, because the fight can end quickly. MMA is unlike boxing, you can grab your opponent.

Imagine a MMA fighter pushed into a true corner and having the fence on each side keeping him from being able to move left or right and unlike a boxing match his opponent could grab ahold of him to keep him in place and kick him, knee him, elbow and punch. it would be a fight ender in very fast fashion.
batteryship

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 03:09 am
@Val Killmore,
I like UFC. I am big fen of brock.

Val Killmore

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 08:53 pm
@batteryship,
One of my fav: Marcus Davis
0 Replies