Double yolked eggs

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 02:30 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Then the yokes on you.

Perhaps they were in Minnesota?. 'Ya know > The Twins!

I should send this whole quote to the bad joke thread but I'm a tad lazy this afternoon. Razz
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 02:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
<deep bow>
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 02:42 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

omg I've really hit the jackpot!

I'd bought 2 dozen jumbo eggs, and just started the second carton.

I decided to make myself an egg in basket, and picked a large one. Sure enough, 2 yolks. That 10 out of 13.

Looking at the other 11, it looks like there's others that are unusually jumbo.

I swear to God, Honor Bright, I got another double yolk this morning, from the 2nd carton.

That's 11 out of 14 - that's 78.5%, and I know there's more really big ones in that carton.

chai(when will this stop?)tea
Reyn

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 03:20 pm
@chai2,
Time to buy a lottery ticket! Wink
Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 04:03 pm
@chai2,
Where did you buy them - I remember reading how someone had a full carton of double yolked eggs from trader joes...

And read these
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/579949
http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/04/one-dozen-trader-joes-eggs-each-with-a-double-yolk.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 04:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
I remember that Dys had strong opinions on which eggs were freshest and best but I'm by now confused on what he had said. What I sort of remember is that he preferred small AA eggs. Will have to check with Diane.

I use eggs mostly in baking ricotta tortes, less often making an omelet or scrambled eggs, and, lately, once in a while making gelato, and have recently worked my way up to extra large as a smart size for me. I can't remember the reason, but for some recipe - maybe homemade pasta - I was looking up egg sizing online. My store's/egg purveyor's eggs didn't fit the charts I looked up, and since then I've noticed they vary a lot, re the charts. Now my considered opinion based on hunch is that they have x number of containers to fill... and they use the eggs they have on hand.
Eva

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 04:40 pm
@ossobuco,
I was always taught that recipes are generally based on Large-sized eggs.

Is that right?
chai2

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:12 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Time to buy a lottery ticket! Wink

Seriously Reyn, I should.

Linkat, I bought them at HEB, a popular grocery store in Texas.

Eva, they do ask for large eggs, but I always buy jumbo. I don't think it's ever made much difference, as I'm not a Julia Child type cooker.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:24 pm
In Ca my parents knew a Portuguese family that lived in San Jose. They were the Olivera’s and owned Olivera Egg ranch. I believed they owned about two million chickens throughout Ca in different ranches. Had a nice little business going on.

Last I heard Mr. & Mrs. Olivera passed away and their son Eddie was running the business.

I remember when I was a kid and we visited the ranch, they showed me around the plant and I got to see how the eggs went throught they conver belt to packing. I always wondered how they came up with the different sized, medium, large, Ex-large and Jumbo when they looked so similuar.

Mr. Olivera told me it wasn’t the size, it was the weight of the egg. That place sure smelled but I was facinated how it all worked. I remember asking what happens when the chickens stop laying eggs, I was told they were sold to a kill farm, some to dog food companies, McDonalds’s bought some for their chicken Mcnuggets.
chai2

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:31 pm
@jcboy,
Do they treat their chickens decently morgan?
jcboy

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:35 pm
@chai2,
No! from what I heard they had many problems. In northern CA it gets cold and the chickens had to be kept at a certain temperature at all times, it also gets very hot!.

I remember my father talking on the phone to Mr. Olivera once and they lost close to a hundred thousand chickens in one day because the generator went out and it got too hot, they died from the heat.
chai2

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:40 pm
@jcboy,
I watched a video on the conditions most commercial egg companies keep their chickens in, and vowed I'd only eat cage free after that.

I know there's a lot of latitude in that definition, but it's better than how most are kept.

The shells are much tougher, so I have to think that translates to better diet, better health.
jcboy

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:46 pm
@chai2,
I felt that way too! They also had cage free, and I always thought that was better. I remember asking about that when I was a kid, the chickens roam free, not kept in cages, but they also eat what ever is on the ground, bugs, their own feces, etc, that kind of turned me off a little bit. Shocked Cool
jcboy

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:47 pm
@jcboy,
Visiting that egg ranch is also where I learned where brown eggs came from. Brown chickens, white eggs, white chickens
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:50 pm
@Eva,
I dunno. The last time I was taught was in girl scouts.
Good question, Eva.

But what I have found in my recent egg buying at my very ordinary market is that large varies.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:53 pm
hehe I just found Eddie Olivera online, this is the son, his father and mother started the business.

http://blog.shfb.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Ed-Olivera-21.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:53 pm
@jcboy,
Thanks for that post, jcboy.
chai2

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:55 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

but they also eat what ever is on the ground, bugs, their own feces, etc, that kind of turned me off a little bit. Shocked Cool

But bugs are the best food for chickens! It's what they eat if they're running wild.
You don't think battery (cage) hens eat their own, and others feces? When kept in a cage the live one's eat the dead ones they haven't gotten around to picking up yet. Chickens are just dirty animals, no getting around it.

http://simpledailyrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/cage-free-eggs.jpg
jcboy

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I remember his mother very well, I was just a kid and I couldn’t pronounce Mrs. Olivera so I just called her Mrs. O. everyone called her that afterwards. She was a very nice lady.
chai2

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:57 pm
@chai2,
To further gross you out, don't you think the cows that give you milk, and the ones that give you meat, eat all sorts of feces, bugs and worse?