djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:54 pm
@Irishk,
me too, they reminded me a little bit of the Robert Howard (Conan, Kull, etc) sword and sorcery stuff i read as a kid

according to wiki fairly soon, the last novella was published in the Martin & Dozois edited anthology Warriors, and a another Warriors anthology is in the works, which will contain the fourth novella, after that they plan to publish the four in one book, Martin also said (again according to wiki) that he'd like to publish the Dunk & Egg stories covering the lives of the two characters
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 11:45 am
Season 2 premier tonight! (Tomorrow in the UK, I think)...

Quote:
"The North Remembers"

In the second-season premiere, Robb Stark continues his campaign against the Lannisters, and Tyrion tries to rein in the impulsive Joffrey in King's Landing. Meanwhile, Stannis Baratheon sets out to claim his deceased brother's throne.

Some new faces we'll see...
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 01:07 pm
@Irishk,
What's with the British accents?!

This doesn't take place in England.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 01:14 pm
@chai2,
Since they happen to be speaking English, the native language of the country we know as England, it shouldn't be that surprising they are speaking it with the accent used in England. Using an American accent, or an Australian accent would be odd wouldn't it?
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 01:14 pm
@maxdancona,
bull feathers.

The tale takes place in the 7 kingdoms, which not anywhere on this planet.

they're speaking english because that the language the author wrote in.

when the story is going on in places other than where Robb and the rest are, they speak in other tongues, but the words were still written in english so the reader could understand.

if you bought this book in italy, it would be written in italian.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 01:18 pm
@chai2,
Bollocks to you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 01:23 pm
@chai2,
When BBC did a television adaption of I, Claudius, all the Patrician Romans spoke with English public school accents, and all the soldiers and slaves spoke with working class accents. It was mildly hilarious. Maybe the English are slow on the uptake, and they wanted to signal the viewers that there were class distinctions in play.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 01:43 pm
It's set in Westeros, but a look at the maps drawn of Westeros invite
comparison to Britain. There's even a Hadrian's wall to keep out the
barbarians. And the houses of Stark and Lannister echo York and
Lancaster.
Irishk

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 02:32 pm
@George,
Martin has said many times in interviews that Hadrian's Wall was the inspiration for the Wall of the Knight's Watch.

He's also remarked that the last two books of the series will explore in depth exactly what goes on north of the Wall...can't wait...I think lol.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 09:14 pm
@chai2,
Why are fantasy world accents British?
DrewDad

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 09:19 pm
@DrewDad,
Can you imagine a knights-on-horseback show with folks speaking with an Alabama accent? (Think Forrest Gump.)
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:57 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Can you imagine a knights-on-horseback show with folks speaking with an Alabama accent? (Think Forrest Gump.)

Yeah actually, I can.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:56 am
HBO announced last week that they've renewed Game of Thrones for a 3rd season. Season 3 will cover roughly half of the series' third novel, A Storm of Swords, with the second half of the book being told in Season 4 (if the show gets another renewal).

ETA: Martin has said he'll write Episode 7 for Season 3 (he usually writes one episode per season), but no indication which chapter of A Storm of Swords that will cover.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:11 pm
@Irishk,
Looking forward to it. Terrific series.

My worry is that the cost must be astronomical. If the series is cancelled, it will be because of cost...not quality.
Irishk

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I think so, too. Ratings will have to be very, very good if we're to get through the whole series. I'll do my part lol.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I was amused to note that the biggest deviation from the book was that elimination of a huge battle scene.

(In the book, Tyrion fights in the battle, and even defeats a knight in a one-on-one fight. He literally uses his head.

In the series, he's knocked unconscious before the battle, and awakes to find they were victorious.)
Irishk

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:44 pm
@DrewDad,
That was funny.

Tyrion (waking up): "Did we win?"
Ser Bronn: "Well we wouldn't be having this conversation if we hadn't."
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:25 am
During a concert on July 18th, living legend George R.R. Martin crashed the set.
He proceeded to completely trash a guitar while Neil Gaiman forced an apology out of the performers, Paul & Storm.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/george-rr-martin-crashes-comic-con-concert-destroys-guitar

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:31 pm

http://www.buzzfeed.com/catesish/game-of-thrones-theme-sung-by-a-cat
KieraMcLean

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 05:08 am
@mysteryman,
Yup! This is really amazing, I love to watch it!
0 Replies