The politics of hoodie wearing

gungasnake

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:01 am
The impression I'm starting to get is that the happy ending in this story would have been for BOTH of these idiots to have been shot and either killed or injured badly enough to take them off the streets for a few years.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:02 am
@gungasnake,

Quote:
Zimmerman clearly was stalking him (like a predator stalks its prey, David)....
gungasnake wrote:
LSOS wonders why people vote his **** down without bothering to read it....
What is "LSOS" ??
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:05 am
@djjd62,
gungasnake wrote:
By the same token, when you try to literally beat the life out of somebody and the somebody has a gun, you probably shouldn't be terribly shocked or surprised when you get shot.
djjd62 wrote:
really, beat the life out of him, he seems to be pretty mobile and non life beaten out of in the police video, i mean he got out of the car under his own power, he didn't seem to be limping or in need of support when he walked, he even looked pretty clean (if the paramedics cleaned him up, the police must have taken some pics of his injuries as evidence, they could help themselves immensely by releasing them)
It does not seem to matter much to Mr. Z, who remains free,
but TV network news has released enhanced pictures showing injuries on him.

David
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:24 am
@parados,
A few tea part rallies ...

http://www.theipinionsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/teapb.jpg

http://media.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/photos/tea_partysm/tea_party14.jpg
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:27 am
@hawkeye10,
You don't seem to know what a parka is hawkeye.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:49 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
really, beat the life out of him, he seems to be pretty mobile and non life beaten out of in the police video, i mean he got out of the car under his own power, he didn't seem to be limping or in need of support when he walked, he even looked pretty clean (if the paramedics cleaned him up, the police must have taken some pics of his injuries as evidence, they could help themselves immensely by releasing them)...

By all accounts the kid was on top of Zimmerman slamming his head into the ground at the point at which Zimmerman shot him. I assume that most people in the same situation would have pulled the gun and shot the kid.

In other words, at some point, it stopped mattering what had happened up to that point, Zimmerman was just trying to stay alive.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 07:01 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
By all accounts

now there are witnesses? multiple witnesses?
parados

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 07:02 am
@gungasnake,
That must explain the complete lack of blood on Zimmerman. Gravity stopped working for a period of time.
ABE5177

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 07:42 am
@parados,
you deaf dumb 'n blind too?
http://conservativebyte.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/zimmerman51.jpg
Shionyx

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 08:00 am
@boomerang,
I didn't think I was going to rob & murder today.
But then I put on "that damn hoodie"...
gungasnake

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 08:22 am
@ehBeth,
There do appear to be at least two witnesses. I assume they're staying sort of low key to prevent being cooked and eaten by Sharpton and the NBP...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 08:25 am
@Shionyx,
I hear you!

I wear a hoodie almost every day and I never intend to rob or murder or do anything other than keep my head dry and warm.

But my question is really about perception, not intent, and especially about how it might lead to my son, or any other young man, being perceived as being up to no good
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 08:53 am
@ABE5177,
If Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman when he was shot, then Zimmerman should have blood on his clothes. Gravity works that way.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:01 am
@parados,
Quote:
That must explain the complete lack of blood on Zimmerman. Gravity stopped working for a period of time.
He was supposedly cleaned up by the EMS.

I have had a few head injuries over the years, there is often very little blood exiting the head wound. Most head wounds from falls or mild impact (a can falling from a shelf and hitting the forehead) don't yield a lot of blood.

A few years ago is a prime example. I fell, hit the back of my head, there was apparently an open wound. The people who got me up on my feet commented about it. They said it looked bad and I should have it checked on. At the time, our local hospital hadn't closed and I was only a few blocks away.

In the ER, the wound was looked at and cleaned up. There was brief discussion about a couple of stitches but it was indicated that wasn't really necessary since it wasn't pouring out blood. A simple bandage and a reminder not to irritate the area for a few days or to wash the scalp for at least 24 hours.

The total of blood was a few drops on the shirt collar....cold water and quick wash took it right out, and from when I was in the waiting room of the ER and I leaned my head against the wall. Nothing major.

In 1993 I took a fall, hit the back of my head against the outside of a store and there was some blood. Again, nothing of major amounts and nothing seemed to have gotten on my shirt collar.

Head injuries don't usually yield a lot of blood, if there is hair it will absorb some of the blood. George Zimmerman has some hair. Main point, head wounds don't always yield a lot of blood.

