Your favorite watering hole

Debacle

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:40 pm
Supposing that every serious minded tippler has his/her favorite/favourite watering hole, I thought I'd provide a place for you to tout yours. As for me, there are so many special places, I won't, or rather can't, say which is my No. 1 choice. But to get things rollin', here are a couple off the top of me nut.

First is a country pub, located near Ambleside in the English Lake District.

http://www.drunkenduckinn.co.uk/

The other, also an English pub, is The Wykeham Arms in Winchester, which several tipplers claim to be the finest pub on earth. You can see something of it on the following website, about three quarts down the long page.

http://lorkers.members.beeb.net/Winpubguide/winpubguts.htm

Please make free to enter your own favorite(s). Or if you simply enjoy sitting on a park bench breathing from a paper bag, give us your thoughts and a feel for the atmosphere. I'd certainly be entering one of my special joints right now if they weren't all so far away.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,709 • Replies: 15
No top replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 06:41 pm
lol Debacle, you knew you'd suck me in on this one sooner or later.
my favorite pub is 100 miles from here, but i go every week, at least once, no matter how hard or much effort it takes to get there www.burren.com
i feel at home there.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:36 pm
Now how would I be knowin' ya'd be the foist patron, mikey me boy? :wink:

A 100 mile jaunt is nuthin' in Montana, nor to a trew son of the Awld Sod with a bit of a tirst on 'im, at least not to such a one in Massatusetts. In Eire itself, however, 100 miles would loikely put ya in the drink for sure, about six fathoms deep, I'm after tinkin'.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:10 pm
Unlike Mikey - I've gone the other way....no travelling for me.

While I know nothing at all about rowing, I can walk to this club - and even more important, I can sort of walk home (or get the bus!)

http://www.sydneyrowingclub.com.au/

It's got a great location, right at the ferry terminal, too.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:48 pm
i won't drink the Guinness on the cape, it goes bad if you don't turn it over fast enough, you know. and everyone drinks bud or whatever around here, dreadful stuff.

it used to be a long ride home tho when you're 3 sheets to the wind, but worth it. i stay the night at a friends or one of the bartenders house, no choice at this point :-(
last bus home leaves at 5:30 pm.

boy i wish i could walk there margo, you are soooo lucky.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:52 pm
hmmm, a favorite drinking spot? Hmmm....
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:36 pm
Any bar in Coronado, but this one is good for star gazing The Hotel del Coronado
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 05:44 pm
My Favorite watering hole is right down the hill where I live in Hull, Ma. When I got divorced 2 years ago I did a tour to see what was available. Most were too noisy or aggressive. When I reached the Beachfront Wendy the Bartender made me feel so comfortable it became my drinking abode.
The place is an unpretentious neighborhoos bar and fits me perfectly.They do karaoke on Saturday night and Sean who runs it convinced me to sing about a year ago and I love it (although others may not). But why worry about them when I'm having fun.
I've never seen a fight there and there's a good mix of people who regularly attend. The only days I'm there are on Friday and Saturday nights. Saturday is a little wild as during the migration in the fall Saturday I also band hawks for U. S. Fish and Wildlife. As I'm also a Bruins season ticket holder I would leave the banding site and go to the Fleet Center to attend the hockey game. When the game ends it's off the the Beachfront for karaoke and beer. Now there's a full dance card. Salud!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:00 pm
For somewhat sentimental reasons (and because they invited me to their annual Christmas party even when I'd moved out of the state), the Tampico Kitchen & Lounge in Santa Cruz, CA. Fabulous bartenders, good music on the box (except the little bit that's in English), great comfortable booths. Pics here (http://www.tampicokitchen.com/photos.htm), though they emphasize the restaurant -- and the place was definitely cleaned up for the photos.

Good mariachi on Sunday nights, too.

Also, Tuman's Alcohol Abuse Center in Chicago. Dog friendly in the early evening, great atmosphere, drunken bartenders, and the best jukebox I've ever seen.
http://www.ccchronicle.com/back/2001-12-10/images/pics/ontap.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:02 pm
Welcome, bobsmythhawk!

I don't really go out drinkin' anymore, but I did in Law School. My fave place was Bernie's Tavern, which doesn't have its own website but is mentioned here: http://courts.state.de.us/aoc/nccch/html/dining.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:41 pm
My favourite isn't a particular pub, but a strip of pubs along the Danny - check it out here

one of my favourites is almost at the end of the street so i can walk there and back (and in the summer the doggies can sit on the patio with me for a quick visit) - MACKIE'S TAIGH OSDA. I can go in for a quick one and not be worried about being annoyed/chatted up, or i can join in the community conversation - a quote from the bartowel forum (the forum is linked underneath) I was at Mackie's several weeks ago and I thought it was a great pub for conversation as it has a small table in the middle that lets you discuss the attributes of the beer your drinking with other beer lovers
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 07:50 pm
My brother-in-law's basement.

A very exclusive club.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:25 pm
address Max?????
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:40 pm
i like the look of Mackies Taigh Osda beth. looks comfy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:18 pm
Mackie's is very comfy, mikey - definitely a nice place to have in the neighbourhood. Now, if they could just keep a cook!
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:26 pm
i can cook...as long as the pay is good. trad irish fare? i make a mean guinness beef stew. and Misti's soda bread recipe would knock em right out. food for thought.....
0 Replies