How many of you had stop using your radios at home?

BillRM

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 09:13 am
I find that I now never turn on any of the radio recievers at home but instead stream such programs over the net.

So is AM and FM bradcast technology another technology on it way out due to the internet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 4,513 • Replies: 37
No top replies

raprap

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 09:26 am
@BillRM,
Two of the local Public Radio ststions--one is dedicated to Jazz and Blues, the other to traditional and bluegrass. I prefer these two stations as I don't have to waste my time programming and I get to hear new material. Sometimes, I'll webfi other public radio stations over the web to stations I know elsewhere that is out of my present FM range.

AM radio has been lost to right wingnuts, FM to classic rock and modern country western (emasculated classic rock).

Rap
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 09:29 am
@BillRM,
Since I started to use Slacker radio around January and the online streaming freatures for NPR on my BluRay player, I have no need to bring home my portable radio from work to listen to the radio at home.

I do still listen to the radio at work because online streaming at work is limited to a really small amount of stations (I can only get WGBH, Boston's public radio stations where everything else is pretty much blocked). I tend to listen to WNYC on my radio at work.

I believe for that reason (people listening to the radio at work yet are blocked from streaming radio and other online content) is why AM and FM radios will be around for a long time. An incidental consequence by system admins draconian need to block as many streaming websites to protect their fellow employees from that raging river of possible distraction from work.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 09:48 am
I like to listen to the radio, usually classical music, news, plays - a lot of things.
I have a radio in every room except in the living room.
Of course also in the car.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 09:50 am
Last year, I bought three radios. They all three worked two or three times then quit. I wanted one for emergency use.
I listen to the car radio quite a lot, when I get tired of CDs.
I don't have the newer gadgetry.
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 10:02 am
@edgarblythe,
I keep one web radio in the stdio. we have a wireless set p so I programmed several of my world favorite stations.

NO BILL radio will not become obsolete becase even yo admit to programming its content. Yore confsing the content with the delivery system. MAybe we wont call it radio in another 10 years bt so waht? its still the same stuff.

If its only msic yo like, then most cable companies have an "HD" sond format bank of stations that play all kind of msic. I too decry the crappy phase pof contry msic we are into now.

Most of the rock I like is called "Classic" and I like several kinds of jazz and baroqe music (We have a baroque station too). We also have about 7 Hispanic stations, 5 rap and hip hop (Im not sre of the difference), several "World music" and "easy listening", Big BAnd, and music of the several decades starting with 1940's throgh today.
Also on this are several devotional and preaching stations if yo need to listen to the rev whatever preach about how you are doomed for hell.

On web radio I sally wold rather listen to CBC, some South AMerican stations , and India.

However, I DO think that web radio is replacing the CONTENT that had previously been the sole property of SHORT WAVE.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 11:10 am
While technology might eliminate over the air radio broadcasts someday, a transistor radio still allows one to hear music, or talk, when not in a convenient place for a computer.
chai2

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 11:38 am
@Foofie,
Funny, I just realized that at 53, I've never personally owned a radio, except for the one in my car.

I can probably count of 1 hand the number of times I've listened to the radio in my own home, where I was the one who turned it on.

I generally only listen to talk radio, or music, while I'm driving, or the occassional CD which gets put in for a song or 2, then taken out again. More than half the time the radios off too.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 11:42 am
listen to the radio on a daily basis, every morning, i'd never know what was going on otherwise, as i rarely read a paper or watch tv news (can'tget the one national news i used to watch since the switch to digital from analog, and realy only watch the local news for the weather forecast)
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 12:00 pm
What’s a radio? Cool

I never turn on the radio, not even in the car. I plug my iphone into the car and listen to it.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 12:09 pm
@jcboy,
I turn it on when I drive. I'm too cheap or lazy to put a cd player in...

but we turn it on when the weather gets precarious mostly.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 12:12 pm
We've (digital) radios in all our rooms and in the car.
And listen to it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 12:14 pm
NPR wakes me up, the local & national CBC plays on and off in the rest of the house depending on the day
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 01:11 pm
Ever since the FCC and congress had allow large firms to buy out the bulk of local radio stations the choice of type of broadcast to listen to is getting smaller in most markets.

In the Miami area, as far as english language radio is concern, we have four repeat four sport stations, two right wing talk stations and a few religous stations and so on.

Music stations are so so and I do not care in any case with my MP3 player providing all my needs in that area.

Miami do not have any general talk show radio or news stations or...........

Other then the local NPR station it is hardly worth turning on in my opinion.

I listern to the all news CBS station in Detroit and for general talk show radio I listern a Miami base internet only radio station at soflradio.com manned by former talk show hosts force off the air as thier former stations got turn into either right wing talk and or sport stations.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 03:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Last year, I bought three radios. They all three worked two or three times then quit. I wanted one for emergency use.

Is it a fair assessment that you bought the three cheapest radios out there in the market? They go under the brand Suny? Pangasonic? Generic brand radio? All sold out from the back of a homeless man's shopping cart for less then $4 each? Just curious....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 03:32 pm
I don't recall brand names. Each radio cost more than the one preceding, but higher cost did not help in these cases. I forgot to mention that I have used the same clock radio to wake up in the morning for many years.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 06:05 pm
Having a small transistor fm radio, with an ear attachment, on 9/11 allowed me to be less anxious as I walked a good part of the way home from downtown Manhattan. That day cell phones did not work here, since the main cell phone tower was on the Twin Towers. If for nothing else, I believe a transistor radio is needed for disaster readiness.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:33 am
@BillRM,
The only radio I ever use is in the car, and if I could get internet radio there as well, I probably would.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:47 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

The only radio I ever use is in the car, and if I could get internet radio there as well, I probably would.
Well, I could get internet radio with the radio in my car .... but I only use the normal digital radio - I like to listen to music in a better quality Wink
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 08:56 am
@BillRM,
I still use radios at times. They are just the thing at night or in early morning or the center of the day when I don't want to turn the computer on. Besides I don't care for Internet radio it detracts or is that distracts from concrete concentrationing.

AM radio is good for news stations and sports and they run a few other things. FM gives different music programs. It's nice in the evening to be settled with a book and a peaceful music is softly playing.

A few years ago in 1 of my medical situations a friend brought in a small transistor radio which also has a clock. It fits in the palm of my hand, must use earphones as it has no speaker, runs on 2 batteries, still works. Having it while I was in there kept me going. I still use it during the night when I wake and am unable to quickly return to sleep. Check sports and news, hear some music and check the talkers and call-in shows, start drifting back to sleep.