What’s the word for that

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 12:17 pm
If such a word isn’t missing altogether,

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5256942

….sometimes there’s just no suitable synonym

Recently encountered such a case in a newspaper article describing an accident in which its driver made contact of his crane with a power line. Then when a co-worker jumped at the vehicle in an attempt to rescue the driver he suffered severe electrical burns

The writer described him as “electrified” which is perfectly proper because “electrify” means to apply electricity to. However because it more often means to astonish, the Typical Clod (me) more likely supposes at first glance that he was merely surprised to learn that touching a metallic object in contact with a source of electricity might be dangerous

So “Electrify" needs a more pertinent synonym. “Electrocute" doesn’t work because he wasn’t killed; “Fry” isn’t quite right first because it’s slang and second because it usually also means to kill; “energize,” “turn on,” “switch on," “plug in,” “charge"or “excite” aren't quite right for reason obvious

So in this day and age when the application of voltage or current to an object has become an everyday affair, there just ought to be a better word

Can you think of more such instances
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,892 • Replies: 6
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 12:22 pm
"severely shocked" comes to mind.
Ceili

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 12:26 pm
An electrical shock.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 12:33 pm
What’s the word for that
from the greatest comic book series ever written
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4r4n0LjGK1qzl89so1_500.jpg

Delirium -"What's the name of the word for the precise moment when you realize that you've actually forgotten how it felt to make love to somebody you really liked a long time ago?"
Dream - "There isn't one."
Delirium - "Oh. I thought maybe there was."

Delirium and Dream, in Sandman #43: "Brief Lives: 3"

Delirium - "Is there a word for forgetting the name of someone when you want to introduce them to someone else at the same time you realize you've forgotten the name of the person you're introducing them to as well?"
Dream - "No."

Delirium and Dream, in Sandman #43: "Brief Lives: 3"

Delirium - "Um, what's the name of the word for things not being the same always? You know, I'm sure there is one. Isn't there? There must be a word for it … the thing that lets you know time is happening. Is there a word?"
Dream - "Change."

Delirium and Dream, in Sandman #43: "Brief Lives:3 "

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 12:48 pm
@dalehileman,
I can honestly say it doesn't matter. Reading the article it's clear what is meant, this isn't a vocabulary/spelling test like we had in school where we had to spell 20 words and then give the definition for each of them. In the context in which it was presented, the word worked just fine.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:23 pm
@PUNKEY,
Punk and Ceili hase offered terms that come much closer. Background: “A jury awarded a..man 1.72 million…after he got injured…a crane hit power lines and electrocuted the operator,” Henry, who operates the crane

“…...got electrified after he went underneath….to check….”

One might suppose a crane operator to be better trained but evidently the writer uses “electrified” as a synonym for “electrocuted” probably to avoid the use of this latter word twice. “Shocked” here would certainly register as true but this term would not ordinarily signify the victim’s death

While the first para implies that only one other man, Ward the plaintiff, was involved and was remunerated, we learn later to our surprise that another worker was also shocked in an attempt to rescue Henry, then subsequently remunerated. (We also wonder how anyone else, much less two more workers, could be so foolish) but

Ward …was blown back…”, but Muro the second hero

“..tried to pull him [Henry] out also got electrified….20 percent of his body burned….”. As Ward was only “blown back,” however while Muro was almost killed, we might wonder—here’s where background and detail are left out—why the story leads with and emphasizes only Ward’s plight

This is perhaps only partly explained at the end of the story where Muro had earlier “….reached an undisclosed settlement…." but considering the extent of his wounds we would have expected an earlier disclosure

Background and detail again, how about Henry? After scanning the piece a couple of more times we conclude that since was the driver he must have been covered anyhow and so we don’t care so much about him or his family
dalehileman

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 01:59 pm
@dalehileman,
To the participant who asks why two OP’s bear the same title: There’s a rule that prevents one from so doing if more than 10 minutes have elapsed between the time it was written and the time it was realized

Please please please fellasAnd if you should happen to wonder why I mention the subject “background and detail” in the foregoing post it’s because the 10-minute rule cut me off before I could provide this link:

http://able2know.org/topic/186380-1

And if you sense that a para or two are missing it may be because another rule seldom allows one to scroll in an edit window until he has written 14 lines and hit “enter” three times while holding his left foot with his right hand

Not criticisms, only mean to be helpful, I’m not such a bad guy after all, I only mean to help, give thee a chuckle now and again but how come I’m only one with suggestions: You other fellas are cowards, you don’t want the rest descending upon you
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What’s the word for that
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:51:56