WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 07:23 am
Was watching ANtiques Roadshow and there was a Lionel train set in PINK. Apparently Lionel made an effort to lure girls into model trains by making an entire pink and pastel railroad. It went over like fried liver on a stick.
There are probably many really great dumb ideas out there that manufacturers have thought of , alcohol was probably involved.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 5,287 • Replies: 27

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 07:52 am
@farmerman,
It is pretty funny that people think that just making something pink = girls will want it.

Lego should have learned a lesson from this Lionel product. Maybe I'll go buy some "girl" Legos and keep them all packaged nice so that I can sell them for big money in a few years!
farmerman

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 09:01 am
@boomerang,
Ha, that lady with the pink train was surpised to learn that her "barbie" Railroad was worth over 10K

How bout the toy"easy Bake" oven that actually baked pies and cookies using a 120 v sunlamp in a highly reflective oven . How many law suits did it take from burnt or electrocuted kids before they figured out that this too was a bad dumass idea.

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 09:08 am
@farmerman,
Heresy!

Easy Bake ovens were fantastic! I adored mine. So what if it took 45 minutes to bake a cookie sized cake? It was totally worth it.

And all those tiny little mixes? Heaven!

I would have never let burns or electrocution stand between me and my cake.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 09:47 am
@boomerang,
Gotta get the girls back into the Easy-Bake cookery....
roger

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 10:11 am
@DrewDad,
And them ease them into the Easy-Mop kit.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 10:19 am
@roger,
They never really made a big mess, but I sure did get offered a lot of cupcakes.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 10:22 am
@roger,
Mo used to LOVE to mop when he was little.

I think it's really goofy when a company decides to make a "girl" version of a "boy" toy by making it pink but I don't have any problem at all with "home" type toys -- ovens, mops, brooms, lawn mowers.

I remember being little and staying home with my mom and I thought she was a god. She was my world. I loved her and I wanted to be just like her. She did those housekeeping things and to me it looked like fun, probably because we could do them together.

As I got older I realized just how essential those skills are.

After Mo came along I realized that all that "help" I gave her probably made a lot of extra work for her. She was such a good sport.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 11:14 am
@farmerman,
I saw that episode last night. I can imagine they had a small roomful of toy engineers/developers in an overnight meeting trying to develop the next big thing.

And at 7:45 in the morning when they found they had no new ideas and the CEO was coming in to discuss their new ideas at 8:00, one sleep riddled employee came up with the idea to add pastel colors to a train set and market the train to the girls of America.

Of course with no other ideas, the group would then run with the sad sacked idea.
Reyn

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 11:49 am
@farmerman,
I also saw that show last night. I thought it was great that the maker tried to cater to girls, too.

Apparently, that train set wasn't very popular and was discontinued.

In the example in the show, if you remember, that lady said she only played once with the train set. I guess that's why it was in such pristine condition.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 11:53 am
How in the world did some long forgotten somebody decided that pink was for girls?
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 11:58 am
@roger,
That's a very good question, Boss. A hundred years ago, the traditional color for baby boys was pink, and blue for baby girls. I can't say why it was switched.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 12:04 pm
@farmerman,
Didn't see this episode, although I try to watch the show as often as possible. But how much were the trains valued at? Sometimes one of these idiotic ideas ends up being an antique of good value.

Did they appraise them at a decent rate?
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 12:04 pm
The Wikipedia article on the color pink gives the following statement:

Quote:
An article in the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department in June 1918 said: "The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl."

They list Smithsonian.com as the source.
roger

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 12:45 pm
@Setanta,
"Fascinating", as Mr. Spock would say.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 01:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
they valued it at over 10K.

We had a "hot dogger" once. It basically fried a hot dog like a convict in an all electric chair. It was also dangerous andit too, was discontinued
farmerman

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 01:27 pm
@farmerman,
Theres a "avlue This" radio show from some place in Flyover land . These two guys, sorta like an antiques version of click and clack, come on and give advice o antique values. They got stumped today with a toy that was actually an old "Steam shovel" that had an electric hookup using a 2 pronged plug (It was probabbly from the 40's)

"Hey thats gotta be one of the dumbest ideas Ive heard of for toys" Said guy 1

"Yeh, 2 pronged plugs on toys should probably not be played with out on the ground where EVERYTHING is a, well.... a GROUND"

"Ill bet that the reason this company folded" (They got stumped because the company folded after just a few years and there wasnt much on the toys)..."was that after the 10th electrocution of Billy lawsuit was run out, they were bankrupt"

Imagie a toy using 120 volt motors without a saftery ground plug, being played with out in the garden.
PAZZAAAAAP!!
Why is Billy' s hair smoking?

________________Nowadays that wouldnt happen. I bought a prepackaged load of camp firewood one year. It was wrapped in plastic and bore the warning CAUTION, Product is flammable"

roger

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 01:48 pm
@farmerman,
Read the label on your toaster. It probably says it shouldn't be used in the bathtub.
thack45

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 02:07 pm
@roger,
Hmm... not mine.

Welp, I'm off to make some quick money.

If I haven't posted for a week or more from today, this plan was probably a bad decision...

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 02:41 pm
I wanted everything in pink when I was a kid and look how fabulous I turned out.

1. Forums
  2. » WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:34:19