Why does the Universe exist?

Leadfoot

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 08:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It's been an interesting voyage.

I'd ask you about it, but, well, you know...
0 Replies

catbeasy

Tue 20 Dec, 2016 06:06 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
This in my view is where they find the philosopher within their self. "themselves'.

nice..
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 01:41 pm
1 - What's the cause of Existence ? Well it can't be non existence that much is obvious...

2 - What' is the goal of existence ?
Well it can exceed existence itself, how could it ?

The question when pointed at an absolute, at everything, is meaningless !
cicerone imposter

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 03:47 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Existence is because it is.
Just appreciate the fact that we humans can keep records of the past to inform future generations of the information gained.
Fil Albuquerque

Sat 31 Dec, 2016 04:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Existence is because it is.
Just appreciate the fact that we humans can keep records of the past to inform future generations of the information gained.

Exactly the point I made in my previous post.
0 Replies

Cognitive Cape

Sat 21 Jan, 2017 12:05 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
The universe exists for man' s enjoyment. Man is a conceptual being with an infinite capacity for pleasure, happiness, enjoyment, exaltation. The universe provides man with infinite material & resources to pursue his happiness.

Again, the universe is there at all to serve man's need, appetite, & capacity for infinite pleasure.

The universe is as it is because man is who he is as he is with the capacity for infinite pleasure, happiness, enjoyment, & exaltation.

Leadfoot

Sat 21 Jan, 2017 05:47 pm
@Cognitive Cape,
Oh man, I didn't know you were that young :-)

Have a ball
0 Replies

Transit address

Mon 3 Apr, 2017 05:09 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Well,there are two different point of views,one is spiritual and the other is scientific..
According to Hinduism,
Vedas say that before the creation of the universe Lord Vishnu is sleeping in the ocean of all causes. His bed is a giant serpent with thousands of cobra like hoods. While Vishnu is asleep, a lotus sprouts of his navel (note that navel is symbolized as the root of creation). Inside this lotus, Brahma resides. Brahma represents the universe which we all live in, and it is this Brahma who creates life forms.
Vishnu is the personification of the eternal multiverse that exists forever without any beginning or end. Brahma is the personification of our temporary physical universe that was created in the big bang. Brahma is said to have been created from the navel (which is a single point) of Vishnu, described as a lotus blooming out of the navel, much like our big bang universe.

Now this universe represented by Brahma is not a permanent universe, it is temporary, Brahma lives for 100 years, says the Vedas, and then dies and then a new universe (Brahma) is born. So as per Vedas, our universe lives for 100 years. Talking of time measurements - Brahma lives for hundred years say Vedas and we are in the first day of the 51st year of the Brahma.

In the Rig Veda (the first scripture of Hinduism, containing spiritual and scientific knowledge) it says that the universe was created out of the parts of the body of a single cosmic man Purusha when his body was sacrificed. There the four classes (varnas) of Indian society come from his body: the priest (Brahmin) from his mouth, the warrior (Kshatritya) from his arms, the peasant (Vaishya) from his thighs, and the servant (Shudra) from his legs.

Christians and Jews believe in the making of man by God on the sixth day of creation (some 4,000 years ago) out of clay and in His own image, as told in the Book of Genesis. The Muslims believe, similarly, that Allah created Adam, the first man in Paradise, then the first woman, Hawa (Eve). There they lived a perfect life in a perfect universe, far vaster than ours. They were cast to Earth when they committed the first disobedience of God, after a jealous Satan tricked them.

According to Scientific point of view,About 15 billion years ago a tremendous explosion started the expansion of the universe. This explosion is known as the Big Bang. At the point of this event all of the matter and energy of space was contained at one point. What existed prior to this event is completely unknown and is a matter of pure speculation. This occurrence was not a conventional explosion but rather an event filling all of space with all of the particles of the embryonic universe rushing away from each other. The Big Bang actually consisted of an explosion of space within itself unlike an explosion of a bomb were fragments are thrown outward. The galaxies were not all clumped together, but rather the Big Bang lay the foundations for the universe.
There are several similarities in between the scientific theory and the one which was proposed by Hindu vedas.

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Mon 3 Apr, 2017 05:46 am
Because it has no alternative.
coluber2001

Mon 3 Apr, 2017 11:16 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Yeah, no alternative. Good one!

The basic question, why is there anything at all? Science can answer eventually all questions and explain how things work, but why , of course, is the question without an answer. We can't answer it prosaically, we can just stand back in awe and say ah! or wow! at the sheer majesty and sublimity of it all. These are the peak experiences that can only be described metaphorically through poetry and music.
Krumple

Mon 3 Apr, 2017 12:55 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

Yeah, no alternative. Good one!

The basic question, why is there anything at all? Science can answer eventually all questions and explain how things work, but why , of course, is the question without an answer. We can't answer it prosaically, we can just stand back in awe and say ah! or wow! at the sheer majesty and sublimity of it all. These are the peak experiences that can only be described metaphorically through poetry and music.

I find it just as interesting when someone says there are answers we will never know. How can you know what we as a species won't discover or know?
cicerone imposter

Mon 3 Apr, 2017 01:54 pm
@Krumple,
We already know the approximate age of this planet, and the length of time homo sapiens inhabited this earth from science. That's plenty enough for me!
Leadfoot

Mon 3 Apr, 2017 02:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You're so easy!
cicerone imposter

Mon 3 Apr, 2017 03:28 pm
@Leadfoot,
It's easy if you follow science.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 01:54 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Leadfoot wrote:

You're so easy!

cicerone imposter wrote:

It's easy if you follow science.

Sheesh, just get a room...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 03:27 am
@coluber2001,
The stupid question that relates asks why something rather than nothingness...
I have extensively wrriten on the topic and I was not referring to vacuum energy!
Krauss gets on my nerves like no other scientist...

I am under the impression you invoke God, I invoke Being, the Master set, pointless to debate what is it, but I am sure the same answer applies...why?
Because there is no alternative to Being!

A scientist without philosophical intuition can never be a Cosmologist.
It lacks the basic tools to understand the problem at hand.
Leadfoot

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 05:18 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Welcome to the 'Everybody's Heretic' club, where nobody wants to know your name : )
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 01:12 pm
@Leadfoot,
This **** of stuff vs nothingness is a good example, perhaps the best, why giving some pause to conceptual bull needs to be addressed before you start with mathematical fantasy...
When ppl start to try n make the stupid point nothingness is something I point them to the absence of absence.
Same goes with the emergence of spacetime without some previous form of ordering, that is, at least a 1-dimensional space frame. You can't have any laws rules, any abstraction whatsoever, to even start a system let alone a complex one like the Universe. It may well be that spacetime, so it seems, had a beginning, but Space, or in another form, Order of information did not.
Krumple

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 05:02 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Its also possible that space itself is not expanding and is infinite in scope.

There could be another reason the expansion appears to be happening.

It could be that we have multiple big bangs within our universe that did not include space at all.

Galaxies are clumping up into filaments. Its possible that when super massive black holes merge with enough other black holes something might happen that causes them to explode like a big bang.

This means time and space were always present.
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 05:30 pm
@Krumple,
One thing we seem to agree upon, whatever the model, it must be cyclic.
The whole idea of something out of nothingness is pathetic!