Invitation to lovers of The Brew

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:22 am
My two Sons and I hold irregular beer tastings in our sauna starting with a cooler of 30 brews, my Better Half opening the bottle while we avert. Our offspring and I then without comment score it on a scale of 1 to 10 in increments of 0.1. Now we discuss it and finally we guess at its identity yes-no. Once in a while we hit with a single guess but typically 4 to 6 required

We record our scores though the practice being highly subjective all vary over a pretty wide range. Another reason is the deadening effect of one brew upon the next: For instance the lagers get lower scores than I think they should because they’re not as assertive. My sons’ scores are however far more consistent than mine as they have a superior palates

Being an octogen I crap out after 14 tastings (that’s 6 oz each) when we then quit. If the hot tub didn’t dissipate some of the alcohol there’s no way I’d achieve a dozen tastings, especially since many of the brews are of higher concentration

As we’ve been at it some 15 years the listing is pretty extensive. We’d be happy to share it with you if you will inquire to [email protected].

Bottoms up
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,489 • Replies: 7

Sturgis

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 09:15 am
@dalehileman,
at least now we all know why you say you have spells of the dizzies.

dalehileman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 09:46 am
@Sturgis,
Actual Stu the persistent dizziness owes to a medication though though old age and incipient Alz’s might contribute to some extent

http://able2know.org/topic/186240-1

……although our occasional tasting sessions have much the same result. To this end the aspirant to moderate this effect should be advised to eat well immediately before such exercise of the palate
Sturgis

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:02 am
@dalehileman,
Who is Stu?

Combining alcohol and the heat of a sauna is not a wise idea. Each on its own can cause a person to pass out, pass out long enough in a hot enough sauna and its curtains for you.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:18 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Who is Stu?
Forgive, but saves keystrokes

Quote:
Combining alcohol and the heat of a sauna is not a wise idea.
Actually it’s a jacuzzi but given the 10-minute rule I couldn’t edit accordingly

Quote:
Each on its own can cause a person to pass out,
I had supposed to the contrary the heat might help dissipate the alky but in any case my sons and my BH are present to rescue me
Sturgis

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:26 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
and my BH are present to rescue me

A bohemian honey? Why you rascal you!
dalehileman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:59 am
@Sturgis,
Indeed Stu it means “Better Half” but I like yours better
dalehileman

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 11:47 am