Yeah, thinking back to the 4th grade. I slipped on ice, hit the back of my head against a car bumper. There was a small amount of blood...I saw it on my hand when I touched the pained area. My hood absorbed some and I continued home from school. My mother never knew anything had happened. Point here, there wasn't a lot of blood, which may be the case with George Zimmerman.

At any rate, it wasn't that gravity stopped, he just didn't have major blood loss and whatever was there was cleaned up to get rid of dirt which could cause an infection. The EMS tapes (if real) which were leaked out confirm a 'second patient' without a gunshot. If the patient isn't George Zimmerman then who pray tell is it? And why would they refer to him as a patient if he had no injury?
boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:08 am
@Sturgis,
I've always heard the opposite -- that even minor head wounds bleed heavily -- so I looked it up:

Quote:
Minor cuts on the head often bleed heavily because the face and scalp have many blood vessels close to the surface of the skin. Although this amount of bleeding may be alarming, many times the injury is not severe and the bleeding will stop with treatment you can do at home. But it is important to know the difference between wounds you can treat at home and head wounds that need emergency treatment.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:15 am
@parados,
Quote:
If Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman when he was shot, then Zimmerman should have blood on his clothes. Gravity works that way.
And what if he (Trayvon Martin) had punched George Zimmerman, then tackled him, then got up and began to leave and that was when he was shot? He was not on top of George Zimmerman the entire time as is shown by the report that he was lying face down with his hands underneath himself.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/04/police-reports-show-details-of-trayvon-martin-shooting/1?csp=34news#.T3m_7quXRd8

Quote:
The Orlando Sentinel has posted online partial police reports by Sanford, Fla., officers who responding the night George Zimmerman shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

READ: The police reports on the Trayvon shooting

For anyone following the details of the case closely, there are no dramatic findings in the reports, simply a more detailed rundown of what the officers say they observed on arriving at the scene of the Feb. 26 shooting.

Among them:

Trayvon was laying face down on the ground, with his "hands underneath his body."

Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful;

Zimmerman's hand gun was placed into evidence;

Zimmerman was reported to be "bleeding from the nose and back of his head."
Police report (partial)
http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2012-03/69081607-29132322.pdf

Now if Trayvon Martin was lying face down, how did he get that way? Was he already on his feet when he was shot? Did he start to leave then turn back and George Zimmerman being scared that it was about to happen again then fired the shot? Trayvon Martin then turned and then fell dead.

Where did you, Parados, come up with the idea that Trayvon Martin was on top of George Zimmerman when shot? If he was, then how did he then land in a different spot? If he was face down it makes no sense, since if he was on top of George Zimmerman then shot, then George Zimmerman would have pushed him off and he (Trayvon Martin) would have then been on his back, even if he had somehow landed face down from such a push, it's highly unlikely both hands would have landed underneath him. One perhaps, both, not likely.
parados

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:18 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
then got up and began to leave and that was when he was shot?

That would make it hard to claim he feared for his life.
Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:21 am
So, is Martin supposed to have been shot in the back, or was he leaving by walking backwards?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:26 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
I've always heard the opposite -- that even minor head wounds bleed heavily -- so I looked it up:

Quote:
Minor cuts on the head often bleed heavily because the face and scalp have many blood vessels close to the surface of the skin. Although this amount of bleeding may be alarming, many times the injury is not severe and the bleeding will stop with treatment you can do at home. But it is important to know the difference between wounds you can treat at home and head wounds that need emergency treatment.
Well I can only speak from personal experiences, I've had a few and none of them have been gushers. At least 2 have had the suggestion of stitches as they were large enough in appearance.

Come to think of it, I did have a bit of a bleeder from a head wound; but, it was an odd wound. I slipped, headed into the tub and hit my head and dragged it along the fixtures. There was a fair amount of blood; but, I attributed it to the gouge the scalp received going across the faucets. At any rate, I was helped back up (I called a neighbor), and a few hours later I was out and about. I recall it because it was July 3 and I had to get my Warfarin prescrip. refilled and the pharmacy would be closed the following day. On the way back someone came up from behind stopped me, and we talked for a while. He's a tall person and would have seen something horrifying and commented, so the bleed had clearly stopped.

Maybe I'm just an oddity on the bleed matter, and perhaps the same was true of George Zimmerman.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:29 am
@parados,
Quote:
That would make it hard to claim he feared for his life.

As I indicated later in my above post (a part you conveniently fail to acknowledge Rolling Eyes ) "DID HE START TO LEAVE, THEN TURN BACK" and at that point George Zimmerman truly fearing for his well being and safety fired the shot?