Obviously Revenues Were Threatened

thack45

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 08:15 pm
@djjd62,
I'm waiting for conservatives to start calling slander on the likes of Colbert, Stewart, Leno and Conan.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 08:38 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

I'm waiting for conservatives to start calling slander on the likes of Colbert, Stewart, Leno and Conan.

I knew that argument would surface and here's why it's full of ****. The conservatives that are hit on by the people you mention, also Carlin (R.I.P.) and Maher, get hit on for talking a lot of ADVERSARIAL bullshit and opening the door. This girl made a respectful speech with no mud slinging or name calling and Pigshit Limbaugh opened up on her . Naturally all the rest of the pigs SHOULD be expected to defend him.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Works for me!
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:21 pm
@rosborne979,
Yes, but i sure dont understand why. Of course the same people who listen too him probably worship at the churches that preach loud fire and brimstone religion.
thack45

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:40 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
to be clear, I wasn't making that argument. It'd be ridiculous to take seriously what a talk show host says.

but you're going now with "he started it"?
thack45

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 11:01 pm
i wonder now if rush could sue for libel if he can prove that he isn't literally a device used to administer a douche...
rosborne979

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:19 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Yes, but i sure dont understand why. Of course the same people who listen too him probably worship at the churches that preach loud fire and brimstone religion.

I think it's because he's selling an emotion, he's selling anger. And a lot of people like to wallow in that emotion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:01 am
The only thing about all this I don't understand, is why it took so many years for Limbaugh to land in trouble.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:11 am
@thack45,
in my opinion there's no such thing as slander or libel, you should be able to say anything you want about anyone, if people are too stupid to sort out the truths from the lies, that's their problem

does rush saying she's a slut make her one?
no
does rush apologizing change the minds of his rabid followers?
i'm, going to say no

so what's the point, we should just move on, he said it, in the end no harm, no foul (if we're being honest)
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:20 am
This is a dumb argument. Slander is a legal term applicable in court. There is no court involved here and no questions of legality.

The fact is that Limbaugh is a lying fat piece of ****. This woman is an American citizen expressing her point of view in a sympathetic way.

Now listen carefully-- both of these statements are expressions of opinion, as is Limbaugh's assertion that this woman is a "slut". I haven't heard here or elsewhere that Limbaugh should be taken to court for what he said.

But what happened is that the public, and more importantly advertisers, objected to Limbaugh's comment. They found it offensive. There is nothing that has to do with the slander, the law or the courts. It is a business decision based on public opinion.

Most people find Limbaugh offensive, but he has enough people dumb enough to buy what he is selling. But when the line of public opinion is crossed, a person who lives on advertising money is going to have problems.

I wish everyone would stop debating this as a legal issue.
djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:26 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The fact is that Limbaugh is a lying fat piece of ****.

exactly, that's where the argument should end, let the advertisers do what they want

i still stand by my belief that neither slander or libel should be illegal
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:31 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Slander is a legal term applicable in court. There is no court involved here and no questions of legality.

slander doesnt need to be in a court, where do you get that?. Slander is, according to Webster
"A malicious, false, and defamatory STATEMENT made about another" Legally it is a defamatory statement made by speech and not in writing (As opposed to libel). The girl is, I understand, considering such a suit against Limbo. SO its not "Dumb". Please learn most of the nuance of the language before insulting others.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:37 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman,

What you are doing is opening up the argument about what constitutes a "slut" (since the definition of "slander" involves a STATEMENT that is false).

Fine I concede the point that the word slander can be used outside the courtroom. Calling clear expressions of opinion "slanderous" is still dumb in or outside of a legal proceeding.

farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:49 am
@maxdancona,
So If someone would call your wifeor sister a "prostitute and a slut" on national radio would you just let it pass without any relief? . TRUTH is the defense for slander and libel. If the girl is NOT a prostitute, she was deliberately slandered on national radio and while you may think this is ok for someone like Limbo to get away with, I do not. T

slander, in the media often can precipitate legal actions (and has in the past for occasions less serious than this).

"Opinion" that is deliberatley hurtful is not protected under the first amendment. Public figures have a different scale of accountability than do regular citizens. Limbo and others like him must heed rules of propriety and not go off like this .
Lets wait and see whether the girl sues Limbo (or whether Limbo weathers the entire incident without some kind of slap or worse).

So, in your mind, when does inappropriate speech transcend poor tatse and become slanderous? Or dont you care?

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:58 am
@farmerman,
first off, i'd consider the source, in the end it would be their decision, but in this case (and if it was me all cases) i'd certainly petition to let it go, its Lush Rimjob for god's sake, it's hardly serious journalism

this girl is probably gonna do alright out of the attention as it is, i'm sure there will be sympathetic causes and institutions that will offer jobs
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 07:34 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
"Opinion" that is deliberatley hurtful is not protected under the first amendment.

Of course it is.

Fido

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 08:28 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I think you are right... Wouldn't you love to have him stand up and admit: I said it, and I meant it, and if you don't like it then, fck you and go to hell!!!

The world should have used that chum for bait long ago... He thinks the right can't live without him, and he may be correct... Such fools are their prophets... It is just such madness that preceeds most self destruction...Does anyone, right or left, not think this fat slob doesn't use the internet for his significant sexual relationships???...If he wants to label every woman on the pill as a slut, he may have to eat more than his words, but it looks like eating is a practiced art with him...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 08:36 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Limbaugh referring to this woman as a slut is unpardonable, but referring to him as a fat useless son of a bitch or a fat snake oil salesman is A-OK
Believe it or not, calling him a fat son of a bitch, snake oil salesman is not slander, whereas calling someone a prostitute is.
I beleive that is the ultimate purpose of the right of press and free expression, and it is not to further dialogue, but to invest money with the right to demean the powerless to make their use and abuse more possible and their defense inexcusable... We are way too polite in this land... Everyone who steps over a line like that man did, to milign and abuse some one acting in defense of her own civil rights is a criminal and should be punished...Such as he are not americans, and not free, but they are the slaves of that class which will never own up to them, or walk them in public...He is a slut, and he is a prostitute selling not only his virtue and honor, but devaluing and demeaning our own... Counterfeiting is treason, and that is what he is, one counterfeiting false rights and passing them off as true rights... He does not have right one to say a fraction of what he has said... He is the enemy of liberty...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 08:41 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

to be clear, I wasn't making that argument. It'd be ridiculous to take seriously what a talk show host says.

but you're going now with "he started it"?

Aside from the fact that in this instance he DID start it, you putting my statement deliberately in a context to make it sound childish is also full of ****. I stated plainly that the people who are lampooned by those you mention are **** talkers themselves and when you choose to be one you open the door to be fired back on in kind. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the ******* kitchen in other words.. This girl on the other hand, merely stated opinion and belief in a quiet and respectful fashion, following the decorum of the location in which she spoke.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 08:44 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

i wonder now if rush could sue for libel if he can prove that he isn't literally a device used to administer a douche...

There have been rumors through the years that Mr. Limbaugh has administered a couple of felch douches in the past to covert gay lovers. I'm not saying it's true, I'm just saying the possibility exists. I'd love to say him go through a long and lengthy public trial to prove it isn't, though. Mr. Green