How often do you clean out the fridge?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 10:56 am
@Ceili,
A refrigeration part store? never hoid of such a thing - but I'm googling.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 10:58 am
@ehBeth,
we got one of those.

no trader joes or costco, but we have a plumbing and refrigeration joint.

I bet you do, too...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:12 am
@Ceili,
Speaking of shelving, JC, take a look at the photo of your frig. You might want to consider moving the milk to the bottom shelf next to the beer, rather than the top shelf. Your frig temps are warmer at the top.

To stretch the shelf life of your milk, store it on a bottom shelf near the back of the frig.
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
I think he learned what the cold box was after Marco moved in Very Happy
Joeblow

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:32 pm
@jcboy,
I clean ours out three or four times a year. I mean, the big, take every thing out and scrub deal. But somehow it's only once a year or so that I seem to have to throw away all those expired bottles and jars of crap that I never bought in the first place. Where did it come from? No one ever admits it.

I hate that day. I've got to get rid of a quarter inch (or more!) of sludge and guck and then rinse all the jars before I can recycle it. And I've TRIED outwaiting everybody. That doesn't work. They're un-outwaitable.

So I'm pissed off that somehow this is STILL my job even though I got stuck with it as a teenager too.

"But how come I always have to be the one that cleans the fridge Mom?"

"You do the best job," she replied.

Jaysus. That was a lesson. I was doing too good of a job!

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:33 pm
What I like best on my fridge is that I have two big drawers - one for produce the other for meat items and a long one underneath for drinks. It's much more organized this way, and it gets less dirty.....

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2244/screenshot20120419at629.png
Sloan

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 04:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
I like that one. I bought the one with the freezer on the bottom, you have to pile everything on top and then you have to go digging for stuff .
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 05:06 pm
@Sloan,
Mine has the freezer at the bottom also, Sloan! You have this one too?

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/img/mxc/090811_refrigerator.jpg
jcboy

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:49 am
@EqualityFLSTPete,
This is one reason why I love Anthony! LOL

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg17/scaled.php?server=17&filename=textjs.jpg&res=landing
Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:01 am
@CalamityJane,
Looks like mine - other than I don't have the two doors on top - but I do have the below freezer.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:11 am
@jcboy,
Heh!

I just do it as-needed. I cook a lot, so I'm always going through the fridge to see what we have and what we need to use up. Usually I'll do a survey before I decide what to make for dinner that night, and then go to the store to fill in any gaps. (As in, if I have a bunch of avocados that are still fine but probably won't last another day, I'll plan on making guacamole out of them and then plan the rest of the meal around that.)

The goal is to never throw out anything, but we don't always meet that goal. So if I'm going through the fridge looking for ideas for tonight's dinner and find that some of the onions have gotten moldy, for example, I just throw those out. I'll wipe out the drawer they were in, and buy new ones.

Except for power outages (ugh, power outages) I don't think I've ever cleaned out the whole refrigerator at once.
chai2

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:44 am
@sozobe,
Like soz, it's on a PRN basis.

An item here or there.

When I come home from the store with groceries, I'll toss some things as I'm putting the new stuff away. Or else I'll go through the fridge before I go to the store, looking to see what we are out of, and throwing out something in the process.

Yesterday I removed a container of cooked egg noodles left over from something wally made, and a small restaurant container of restaurant barbeque sauce from a takeout, that was too spicy.
0 Replies

Sloan

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 03:03 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes, I have the exact same one. I’m not crazy about the freezer being on the bottom and having to pile everything in, Maybe I need to put some kind of dividers so I can find stuff a little easier.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 05:52 pm
@Sloan,
Yes, you can organize it a bit with small baskets.
Mine came with a divider and also 2 pull out drawers for smaller items.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 06:10 pm
I just finished cleaning out the freezer, again, and realized I've lied in this thread. I do rearrange the freezer a lot and clean the walls and floor of it if I see any schmush. My freezer is small, Shocked, 16" tall, 15 " deep, 24" wide. Plus the door shelves, two of them about 24" long and 4" or so wide. Less space if you subtract the ice cream maker base that I just put back in and the ice cube trays. So I have to pay attention to food packing.

But - I remember my mother's stand alone box freezer. That was always a mystery igloo. What's this??
Back in my last place in california, there was already stand up freezer in the basement that I liked for a lot of reasons but got rid of because of the cost to run the thing in a house where the energy expense was astronomic at the time I moved in. What a luxurious thing to have, though.
0 Replies