WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 06:53 pm
@margo,
I too despise tour type busses, from my one time effort to see wildflowers, early in my landscape stuff. I nearly died of anger.

At least while you are dealing with this, get a seat away from the back.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 03:33 pm
Before I start to grimace and feel ...well, I don't know how it will make me feel, I must explain that I have been away for a week and have now done quite an extensive search with no luck, but maybe I missed it.

Has there been any mention of Tunisia here over the past week?

I know that Izzy and McTag are OK, but anyone check on Vonny?

Anyone?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 03:45 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Is anyone in touch with Vonny outside of A2K? she hasn't posted in close to a month.

I don't recall reading anything about Tunisia here, but I don't follow the threads where it might have been talked about.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 04:11 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't have a contact email or anything, but maybe one of her quizzing chums have.
I very much doubt whether she wouod have been there, but it was always the case in the past that A2K used to gather and ask for info.....Boston, London 7/7, Paris etc.

Thanks for responding, anyway.

Maybe we're all a bit desensitised nowadays,

Here's something from the beeb, if anyone hasn't a clue as to what I'm banging on about. Poor sods.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33300776

G'night all.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 04:12 pm
@Lordyaswas,
There's been quite a bit of coverage here, but we don't have the same filter the US does.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 04:24 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Since the quiz folks don't seem to leave their enclave it's hard to even guess who knows who.

For what it's worth, none of the people described match what I do know of Vonny's real life circumstances.
cherrie

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 04:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Vonny is fine. She's just taking a break for a while.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 04:41 pm
@cherrie,
Thanks cherrie.

If you're in touch, let us know we're thinking of her. I've been wondering how her garden is.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 05:05 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I've followed the news about Tunisia, mostly in the Guardian but a bit in the Irish Times (I think it was) too.

Vonny hasn't been around a lot lately, but I don't see all threads. Certainly hope she's ok, I miss her.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 01:32 am
@ossobuco,
I'm just amazed at the fact that (seemingly) not a single word about Tunisia has been posted on A2K up until now.

There seems to be reams and reams of stuff about various flags and their meanings, but nothing about a terrorist attack of such magnitude.

What on earth has happened to all our A2K newshounds? Our community?

It sort of showed me just how Americentric A2K actually is. I soon guessed it quite early on, but it sort of slaps one in the face when such trivia in the US (in the great scheme of things) gets thread after thread, yet an atrocity against British people on a scale even bigger than the 7/7 Tube bombings gets not a single solitary word.

Not the A2K of old, that's for sure.

Maybe in this modern, PR driven world we needed a snappy slogan to catch the world's attrntion a bit more.

Maybe "Je suis a British Holidaymaker" ?

Oh well.
FBM

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 02:59 am
@Lordyaswas,
Well, we do try to ignore everyone equally, if that's any consolation.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:05 am
@Lordyaswas,
Well. I haven't been able to bear to look at the story because I'm a bit fragile right now and it affects me too much, Lordy, as does the horror all around

Also I'm hardly here. But don't think there aren't millions round the world grieving
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 04:42 am
@dlowan,
I read the news about the recent Sousse attacks and cringe at the feeling that US and UK did a lot to create this problem .

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 07:26 am
@Lordyaswas,
Hmm.

I read a lot of news, being a retired type person, but I don't start threads on a lot of news reports that interest me - sometimes, but certainly not always. I figure other people on a2k also read. I'm more likely to start one about food, a pleasant subject. That's my choice and scolding me/us for not reporting one of the terror situations is annoying. I'm interested in Tunisia in general, for its changes in recent years. Are you implying that I or we don't care about people from England being victims?

I do (of course) and I also care that Tunisia will lose a good part of its tourism income and about the subsequent cut off of the familiarity that tourism brings to both the Tunisians and the tourists. Plus Tunisians will suffer the fear of Isis even more than they probably already did.

On U.S. newspapers having reports on it, I now rarely look at the major U.S.newspaper sites, because most of them are paywalled. Even the nothing-ing much newspaper from my last and very small hometown in California is paywalled, which puts someone who is still fond of the town and interested in the many people I know there.. left in the lurch after five peeks at individual articles a month. I understand the whys of paywalls, but it leaves information less available to a lot of the population. So......... I don't know how much about the scene at the resort hotel in Tunisia was reported here; I'll bet it was in a lot of the majors, besides the minors I saw it in. Anyway, I do still look at non paywalled u.s. news sites some of the time and did see the attack reported in at least some of those.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 07:39 am
@farmerman,
That too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 01:52 pm
a friend thinks everything I post on FB is directed to her and wants me to stop

I can't get her to understand she's been reading MY page, not her own.

I went to her house twice to show her the difference between her page and mine and she doesn't get it.

grrrrrrrrrrrr

I blocked her and that pissed her off even more.

<sigh>

0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 03:11 am
Jeb Bush showing us all why he's backing Hillary all the way.
FBM

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 03:16 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Jeb Bush showing us all why he's backing Hillary all the way.

Eh? Howzat?

As for me, I got stung by a bee today.

I also spent 5 hours wrestling a refrigerator up to the second floor, where my apt. is.

Half my day was a grimace. (-,-) It is now beer-thirty.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 10:46 am
A car came round a bend on the wrong side of the road, right in front of me.
It was a T-junction actually, and she just cut the corner.
I, going at a sensible speed of course, stopped to give her room.
It usually takes two to create an accident.

She looked a bit embarrassed.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 04:54 pm
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the what made you smile thread. Let's call this a smimace.

I was (and still am) in the mood for chopped liver. I can hear the chopping sounds in my head. I can smell the onions.

My supermarket doesn't have chicken liver, so I decided to check other local markets via the Internet. I typed in chicken liver. I was sent to

Cat food.
Hence the smimace.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 12:21:26