Is this weird, or normal?

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 02:37 pm
Mo calls me all the time from school. I have no idea how he gets to use the phone so much. When I was in school we only got to use the phone for emergencies.

Like today -- he called me up and asked "When is the next super moon?"

It's almost always some strange little question.

The school has never said one word about it to me.

No, he doesn't have his own phone to call from.

Do they just let kids use the phone at school whenever or is this something weird?

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 03:03 pm
@boomerang,
That's kinda sweet.

I think that would be frowned upon at our school, but there's more talk about parents calling children than vice versa. There are some rather strongly-worded requests in manuals and such saying to only call your child at school if it's something really important.

I don't think my kid's called me from school once -- or her dad, which is probably a better indicator (since I can't receive a call anyway).

When she's sick, I get an email from the school nurse or secretary.

The rest of our communication tends to happen via cell, after school. (Arranging post-school plans, or sending me a photo of the huge bug they found in the hallway that day during school -- but that is still after school that she tells me about it.)

There recently was a huge fire alarm scare (evidently dust set off the fire alarm, full evacuation, a bunch of firetrucks showed up, the fact that it was a false alarm wasn't apparent for a while), I learned about it via Facebook from someone who lives near the school. Nothing from her.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 03:04 pm
@boomerang,
its weird - well I don't know if its weird at his school, but I've never gotten a call from my kids while they were at school with the school's phone or not. They are not supposed to bring their cell phones to call as well.

Actually there may have been one instance when in their aftercare program the teacher there allowed them to use their cell phone once to call - but it was an unusual circumstance.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 03:07 pm
@boomerang,
My kids used to call me all the time with goofy questions. I think it has more to do with the secretary (if she's nice -assuming she's a she) and if the kids have abused the privilege in the past or not.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 03:16 pm
Ha!

These replies really run the gamut!

It doesn't bother me that he calls, it just seems kind of strange. It's been so many years (30+! Ach!) since I was in school that I didn't know if things had changed. I know they have phones in all the classrooms and I was wondering if maybe he's just helping himself.
Stormwatch

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 05:05 pm
@boomerang,
At our school we let kids use the phone ( with permission) for an occasional call home. Usually it's for a forgotten lunch or to check on their afterschool plans. Sometimes kids just need to touch base with parents. It's really up to the teacher and their determination of the need. It definately makes it easier that there are phones in each room. We actually have a dial out code so kids aren't helping themselves.
boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 05:40 pm
@Stormwatch,
Oh thanks for that.

Mo often has the need to "touch base" with me and he's had a ..... difficult... week this week. His teacher is aware of his issues with this so maybe she's just very generous with phone privileges when she can tell that he has that need.
Stormwatch

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 05:52 pm
@boomerang,
Sounds like a good teacher. I personally would rather see teachers be proactive and allow the little things that make a big difference to a kid in the long run. If a phone call home, and extra walk in the hall, a little visit to the school nurse etc., make a kid's day go smoother, then go for it. I get pretty peeved at the teachers who just can't allow themselves to give an inch because it might look like someone is getting special privileges. Our principal always says " Fair isn't everyone getting what they want, fair is everyone getting what they need". Pretty good philosophy I think.
boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 06:04 pm
@Stormwatch,
I wish I could give you and your principal a hundred thumbs up and a hug and a check for a million dollars.

She is more than a good teacher, she's a good person. This has been Mo's best year yet and I know that much of it has to do with her.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 06:06 pm
@boomerang,
I remember when I was in junior hi school, in New York,
there were several fone booths. I had no interest in using them.
I ignored them, but if I 'd ever wanted to use the fone,
for sure it woud never have occurred to me to ascertain
how the school administrators felt about it.

I looked upon them about the same as the people
who ran the local post office: just functionaries.
I did not care what thay thought about anything.
I don 't remember whether there were fone booths in the senior hi school.
There were in college and in law school.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 06:14 pm
@Stormwatch,
Stormwatch wrote:
Sounds like a good teacher. I personally would rather see teachers be proactive and allow the little things that make a big difference to a kid in the long run. If a phone call home, and extra walk in the hall, a little visit to the school nurse etc., make a kid's day go smoother, then go for it. I get pretty peeved at the teachers who just can't allow themselves to give an inch because it might look like someone is getting special privileges.

Our principal always says " Fair isn't everyone getting what they want, fair is everyone getting what they need". Pretty good philosophy I think.
In a PUBLIC school,
let 's not lose sight of who is working for whom.
The teachers get paid to work for the students.
The students do not get paid to work for the teachers.

David
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 06:17 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I wish I could give you and your principal a hundred thumbs up and a hug and a check for a million dollars.

She is more than a good teacher, she's a good person. This has been Mo's best year yet and I know that much of it has to do with her.

Thanks for that. Kind words go a long way, especially these days when teachers and the whole education system are often frowned on.
boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 10:02 am
@Stormwatch,
I feel terrible for teachers. The rock and the hard place they find themselves between right now doesn't seem to have any way to escape. It pisses me off.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 10:17 am
@boomerang,
Great news about Mo having a good/best year!
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 10:27 am
My son's 10 years old, he has his own cell phone and carries it around but is not to have it on while in class, he always calls me at lunch time Wink
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 02:49 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

She is more than a good teacher, she's a good person.

This has been Mo's best year yet and I know that much of it has to do with her.
Most hearty CONGRATULATIONS! on Mo's success, boomer!!!
I hope that his achievement has brawt Mo great and intense JOY!!!!!

I take it that this refers to his getting hi grades in his courses ???

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 02:55 pm
@EqualityFLSTPete,
EqualityFLSTPete wrote:
My son's 10 years old, he has his own cell phone and carries it around but is not to have it on while in class,

he always calls me at lunch time Wink
That shows that he has a HI OPINION of u!!!
Its an honor !

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 06:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Mo is not a particularly joyous child regarding school and I doubt he ever will be.

But yes, his grades are good. Some of them are outstanding. Some are still a struggle.

His teacher is really top notch. She's my ally.

His school got a new principal last year and she's really come into her own this year. We have kind of an odd thing in common and I'm her go-to girl when the schools needs any painting done. We've spent several long Saturdays doing projects together and talking and talking and talking. She's made a real difference for us too.
0 Replies