If you have a matress "topper", how do you deal with sheets?

Butrflynet

Thu 5 Apr, 2012 06:09 pm
I have a 4 inch memory foam mattress topper, graduated up from a 2 inch when it needed to be replaced several years ago. They do make extra deep fitted sheets, but they slipped off the corners almost every night.

The fitted sheet problem drove me nuts until I finally just started using flat sheets on the bottom and not tucking them in (more like a bedspread). The mattress does slip all over the place, but takes several days to do so before it needs to be pushed back in place.

The problem I have now is being able to buy just the flat sheets when I want to and not an entire set with fitted sheets.

I love the mattress topper. I'm a side sleeper and it gives extra support for my back. Every now and then when my back is in spasms, I have to remove the topper and sleep on my back on the more firm mattress. The mattress topper is heavy for one person to move around.

If and when I have the money, my next investment in a bed is going to be a sleep number bed that I can adjust every night as needed.
boomerang

Thu 5 Apr, 2012 06:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for the testimonial, Buterflynet. I'm sure I can work something similar with our sheets....

Be careful with those sleep number beds. Our friend had a huge problem with mold and I've heard that it's common. I also heard that they've fixed the problem but those beds are SO expensive you need to be careful.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 5 Apr, 2012 11:36 pm
I'm not sure this would work, but you might try it. Get some of that thick elastic webbing, not sure what it's called, like about 2'' wide and a bit shorter than the length of the distance between your sheet edges when they're tucked in under the bed. Sew a couple clips to each end of the elastic and clip them to the sheets under the bed--the elastic is shorter than the distance so it puts tension on the sheets. Put a couple clips on each end, so they spread the force on the sheet out between them, so it's less likely to rip. Which might prevent the sheets from coming off the bed corners. Maybe run the elastics from top right corner to bottom left, and so on, so they make an X under the middle of the bed and can't easily pull off the ends or the sides of the mattress.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 11 Apr, 2012 07:01 pm
Okay. I ordered it. Now I'm kind of excited to get it but that's probably because I haven't paid for it yet. I have the money in cash so I can keep it a surprise and let me tell you -- that was some weirdness.

It had better be comfortable!
0 Replies

mckenzie

Wed 11 Apr, 2012 07:34 pm
If you sleep "hot", the mattress toppers make it worse.

As far as sheets, I found these at Bed Bath and Beyond last year, after a long search, and bought a set. They wear very well, so I just bought another couple of sets. They fit up to a 24-inch mattress, and they are the best I've found:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=121724&RN=163&

Priced very, very well if you use a 20% off coupon from B, B and B.
boomerang

Wed 11 Apr, 2012 08:43 pm
@mckenzie,
Hey, mckinzie! Long time, no see!

This topper is made from the same thing our bed is and the bed doesn't sleep hot at all.

I'll check those sheets out. Thanks. That is one thing that is kind of a pain in the ass about this bed. Tight sheets can make it less comfortable. Weird.
0 Replies

Karlpt

Fri 10 Aug, 2012 01:59 pm
@boomerang,
I think sheets have not much role but its good if you are using. I guess he must change its mattresses and try new soft one. Memory foam mattresses are helpful in recovering from back pain problems
0 Replies

Tauamom

Sat 18 Jan, 2014 07:49 pm
@boomerang,
I have a mattress topper from Costco that I was ready to toss until I went to IKEA in the rug dept. And purchased a gray non skid sheet. I didn't give it much hope, but I put it on between my topper and my mattress and the pad hasn't moved since. I am thinking of making my own bottom sheets. The 16 inch deep one from walmart is just too small. I have been looking for demensions for a 20" one on line.
roger

Sat 18 Jan, 2014 08:21 pm
@Tauamom,
Interesting solution.
0 Replies

Intan1212

Thu 16 Apr, 2015 03:30 am
If you sleep "hot", i think you choose the Serta brand. Y
0 Replies

saab

Thu 16 Apr, 2015 04:44 am
I am not sure I have grasped exactly what styleyou have. But I do not like the sheets which are shaped and with a rubber band. I do not tuck a sheet in anywhere. Just let it hang loosely. Have used matress toppers for ages.
The beds look a bit like this.
I have stayed in hotels where the bottom sheet is loosly put on the bed. Easier to make.
http://images.styleroom.se/image/scaled/normal/bz4q/1/222061-sovrum.jpg
0 Replies