Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:18 pm
I just started watching a show on HBO that is absolutely amazing.
I had not heard of it and am watching the first season now, the second season starts in April.

Its called "Game of Thrones" and is an extremely good show.
There is some cussing and nudity, so if that offends you dont watch it.
If however, you want to watch a great show, I highly recommend it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 9,007 • Replies: 80
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:27 pm
@mysteryman,
Not only is a great show (terrific production, sets, and acting)...the books upon which it is based are great also. I am now reading the fifth of the five books currently out. One more due.

Spectacular series...I recommend it as highly as mysterman.
mysteryman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I am trying to find the books.
The books are ALWAYS better than a movie or TV, simply because the producers have to cut things out.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:33 pm
@mysteryman,
You'll love 'em...and they actually will flesh out some stuff that I was not able to get first viewing of the series. My wife has now bought the series on DVD...and we are watching them again. Lots of new stuff is seen because we have read the books.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:22 pm
@mysteryman,
Its a waaay better filmizization of the book by the same name. The books really suck, IMHO , but the TV show is really enjoyable . Its just the opposite of DUNE, where the book was far better than the film
maxdancona

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:35 pm
@mysteryman,
It is a very good show. I just got HBO and can't stop watching. I am at episode 5 of season one (so no spoilers please). The barbarian queen is my favorite character so far.

This is the first thread I have seen where everyone is in agreement.

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:40 pm
@maxdancona,
Im only half in agreement. I didnt care for the book because I thought it was derivative and Id seen the same thing many times before.
Irishk

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 08:29 pm
Team Stannis!!!

Or...Lannister!!!

Or...Stark!!!

(Depends on which book I'm reading LOL)

I, also, thought HBO did a good job with the book to film adaptation.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 03:41 am
@Irishk,
Quote:
I, also, thought HBO did a good job with the book to film adaptation.

They have done a spectacular job, but unlike Farmerman, I think the books were spectacular also. And reading the books clears up elements of the story that simply cannot be handled in the TV series--the plot is much too complicated.

I think reading the first book after viewing the first season was one of the best moves I've ever made in book/series appreciation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 04:47 am
George Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice is the series of novels on which the television series is based. He was interviewed on CBC radio's prgram Q yesterday. You can read about the interview, as well as click on a link to hear it by clicking here. The interview is 20 minutes long--i enjoyed it, as Martin explains how is outlook on life developed, and how he came to write fantasy literature.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:43 am
Holy Smokes! I loved these books and really enjoyed the HBO adaptation as well. I had read them a few years ago when there were just 3 and re-read them before the HBO series. It's good that we have these things in common.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:26 am
@mysteryman,
Game of Thrones

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Wiki

BBB
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Not only is a great show (terrific production, sets, and acting)...the books upon which it is based are great also. I am now reading the fifth of the five books currently out. One more due.

Spectacular series...I recommend it as highly as mysterman.

I just finished book five a couple of weeks ago. There will two more books due out:
The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring

The problem is in the issue of WHEN they will be published. I'm hoping we don't have to wait another 4 or 5 years until the next book and 4 or 5 more years waiting until the last book is published.

On the TV show? I haven't started watching it as I don't have HBO. I should blind buy the DVD set but I never am a fan of buying movies or TV series that I never watched before.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:41 am
In the interview yesterday, Martin said he was straining to get the next book done in anticipation of the television series. It sounded as though he felt a little under the gun, in that he normally takes three to five years to write a book, and the television production company moves much faster.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:46 am
@Setanta,
Martin is in town right now to support the exhibit at the TIFF Lightbox.

http://tiff.net/gameofthrones

edit - just saw that Set already linked to the interview. It was very good.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:50 am
@Setanta,
Thanks, Set! Very interesting, indeed. "Sopranos in middle earth"...haha that's about right!

Also very intriguing comments at the end of the podcast when he discusses the chapter in A Storm of Swords and his difficulty in writing it. I'm 99.9999% sure we know what that was about, even though he was careful of spoilers.

On a less positive note, I got the impression from his remarks that we won't be seeing book 6 any time soon. And, that's ok. Although I probably fit his 'ravenous fan' description, I have plenty of great books in my to-be-read list to tide me over.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 11:15 am

I haven't seen the show or read the books my sister says I should. The author was on Strombo last night.
Irishk

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 11:35 am
@Ceili,
Thanks, Ceili! Martin is how I always pictured Roy Dotrice (the narrator of 4 of the 5 audiobooks) as looking. Kind of like a lovable, old Santa lol. (I've no idea what Dotrice looks like in real life, though).
mysteryman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 02:26 pm
I am only on episode 4, so dont tell me anything.
Isnt Sean Bean (Eddard Stark) the same person that played on LOTR?
Didnt he play the character that tried to take the ring from Frodo and brbroke up the fellowship?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 02:36 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Thanks, Ceili! Martin is how I always pictured Roy Dotrice (the narrator of 4 of the 5 audiobooks) as looking. Kind of like a lovable, old Santa lol. (I've no idea what Dotrice looks like in real life, though).

I hope Roy Dotrice is still alive to read the last two books as he's been reading to me the entire series (all five audiobooks I listened to) so far. He'll be 89 years old this May.