Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 04:22 pm
I am so much in need of someones help. Studying for a final and I am suppose to briefly explain these four fragments:
1. It (Being) is uncreated.
2. It (Being) is permanent and unchangeable
3. It (Being) is whole, indivisible, and everywhere continuous
4. It (Being)is identical with the thought that recognizes it.
I thank you so very much.

View best answer, chosen by itslisa75
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 04:50 pm
@itslisa75,
Is this some kind of riddle?

The four statements speak to me of existence, this phenomenon we call reality. Some call it God, but when they do it is not what they speak of anymore. Om, the conceptual singularity of everything...

If this is part of some system of thought or some specific philosophy to which my musings hold little relevance, feel free to disregard my remarks. Smile
Lustig Andrei
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 05:02 pm
@itslisa75,
You could try reading up on it here:
http://www.philosophy.gr/presocratics/melissus.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melissus_of_Samos

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/373966/Melissus-Of-Samos

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10165d.htm

The answers to your questions aren't all that difficult but it is necessary to give them some thought. (1) Being is uncreated. Melissus' argument is that anything which is created must a having a begining, i.e. it has no previous existence prior to its creation. But as Being, by defiition, is eternal, it cannot have been created, (A corollary to this is that if it had no beginnning, it can ahve no end. Thus the eternal aspect is also demonstrated here. You may argue against this, of course, but the logic is sound.)
(2)If Being is uncreated (had no 'beginning'), it can have no end; ergo it is permanaent (eternal) and unchangeable.

Everything else follows from these premises. Read the stuff that the links will take you to. Holler if anything seems unclear. We're here to help.

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 05:05 pm
@itslisa75,
1. (Absolute) Being has no beginning or ending (otherwise it would not be absolute)
2. This follows from 1.
3. If it is absolute it also has no boundaries; it is everywhere.
4. If it is everywhere it must include the thought that recognizes it.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 05:06 pm
@Cyracuz,
See my links, Cyr. I, frankly, had also forgotten about Melissus of Samos; he's not all that famous. Had to look him up. And, btw, your comment about Om, "the conceptual singularity of everything" is right on target. It almost prefigures the Budhist concept, as later expressed by Wilhelm Meister, that "the eye with which I see God is the same eye with which God sees me." And that's pure Zen.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 05:14 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks. From what I read in your post I am interested in finding out more about Melissus of Samos. Completely new to me, I have to admit.
itslisa75

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 05:56 pm
@Cyracuz,
Just wanted to thank everyone so very much. Have a wonderful evening. (:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 08:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's one of my favorite dicta, I see God with the same eye that He sees me. I'm familiar with him as Master Eckhart (best known as Meister Eckhart). It is consistent with my very favorite dictum: Tat tvam asi (that art thou).
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 08:30 pm
@JLNobody,
Most people know him as Meister Eckhart. My fingers were a whole lot faster than my neural functions and cerebral connections. SmileSmile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:13 am
I like these Eleatics!
0 Replies