Causes of Mental Illness

gollum

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 12:23 pm
A person in response to unhappiness with his life can daydream about an "alternate life" where he is successful. If he does this a lot, does he run the danger of falling into a "mental illness state" where he operates more in the alternate life than the real one? Beyond a certain point, could it become impossible to return to his "real life"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,212 • Replies: 4
No top replies

flesh out

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 01:24 am
@gollum,

Many people use fantasy as a way of coping and it isn't necessarily unhealthy. It is a defense mechanism. It becomes a problem, as any thought might, when it is an obstacle to "normal" life. This judgment of "normal" is usually determined by the individual. However, it may be determined by those around him as well.
I see that one of your tags is "schizophrenia." There are many different theories as to how schizophrenia begins. Neurotransmitter peculiarities seem to be the most likely. Fantasizing is not considered a cause in regards to schizophrenia or psychosis. Actually, delusions are not a way (nor do they begin as a way) of coping with reality. They are, for the people experiencing them, more troublesome and stressful than reality itself. In this way, they are the opposites of fantasy and coping.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 08:14 am
Nice answer, Flesh .

I think that anyone who goes into his/her "other reality" to that degree would need the time and space to do that. Work, family and this world would be left behind - a total detachment. To protect this person and meet corporal needs, it would take institutional protection.

The rest of us fantasize or day dream, but we still function in this world, hurtful as it might be.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 06:22 pm
@flesh out,
flesh out-
Thank you.

As to my tags, I don't know how they are created. Not by me.
0 Replies

jackalan996

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 10:23 pm
@gollum,
Depression and stress are the most and common seasons for mental problems. In this situation person feel him self alone. and stay lazy all the day. He dose not take interest in any tasks.
This situation can be come over by increase the motivation of that person and he have to keep busy him self in a whole day.
0 Replies