Muarck

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:00 pm
Here's a question?
In the movies every time someone's hearing voices these voices eventually tell them to kill someone, burn a house down, or something equally psychotic.
Historically, when someone's hearing voices, the voices eventually tell them to start a crusade, write the Quran...
But how often do voices just guide people through the mundane? Go out for a Chinese buffet? Watch the new Kate Hudson movie?
I mean this as a very serious question. When someone is hearing voice does it always lead to the grand or psychotic?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 4,722 • Replies: 30
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:04 pm
I would say it's brought on by conflict and/or stress. Watching a Kate Hudson movie is not a stressful stream of thought.

Have you ever heard voices?
boomerang

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:09 pm
@Muarck,
Maybe some OCD people hear voices that keep telling them to wash their hands or to hoard stuff.
0 Replies

Muarck

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:16 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
I would say it's brought on by conflict and/or stress.

It's essentially this mindset I'm commenting on:
Why do we automatically assume it's "evil" or at least born of bad circumstances?
It's different.
When whites first encountered: blacks, native Americans, Indians, Orientals... These people were all different and mostly assumed to be bad.
The same thing can be said for irrational numbers, heavier than air flight, even soap, all of these things were considered bad because they were different.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:19 pm
who said that?
Muarck

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:24 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
who said that?

I'm not sure what the that is?
"Voices being evil or bad?"
Watch a movie or tell someone your hearing voice see what the reaction is.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:26 pm
@Muarck,
I could tell most folks that and they wouldn't bat an eye.

kinda depends on who's hearing them, I think...
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:30 pm
@Muarck,
Muarck wrote:
When someone is hearing voice does it always lead to the grand or psychotic?

Hearing voices is always psychotic.
Muarck

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:37 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead:
Quote:
I could tell most folks that and they wouldn't bat an eye.

InfraBlue:
Quote:

Rochhead, I wish your thinking were more prevalent, a little open mindedness; but unfortunately, I really don't think it is common. As noted here, InfraBlue indicates all hearing voices is psychotic even the ones that might tell you to go see a Kate Hudson movie.
Muarck

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:39 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

And why? Cause it's different? This is the 21st century? I don't think different ought to a reason to label something as "bad".
0 Replies

confusedguy123

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 05:10 pm
@Muarck,
Hang on...i can't get the voice in my head to shut up long enough to ask him....
But seriously, if you are really hearing voices I think that in itself would be considered a psychotic episode regardless of what they are saying.
Well that is what my imaginary friend says....
Muarck

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 05:19 pm
@confusedguy123,
Quote:
But seriously, if you are really hearing voices I think that in itself would be considered a psychotic episode regardless of what they are saying.

Sounds like a witch burning mindset to me.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 05:45 pm
Muarck wrote:
And why? Cause it's different? This is the 21st century? I don't think different ought to a reason to label something as "bad".

What does the present century have anything to do with the fact that hearing voices is psychotic?

Who said anything about being bad?

Quote:
Sounds like a witch burning mindset to me.

What does the fact that hearing voices is psychotic have to do with witch burning?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:00 pm
@Muarck,
Is there a difference in hearing your own thoughts and hearing another's voice in your head?

Is hearing your own thoughts actually hearing a voice?

When people say "it was so loud, I couldn't hear myself think!" are they really saying that they couldn't hear their own voice?
roger

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
I think there is a real difference. I understand that a true schezophreniac literally hears voices of others.
Muarck

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Is there a difference in hearing your own thoughts and hearing another's voice in your head?
Is hearing your own thoughts actually hearing a voice?
When people say "it was so loud, I couldn't hear myself think!" are they really saying that they couldn't hear their own voice?

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't come up with a way to say it so elegantly.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:07 pm
@roger,
The voices in my head have their own imaginary friend. When the voices in my head sing, they sing in tune, thankfully. Also, because my head is hollow they have a really neat echo effect.When they all get together, I really need more chairs and perhaps a bridge table. I need to make a mental note.

All is well in my little world!
0 Replies

Muarck

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:08 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I think there is a real difference. I understand that a true schezophreniac literally hears voices of others.

How do you know what "literally hears is"?
If he actually hears, therefore a sound wave is coming into his ear; then he's not "hearing voices". That's real sound coming from somewhere.
If he doesn't actually hear then it's an imagined sound and how can that be called "literally hearing" because it's just imagination.
And the honestly truth is from time to time all of us imagine our own thoughts as if spoken in our own voice.
roger

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:32 pm
@Muarck,
You hear with your brain, not your ears.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:36 pm
@roger,
http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/hearing.htm

Quote:
Your ears are extraordinary organs. They pick up all the sounds around you and then translate this information into a form your brain can understand. One of the most remarkable things about this process is that it is completely mechanical. Your sense of smell, taste and vision all involve chemical reactions, but your hearing system is based solely on physical movement.

In this article, we'll look at the mechanical systems that make hearing possible. We'll trace the path of a sound, from its original source all the way to your brain, to see how all the parts of the ear work together. When you understand everything they do, it's clear that your ears are one of the most incredible parts of your body!

To understand how your ears hear sound, you first need to understand just what sound is.