Alan Dershowitz: Prosecutor has jack ****; indictment of Zimmerman unethical

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:13 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Dershowitz may be right that they wont convict him which just shows how fucked up our justice system is.
I guess were all going to have to wear guns on our hips to protect ourselves from the nuts.
That is like complaining that u r all going to have to carry health insurance
against the chance of getting heart attacks.
Guns are health insurance; for REAL.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:17 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
and the word of a scumbag
who helped defend a double murderer means what exactly
Acccording to THIS GUY,
if HE decides that someone has commit a double murder
then the accused has no right to a trial
and a lawyer who defends him is a bag of scum.

Have it your way, in your own country; maybe u do it that way there.

David
djjd62

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

djjd62 wrote:
Acccording to THIS GUY,

are you saying there are no lawyers who knowingly proclaim the innocence of guilty people? (lawyers on retainer for mobsters spring to mind)

to the best of my knowledge i've never defended a double murderer

perhaps the same can be said for dershowitz

but i doubt it
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:40 am
@djjd62,

djjd62 wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Acccording to THIS GUY,

djjd62 wrote:
are you saying there are no lawyers who knowingly proclaim the innocence of guilty people?
(lawyers on retainer for mobsters spring to mind)
I don 't remember exactly WHAT
thay have said. I will not comment on a quote without reading it.

djjd62 wrote:
to the best of my knowledge i've never defended a double murderer
Does this imply that u r a criminal defense attorney in your country??

djjd62 wrote:
perhaps the same can be said for dershowitz

but i doubt it
EVERY criminally accused defendant has the right to a trial, not just the innocent ones.

David
djjd62

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Does this imply that u r a criminal defense attorney in your country??

no, i may be reprehensible, but not enough to be a lawyer
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:54 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Unfortunately this case has drawn a very rookie judge, just a couple of months on the job. You have to wonder about why this was allowed to happen...

Because cases are assigned to judges at random.
parados

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:56 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

You mean they aren't assigned specifically to attack hawkeye and his stance on women?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:56 am
@hawkeye10,
Did you mean a couple of years? The article you posted says she joined the bench in 2010. Also, those two pictures are of different women. Who's the first one?
parados

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:09 am
@FreeDuck,
It appears the other one is Judge Debra Krause.

http://cmfmedia.org/2010/06/judicial-review-meet-the-candidates/

All those female judges look alike. (It's a misogynist thing.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:08 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Thanks Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:11 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

It appears the other one is Judge Debra Krause.

Indeed. And the photo is showing Debra Krause as candidate for "Seminole County Judge Group 5" in the 2010 election.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:13 am
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-11/news/os-george-zimmerman-stand-your-ground-hearings-20120411_1_eric-sandhaus-craig-sandhaus-milton-torres

Turns out, Zimmerman is entitled not only to a jury trial but also to a self-defense hearing at which charges could and probably would be dropped:

Quote:

George Zimmerman: Self-defense hearing could dismiss death charge
10:07 p.m. EST, April 11, 2012|
By Henry Pierson Curtis, Orlando Sentinel

George Zimmerman can ask to have the second-degree-murder charge against him dropped without having to stand trial in the death of Trayvon Martin.

Two years ago, the Florida Supreme Court ruled that anyone claiming "stand your ground" immunity in a death, battery or assault case can request a hearing on the evidence.

The hearing allows the prosecution and defense to argue all the elements of self-defense in the case evidence. To get charges dismissed, the accused must convince the judge that a reasonable person would believe that using deadly force or the threat of deadly force was the only way to protect his or her life, court records show.

The state's "stand your ground" law passed in 2005 says:

Quote:
"A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

In its Dec. 16, 2010, ruling, the state Supreme Court stated that defendants claiming self-defense are entitled to evidentiary hearings to argue that the evidence in their cases proves they had the right to protect themselves.

The most recent of these hearings in Orlando failed.

The case involved a fatal knifing in May 2011 at a popular downtown bar, The Lodge, where Craig Sandhaus claimed he stabbed bouncer Milton Torres to protect his younger brother Eric Sandhaus. The brothers were being ejected when a fight began and Craig Sandhaus stabbed Torres, 25, three times in the heart, pelvis and hip, according to testimony at the hearing.

"I was scared for my brother," Craig Sandhaus said. "The only thing I could possibly do was stab Torres."

Orange County Circuit Judge Alan Apte disagreed in February and ordered Craig Sandhaus to stand trial on a charge of second-degree murder. Apte ruled that Sandhaus could have used less force and that he did not have a carry concealed weapon permit for the knife that was larger than a common folding knife.

A pretrial hearing is set July 30.

A successful hearing in Broward County involved a 2009 confrontation on Interstate 95 between truck driver Julio Abreu Jimenez, who was charged with pulling a gun and threatening another truck driver. After pulling off the highway, Jimenez claimed he drew his weapon only after the other driver left his truck and approached him in a threatening manner, court records show.

The charge of aggravated assault with a firearm was dropped at the end of the one-hour hearing.

"We thought the facts of the case were clear-cut," said Fort Lauderdale attorney Daniel Berman, who began his career with the Orange-Osceola Public Defender's Office. "We were surprised he was even charged."

Berman said he thinks Mark O'Mara, Zimmerman's lawyer, will request an evidentiary hearing as part of his defense of Zimmerman's "stand your ground" claim.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:20 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Unfortunately this case has drawn a very rookie judge, just a couple of months on the job. You have to wonder about why this was allowed to happen...

In the past I have read journalism which claims that the lottery system for assigning cases is not always used for high profile cases. I am not sure if this is correct, or if this court ever nullifies the lottery system.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:59 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Our most immediate need is for a president and AG who do not join lynch mobs.

Repeating this does not make it true.

Offering sympathy is not joining a lynch mob.

Suggesting that someone might be prosecuted is not a lynch mob.

Lynching is an extrajudicial execution.
0 Replies