Who will be Romney's running mate?

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 09:32 am
I think it will be Marco Rubio. Who do you think it will be?

Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 09:44 am
@Robert Gentel,
Is Elizabeth Dole still around? Oh yeah. She would almost guarantee a close race by capturing Undecideds and maybe Independents and disaffected Dems. I'm guessing she still has plenty of cred after being trounced in 2008 race: Dole lost her seat in Senate seat from NC by a wider-than-expected margin, taking 44 percent of the vote to Hagan.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:03 am
doesn't he have secret service men who accompany him while running?
dalehileman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:31 am
@Robert Gentel,
That’s really a good q, Rob.

Incidentally do you think he has a chance in Hell
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:43 am
@dalehileman,
I think he has a chance, but I think Obama will win by about 3.6% or more (in general vote, not electoral vote).
Irishk

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:47 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
doesn't he have secret service men who accompany him while running?
If you believe the recent news, they're probably too hung over Smile
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:48 am
@Robert Gentel,
I say by 5% which today constitutes a landslide
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:50 am
@Robert Gentel,
I don't think it'll be Rubio. Probably someone non-flashy and boring.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:52 am
@Irishk,
He badly needs something to turn around the Hispanic vote, and Florida is a very important state.

I think that if it is not Rubio it won't be because Romney didn't select him but because Rubio really isn't interested (as he has said) because strategically Rubio is a great fit.
raprap

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:53 am
@Robert Gentel,
As Romney is a Ivy League educated Mormon from New England I would automatically discount anyone who is either a Mormon of from anywhere in the North East (Sanitorium, Christy) and was educated at a state university. So figure someone that would balance the GOP ticket--a self professed Xtian who has denounced gay marriage, is from the south west, went to a state university that appeals to the Teapublicans.

Rick Perry looks like a good fit.

Rap
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:57 am
@raprap,
That is an interesting angle. His biggest personal liability in the primaries really was that lack of a faith fit with the Republican's religious demographic but I saw that as being a bigger factor towards his primary success, now that he's the nominee I think they are going to have to get behind him (as their partisan nature won't let them cross party lines). I think the bigger problems he has right now are with women and hispanics, and he can use his wife (and Democrat gifts) for the former.

And the swing states are so important this time around that I really don't think it makes sense to pander to the party base. He really needs to pull to center for the general election to have a chance.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:01 am
@Robert Gentel,
I agree on the strategic part. I just think even the Republicans would see him picking Rubio as transparently gimmicky. If he wants to go that route, though, he has a few other choices (although maybe not quite as strategically advantageous).
dalehileman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:01 am
@Irishk,
Rob that’s almost a given
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:03 am
the ghost of Reagan?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:11 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
I just think even the Republicans would see him picking Rubio as transparently gimmicky.

That's a doubt I admittedly had had, and that I think their looks exacerbates (being seen as a phony front).
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:35 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I think he has a chance, but I think Obama will win by about 3.6% or more (in general vote, not electoral vote).

Yup, it looks like a runaway. It does have that taste, I will acknowledge that.

But as H. L. Mencken almost said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American electorate." (Especially the ones on the left.)

I think it is quite possible that American liberals will give this election to the Republicans. I think too many liberals and progressives are going to let their anger toward Obama over-ride their good sense…and they are going to give this election away.

I hope with all my heart that I am wrong; I want desperately to be wrong. But I have this ugly feeling that the American left will figure out a way to lose this thing.

I certainly know many who are doing their best to trash Obama as often and as much as possible toward that end.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
Because nobody has yet mentioned him I'd like to throw out Rob Portman as another front-runner.
Irishk

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That's a name we agree on. (Non-flashy and boring). Well-spoken, though.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I think it will be Marco Rubio. Who do you think it will be?
I think Romney needs some Star Power to pull off the win. Maybe Bruce Willis?
raprap

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:09 pm
@rosborne979,
Getting a little long in the tooth to continue to kick ass in the third act.