Comeo celebrar Cinco de Mayo?

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 02:20 pm
Hoy es Cinco de Mayo. Comeo celebrar?

How do you plan to observe the Cinquo de Mayo holiday? Me, I'm gonna pig out on a gigantic burrito at the local Mexican joint which has the appropriate name of Bueno Burrito. Either that or a taco plate, replete with garbonzos refritos, guacamole, etc. etc.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 02:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-04/46536356.jpg

Have a grapefruit margarita for starters. Salut!
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 02:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
You realize that only us in the western part of the U.S. celebrate Cinco de Mayo - the Mexicans hardly acknowledge their own holiday.....it's just us nut cakes who want to have a legitimate reason to drink margaritas and eat burritos. Laughing

I myself will have a carne asada burrito....mmmmhhh

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/Carne%20Asada%20Burrito-%20Sonora%20Mesquite%20Grill.jpg
margo

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 02:59 pm
I guess Andy's just about as far west in the USA as you can get.

It hasn't made it to the east of the next big land mass yet Very Happy
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 03:02 pm
I went to zumba.. and now I'm sore. Came home to find my husband rearranging furniture. Fun. not.
Next I'm going to go outside and start digging. More fun.
Do I know how to party or what.? ;(
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 03:04 pm
@CalamityJane,
Calamity Jane wrote:
You realize that only us in the western part of the U.S. celebrate Cinco de Mayo

That's not strictly true. The holiday has spread out all over the US wherever there are any sizeable colonies of Mexican-Americans (Chicago, New York, Boston) and in recent years has been picked up by other Hispanic people as an excuse for a Latino-oriented celebration.

Btw, a carne asada burrito is an excellent choice.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 03:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
Here's an interesting take on the differing attitudes toward the holiday, north and south of the border:

Huffington Post wrote:

Cindy Y. Rodriguez
[email protected]

Before buy your plane ticket to Mexico to get the real Cinco de Mayo experience, make sure you don’t go looking for an American-style Mexican St. Patrick’s Day, full of cerveza, bar hopping and, yes, sombreros.

Like visiting Germany for Oktoberfest, traveling to Mexico to celebrate Cinco de Mayo may be a way to heighten or enrich one’s experience.

In 2010, 50 cadets from a Wisconsin military school went to Mexico seeking what they thought would be a wilder version of America’s Cinco de Mayo with parties, drinking and, the general debauchery that seems to accompany the holiday in the U.S., Alejandro Canedo Priesca, secretary of tourism in Puebla, the Mexican state where the battle commemorated on Cinco de Mayo took place in the 19th century, told The Huffington Post. Instead of blow-out parties, the group found reverential parades and G-rated, family-friendly fun.

“They were looking for a party like the one they saw in the states. They liked it but it was another kind of Cinco de Mayo,” Priesca said.

On the other side of the border, Cinco de Mayo is the day on which Mexican commemorate the Battle of Puebla. During that 1862 conflict, a small, Mexican army defeated the invading French colonial army.

“For Mexico, Cinco de Mayo is about our past, our history, our heritage. For Americans, Cinco de Mayo is for your future, for your present,” said Priesca.

more here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/05/cinco-de-mayo-2012-america_n_1480886.html
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 03:29 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/595267/thumbs/s-CINCO-DE-MAYO-2012-large.jpg

Kick up your heels!!
George

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 03:39 pm
Southern fried chicken with sausage gravy and biscuits.

(We'll be taking our son-in-law out for his birthday to his favorite
comfort-food restaurant.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 03:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Our Old Town district has a huge Cinco de Mayo celebration today!

http://www.oldtownsandiegoguide.com/events.html
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 04:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
Good site. I especially enjoyed the background music.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 04:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Forgetting it was cinco de Mayo today (not a big deal for most of my years in L.A. and half my pals were latino), I made a carne adobado with pork last night. Am finally getting the amounts of which kinds of dried peppers close to what hotness/flavor I like.
Just one or two more chili puya should do it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 04:56 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I knew you would, Andy Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 05:42 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Back in 1989, when Mr B and I were planning our wedding, I chose May and told him he could choose any Friday in May. He chose May 5th because a) he has some Mexican roots and b) it's a holiday so he'd never forget our anniversary. We are celebrating 23 years of matrimony tonight. We're dining out at a special restaurant and spending a quiet evening together in our favorite place on the planet.
Setanta

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 05:47 pm
It's very cool that you could make a choice like that.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 06:26 pm
@JPB,
aawww how nice! Congratulations on 23 years of married life, JPB! Smile
Don't forget the margarita tonight!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 07:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

How do you plan to observe the Cinquo de Mayo holiday? Me, I'm gonna pig out on a gigantic burrito at the local Mexican joint which has the appropriate name of Bueno Burrito. Either that or a taco plate, replete with garbonzos refritos, guacamole, etc. etc.

I think you were attempting to conjugate, "How do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo?" If so, it would be, "Como celebra Cinco de Mayo?"
George

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 07:41 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
. . . and spending a quiet evening together in our favorite place on the
planet.
If that's where I think it is, the Bride and I spent our thirtieth there.
Enjoy!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 08:13 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

I think you were attempting to conjugate, "How do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo?" If so, it would be, "Como celebra Cinco de Mayo?"

No, I was trying to say, "Today is the 5th of May. How will you celebrate?" Did I conjugate that wrong?
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 08:49 pm
um,,,out with my oldest dearest friend for Italian at Gallo Nero, (anchovies, mozzerrlla baked together on some kind of crunchy bread) then next door for drinks.
We did meet a couple from NJ who ordered a Margarita Pizza at the bar.

Joe(¡OLE!)Nation