http://www.bettybowers.com/melgibsonpassion.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,728 • Replies: 285
No top replies

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:23 am
At first I was outraged that this person called Mel Gibson an adulterer. Where does she get off with something like that???

But I explored further and noticed this site is all about satire.

Silly. Beyond silly.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:23 pm
Satire can be the most pungent kind of critcism and Mel is known around Hollywood for his liasons over the years outside of his marriage. It's no secret around here.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:29 pm
He is? How much is rumour, how much is truth?

I'd never heard it before....not that my not hearing it means anything.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:33 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Satire can be the most pungent kind of critcism and Mel is known around Hollywood for his liasons over the years outside of his marriage. It's no secret around here.

Some friends of ours have a ranch next to his over in Montana - they say he's a great wonderful family guy (this was 3 years ago).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:41 pm
In Montana he may be known as a wonderful family guy. If he has absolutely nothing to confess and has never sinned, then I think he should achieve Sainthood as we speak. Maybe he just confesses to making some bad choice in films? Somehow I don't think the Catholic Church thinks much of Mad Max. He apparantly doesn't think much of them, preferring to indulge in the antiquated version.

The "rumours" are from those in Hollywood who are in high places in the industry. So make you own choices whether they are true or not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:44 pm
In terms of strained and overdone similie and metaphor, that piece of writing is a catastrophe. In terms of satire, it is high-larious. . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:46 pm
I agree, Setanta, that is typical journalistic jargonism but its effect is still outrageously funny.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 03:49 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
The "rumours" are from those in Hollywood who are in high places in the industry. So make you own choices whether they are true or not.

People high up and low down are capable of gossip. I wouldn't make a choice as to their truth unless I knew who the people were and what information they had. I'm just skeptical that way I suppose. About all gossip. Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:06 pm
Then what sins do you suppose Mel is guilty, or in fact capable of? Did he miss his calling in not being a Catholic priest instead being in Mad Max and Lethal Weapon movies? Perhaps it will be the sin of omission -- that there are hidden agendas in making this film.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:51 pm
I'm not saying Mel is incapable of sinning. I'm sure he has done his fair share. My comment was really towards those who think they know what goes on in the life of a celebrity. The existence of such journalistic wonders as The Star and The National Enquirer are proof that gossip exists and illustrate that gossip does not always translate into the truth.

Oh, I don't know if I want to get into the hidden agendas and all that goes with that. At the end of the day, this is entertainment. Provocative yes, but entertainment nonetheless. People who think Mel to be "a sinner" don't have to go see his movie. And others can make up their own minds. They certainly don't need critics for that. Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 05:11 pm
I'm afraid that I am at an advantage here being so close to the industry -- if gossip is that which is straight from the horses mouth, that is, from a woman who Mel cheated on his wife with, then rumours should not be believed.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:27 pm
Well, getting back to the movie...

I saw a preview the other day before a showing of "The Fog of War". Hard to figure why they thought the audience for an Errol Morris film would be all that interested in "The Passion of the Christ" (the full title of Gibson's film), but there I was.

It's as close to the film as I plan to get. Looks bloody as all get out, but Gibson never said it wouldn't be. Oddly enough, I saw a chunk of "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" on the tube last night, and I dug it. Mel leading the feral children in the desert. Great stuff!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:36 pm
Did anyone watch Primetime last night with the interview?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:04 am
No, but here's one of the first reviews in. The film is rated R for violence.

REVIEW OF GIBSON'S "PASSION"
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:02 pm
He couldn't have become a priest, because his father doesn't hold with the Vatican. His nickname is 'Pope Hutton' and his views are just a little on the rabid side of ultra-orthodox:

Quote:
But to people outside his family, "Pope Hutton" was pretty strong meat. He resigned as secretary of the (conservative) Latin Mass Society, calling it "a mere nostalgia group". He formed instead an ultra-conservative group called the Alliance for Catholic Tradition...

It seems the police, if not the Australian Catholic hierarchy, listened carefully to Hutton Gibson's utterances. When the Pope visited Australia in 1986, he was advised that it might be in his best interests to be out of the country. (The fear was not that Hutton might assault the Pope, but that if an attack occurred he might be falsely singled out for blame.)

Pope Hutton

In Australia we affectionately call people with unorthodox views 'ratbags'. This fellow is not one. The only words that spring to mind are 'barking mad'. And if we haven't managed to import enough religious looniness in the last few decades...........
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:52 pm
I just read about merchandise tie-ins for the movie. They are now selling 2 1/4 inch pewter nails on a leather strap to wear around one's neck. Ridiculous. Wearing one of these is like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on and saying, "just thinking of John . . ."
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 01:01 pm
kickycan
kickycan, if its not all about money, its about lusting for power in the pursuit of money.

BBB
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:34 pm
In an interview the actor who plays Jesus, John Caviezel stated that when Mel came to ask him to play the part he was puffing on a cigarette. Apparantly his faith hasn't deterred him from slow suicide which is against scripture.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 05:52 pm
It's a little know fact that Christ was a two-pack-a-day man. Turkish blend, I understand.
0 Replies