Is hacking into a Facebook Account common?

Linkat

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 11:04 am
My daughter told me while conversing on facebook, her responses showed inappropriate appropriate language. Telling a friend of hers she was conversing to …to F- off and called him a d*ck, stuff like that.

She was all upset. She came to me and said that this just showed up like it was her response, but she hadn’t typed it. I tend to believe her – not just because I’ve never heard her use those words and tone, but why the heck would she tell me? It isn’t like I would find out.

So her friend is mad at her. Another friend believed her – that she wouldn’t write/say those things.

So does this stuff happen a lot on facebook? Is it easy and why would some one want to hack on a young teen’s account for something so dumb?

I suggested she change her password. Any other thoughts on this to help stop or at least minimize this?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 11:29 am
@Linkat,
It's actually pretty common especially if the user is using ...
1. A single common password for multiple accounts: 0ne password for email, banking, Twitter, Facebook, etc...;
2. A single and too simple word for their password or worse
3. 12345 or password for their password or other too easy password which everyone should know by now not to use.

As for hacking a teen's webpage?

1. A fellow teen who enjoys the jerkish challenge to break and vandalize the user's Facebook feed.
2. Or others hack into Facebook for Phishing campaigns. The hey! Look at this link where the link sends the clicker to some malware or spyware program.

The best thing is to have your daughter associate her Facebook account to her respective cell phone and any other device where she can access the network. So if someone tries to access her account from another 'suspect' location, she'll get an email indicating that she needs to change her password.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 11:32 am
@Linkat,
there was a notice about something like this on FB yesterday - lots of people posting status updates that rude messages weren't really from them

the Tsar is right - password changes and tough passwords are important (I like sites that tell you if you're setting a weak or strong password)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:20 pm
Thank you - I will let her know. Even if this bozo friend of hers doesn't believe her - she will feel better about knowing these things.

I did tell her if this person was a real friend, he would believe she wouldn't say those things.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:21 pm
I strongly urge you to run a comprehensive and extensive virus scan on your computer immediately. Account hacks like this - if that is what actually happened - are a classic sign of a penetrated box.

Cycloptichorn
Linkat

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'll have hubby check - we have an apple and they are pretty good - although I am pretty sure she was on her ipod when it happened and not on our computer.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:25 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I'll have hubby check - we have an apple and they are pretty good - although I am pretty sure she was on her ipod when it happened and not on our computer.

Yup - more and more viruses are popping up on Macs these days. They have no special defenses against them, they just used to be sufficiently rare that virus writers didn't bother. That's changing.

Any computer that she logs in from could be where the penetration took place, and if it's one you do your business on in any way, definitely pays to be careful. Probably nothing, but ya never know.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:38 pm
@Linkat,
Another common issue is for people to leave their account logged in somewhere after they're done with the computer or to leave the computer unattended.

That's not really a "hack," though.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Actually, she should check all of the computers/devices from which she connects, not just the one she was using at the time.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:43 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Actually, she should check all of the computers/devices from which she connects, not just the one she was using at the time.

Agreed, sorry if that wasn't clear when I wrote earlier.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:44 pm
@DrewDad,
She only uses our home computer and her ipod. They have computers in school, but it is used only in computer class and I highly doubt they allow any sort of personal use.

My daughter tends to be a rule follower especially in school - so if they tell her something is not allowed, she tends to be some one who follows it precisely.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 03:03 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Is hacking into a Facebook Account common?

It is certainly not uncommon.
0 Replies