Oil painting signed by Lucas

nards01

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 12:43 am
I have an oil painting that bears only the signature "Lucas". I've searched and can't seem to find anything about this artist. Who is he and is this painting legit!! It is a beautiful painting of a scene, probably in Italy - two buildings bearing flower boxes in the windows with a cobblestone street down the middle and a view of the sea. Thanks for any help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 13,770 • Replies: 19
No top replies

vineyard

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 01:23 pm
@nards01,
Hi, I have three oil paintings by presumably the same artist. One is signed simply 'Lucas' and the other two are signed, 'A Lucas.' They are all of the same theme (Italian street, flower boxes, cobbled streets, sea view.) Unfortunately, I know nothing about the artist and stumbled upon your question because I was looking him or her up too. Did you have any luck? By the way, where do you live? If you're in the same vicinity as me, he or she may be fairly local. I'm in Northamptonshire.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 05:25 pm
@nards01,
Sounds like tourist crappola, not to be mean, but the way I think it is.

Enjoy the paintings for themselves.
0 Replies

Caesars Palace

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 09:17 pm
@nards01,
We have just picked up a painting of a cobble stone street looking down a incline with buildings on each side with flower boxes to a view of the ocean. Ours is a 72 X 48 oil on canvas signed by "Lucas" We purchased ours in Las Vegas.
0 Replies

FreakyFerret

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 06:07 pm
@nards01,
Okay, this is getting a bit comical. Have to agree with the other gents comment that this must be the same "tourist crap." Tourist crap or not, it's a nice scene and painting. I reside in Seattle but bought while on a biz trip to SFO - from a place named Ravanelli's on Grant Street. After buying and having shipped home, came to learn that the store owner has little to no integrity. But perhaps that’s a story for another time. And we're happy and pleased with the painting and framing. I was not looking for anything "valuable" rather just something nice that went with the home decor. So we got what we wanted. But my curious search for who "Lucas" is led me here. As the other guy said, just enjoy it for what it is. I would post a photo of it here if I could. All the other descriptions are spot on: Old villa on right, cobble stone walkway down incline with colorful flowers near front left corner overlooking what appears to be a Mediterranean coastline, also on the left, and the ocean in the center (more or less) with clouds above. Quite nice actually. Ours is about 57" x 46" (incl. framing).

So can't answer the question as to who Lucas is but know it sounds like a mass produced piece. Enjoy it nonetheless and stop searching for who Lucas. Probably a fictional character anyway - yes, that's my cynical side popping up.

0 Replies

cheye

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 03:52 pm
I also have a lucas bought it for 1.00 at an auction. It is an original and hung in the dresser rand for years...mine is of a city street with the road way looking like a mirror. It has seens of people and vehicles and an old clock tower..it appears to be a European city. We put ours on Craigs list once for 150.00 or best offer and we had so many responses and some offering more that we decided that we better get appraised before we sell. Unfortunately we have yet to get appraised bit it is beautiful no matter the value
jonrambo

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 04:31 pm
@cheye,
@cheye Hey! Bought my A Lucas in some antique shop in Saulkrasti, Latvia. The owner is bringing cool stuff from Germany. I can tell that canvas is quite old and the painting looks similar to ones that everyone describies.

you can check it here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZMvdn9zek3d0pudHVvZVBBaTFKak50V2J4ZTFRdmhBM1BR/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZMvdn9zek3Q3I3YVdJYlEzVGNBWUxWTWxXYW5PbHpqRmVB/view?usp=sharing
johnherrod

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 04:58 am
@nards01,
Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies

kreppant

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 05:49 am
I have just purchased an A.LUCAS French street scene on E-Bay for the magnificent sum of £10.

It will never be the gift that will pay my grandson through College but it looks OK.

And hey... an original for a tenner.

Anthony
0 Replies

vivienne2830

Reply Fri 12 May, 2017 10:20 am
I have an oil painting by A. Lucas that I bought whilst in Spain 40 years ago. I presumed that it was a Spanish Street Scene. Having just taken it back from my parents' house I was keen to see who A. Lucas was. Reading these comments, I am none the wiser but still enjoy looking at it anyway.
0 Replies

angelaj2k

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2017 07:46 pm
I have an oil painting signed by Lucas, it is a tall ship on the ocean. This painting belonged to my aunt in Spain and brought it to Canada when she immigrated. After she passed it was given to me. It would be nice to know if it's worth amything, it seems like it could be about 40 years old. How do i upload a photo of the painting?
0 Replies

emmett grogan

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 09:06 pm
Decorator art. Worth around $600. There is a healthy market for this stuff.
0 Replies

Poppyniks

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 12:42 pm
@jonrambo,
Looked at your picture and we have one if the exact same scene we just have a cover on the top window on the right hand side . I have taken a photo and very similar but obviously very different

If I could put a picture on here I would
Got mine from a clearance In hertfordshire
0 Replies

Tom-will

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2017 09:17 pm
@nards01,
May be he is an ordinary painter, if I like a picture I don't care about who is the author of it, but sometimes because the author went to buy a picture, the picture I think you should be very beautiful
0 Replies

semb1314

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2017 09:42 pm
@nards01,
If you want help, you need to upload a photo of the painting.
Alto606

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2017 03:56 pm
@semb1314,
I’ve got two paintings signed by this mysterious Lucas person. They are oil on canvas, are about 3 feet square, and were purchased at an art gallery in Connecticut in 1975. I know nothing more.

You can see them here: https://www.facebook.com/christine.wands/posts/10155893263923607
0 Replies

Lraymond

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 06:51 am
A Lucas
Oil painting of 2 galleons
Slight damage
In gold frame
Trying to establish how much its worth?
Any help greatly appreciated
Not sure how to put a picture on here
Thanks
Region Philbis