Shock Wave Crashes

Seed

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 09:16 pm
So looking to all my computer savvy friend out there. Shockwave keeps crashing in my browser. Mostly just in chrome but every once in a while in firefox.

I have updated to Shockwave 11 and have done the fix of disabling the conflicting Flash addon in chrome. I deleted chrome and firefox and crap cleaner then reinstalled but it is still crashing. any help would be great.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,853 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Seed

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 09:18 am
@Seed,
anyone able to help with this?
djjd62

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 09:22 am
@Seed,
sadly no, but i'll give it a bump
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 09:42 am
@Seed,
Here's some discussion on this crashing issue:

http://www.howtogeek.com/103292/how-to-fix-shockwave-flash-crashes-in-google-chrome/
Ceili

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 09:44 am
@Ragman,
I have the same problem, I use Chrome as well.
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 03:23 pm
@Ceili,
Sorry you're having computer trouble. Have you tried to do what the link indicates? There is a pretty good tutorial.
Ceili

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 05:18 pm
@Ragman,
I will tonight, sorry I should have acknowledged the link, I hope it will help. Thanks..

This computer has been nothing but problems since I got it, so it's really just one more tick on the list of why I'd never get the same thing again. No worries, I was hoping to get my Mac back this weekend, but I forgot that it was Easter and the geeks took the weekend off.. C'est la vie.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 05:58 pm
@Ceili,
As an aside -

There's apparently a mac trojan infecting a lot of machines. A Forbes article had a link on what to do about it and my mac was said to be free of it when I ran that.

Well, I don't see the Forbes article right now, but there are several hundred others showing on google news:
http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&ncl=dcA54pgIS2-bR3MubFZ_e4jWnZUmM&topic=tc
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 06:48 pm
@ossobuco,
This apparently is not the case of a malware issue as was indicated in the Google news article. Anyone with this particular problem should follow the simple tutorial in the link.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 06:50 pm
@Ragman,
I said it was an aside.
Ceili and I have macs, I thought she might like to know about that.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 09:41 pm
@Ragman,
did the fix in the tutorial, did not fix my issue Sad
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 06:37 am
@Seed,
Perhaps there's a Tech support for the Shockwave product?

Personally, I don't use Shockwave. Can you contact their Tech Support?

I noticed in the tutorial the following info:

"The reason we’re talking about Chrome and not, say, Firefox, is because of the way Chrome handles Flash content. While other browsers call upon the Flash installation of the host system, Chrome includes an internal Flash installation. When everything goes smoothly this isn’t a problem—the internal Flash installation is updated with every new Chrome release.

Unfortunately things can fall apart pretty easily if Chrome gets confused and attempts to utilize both the OS installation of Flash and the internal Chrome installation of Flash. The result is serious browser lag, temporary lockup, and then a browser-wide crash of all active Flash instances. You don’t realize how many web sites use Flash until every single tab locks up with a crash warning—”The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash ... ”

"First of all, despite the warning about Shockwave, the actual warning has nothing to do with Adobe Shockwave which is a separate program/multimedia system from Adobe Flash. Second, while not every instance of Flash flaking out in Chrome can be attributes to a Flash install conflict, we’ve found it to be the most common reason users are experiencing Flash-related problems.

How can you tell if a Flash conflict is the source of your trouble? Run Chrome. In the address bar, type about:plugins in the address bar. After you press enter you’ll be greeted with a list of all the plug-ins installed in Chrome (this is different than user-installed Extensions). Look down the list of plug-ins for the Flash entry. If the entry looks like Flash (2 Files) there is a very good chance the source of your Flash-related crashes is a conflict between the two. "
0 Replies