Obviously Revenues Were Threatened

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 01:52 pm
DSK is another one who according to some is to be silenced because he does not pass their moral purity test.

Quote:
Following a petition by Cambridge university Women's Campaign, a group of protesters will later this afternoon meet outside Greater St Mary's Church in Cambridge. They are marching to the Union Society to demonstrate against a speaker's event invitation to Dominique Strauss-Kahn, and I will definitely be joining them.

I think that an institution like the union has a responsibility to reject a speaker with a record of serial misogyny, in the same way that I feel that they would have a responsibility to reject a speaker with a record of serial racism. For me, DSK's behaviour certainly fulfils the former category: take, for example, the case of journalist Tristane Banon, of which the prosecutor said in a statement contained "facts that could be qualified as sexual assault". In addition to this, his international renown as a womaniser speaks volumes. But perhaps most distressing is his approach to the allegations made by Nafissatou Diallo. The issue isn't whether or not Strauss-Kahn raped Diallo, our focus rests with his argument that previous lies told by the maid invalidate any future claim of suffering sexual violence.

For me and many others, attendance of the protest is part of a wider rejection of the cultures of misogyny and rape apologism. The protest is particularly directed against the treatment of Diallo's attempt to make rape allegations, as this mirrors a persistent, international trend: the trivialisation of sexual crimes and accusations. This is a theme all too prevalent in England, where the rape conviction rate is 6%. Part of the event later on will be an inclusive platform to discuss these issues.

The Union Society argues that their invitation extends to an economist, and that his personal life is irrelevant. They reject the Women's Campaign belief that DSK's reputation is as much based on his notorious misogyny as his economic involvement. While the personal life of Strauss-Kahn should not be subject to our judgement, by treating numerous women appallingly, DSK has forced the situation.

The campaign has been condemned by some for allegedly repressing freedom of speech. Indeed, the Union Society defends his invitation on these very grounds. I've always been a staunch defender of freedom of speech, but I do understand that there is a difference between systematic oppression and the provision of a platform. For the public, the union is often assumed to represent Cambridge, not least because of confusion with the Student's Union – a separate body. Thus the invitations offered by the union make a significant statement. Access to such a platform should be managed responsibly. Freedom of speech does not equate to a right to a powerful platform.

I've found the Women's Campaign quite an empowering platform myself. It has engaged with the theme of International Women's Day 2012 – connecting women, inspiring futures. The demonstration is set to provide an inclusive space to talk about issues from rape apologism to cultures of misogyny. Far from oppressing freedom of speech, I feel like the overwhelming support for the campaign has given voice to those many who live without a direct line to the media. What started as a small-scale campaign has snowballed, bringing issues of sexism and sexual crime in to the national sphere. In addition, some protesters are also using the opportunity to express dissatisfaction with the IMF. While some individuals have felt the need for direct action, separate to the official protest, I particularly respect the campaign's ability to create a strong response without having impinged on the Union Society's rights.

Despite the retention of the invitation, I feel like the campaign has won a wider victory. Before the protest has even started, we've brought issues that are so often overlooked to a broad audience

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/09/dominique-strauss-kahn-cambridge-visit?newsfeed=true
DrewDad

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 02:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
Refusing to listen is not the same as preventing someone from speaking.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 02:25 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Refusing to listen is not the same as preventing someone from speaking.

Which is why we should take note that the stated goal was to prevent DSK from speaking, as they hurled insults towards those who had invited him to speak.

I have no problem when others ignore or lobby for mass ignore....I have a very big problem with those who try to impose their moral beliefs on me by way of trying to sanitize my choices on whom I can listen to. EVERYBODY who wants to speak should be free to speak, and should be made to feel free to speak. Your power is in deciding where to place your ears and eyes, you have NO right to try to keep anyone from speaking or writing, nor to try to keep those words away from other people.

STAY IN YOUR ******* LANE!
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 02:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Before Strauss-Kahn’s appearance, Diallo’s lawyer, Douglas Wigdor, told about 100 students at the university’s law faculty, “It’s an affront to all victims of any sexual crime that he’s here, being given this forum to speak".

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/dsk_go_away_DojxqZGUOUPuJAdp30dRnI#ixzz1oqJqqi1D

That is quite a statement considering that DSK has never once been found to be a sex criminal. It is an affront to ME that others are trying to prevent DSK from speaking on nothing more than the grounds that they dont like him.

Quote:
It’s got nothing to do with freedom of speech,” said Francesca Williams, 21. “They’re inviting a man who hates women. I don’t think DSK should be given the privilege of speaking in front of a private audience.”

If you dont want him to speak into your ears then you know what to do, but dont tell me or anyone else what we should or should not listen to, you have no right to this power over me.
BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 04:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye AGREE ONE HUNDRED PERCENTS this time with you.
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 04:20 pm
@BillRM,
did anyone ever tell you Bill RM that you read exactly like the two crocodiles in the cartoon strip "Pearls before Swine"?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 04:21 pm
@farmerman,
Laughing

I think he's Larry...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 04:23 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

did anyone ever tell you Bill RM that you read exactly like the two crocodiles in the cartoon strip "Pearls before Swine"?

Nope. I have never seen it...given your general unexplained pissyness toward me this last year or so am I to assume that this is not a compliment?
JTT

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 05:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Nope. I have never seen it...given your general unexplained pissyness toward me this last year or so am I to assume that this is not a compliment?

Farmer doesn't like how you make a pretense of being honest but then you take every silly tangent possible to avoid addressing the war crimes, the terrorism that is the USA, Hawk.

That sort of attitude really pisses Farmer off because he is an "academic", a guy who, blowing his own horn, likes to tell everyone that he isn't afraid to address the facts.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 05:30 pm
@JTT,
Neither one of you noticed that his post was a reply to BillRM and that he even directed it to BillRM textually within the post.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 05:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
You don't seem to understand: Attempting to silence the protesters is exactly the thing that you claim to be upset about.

If someone gives this person a platform, there's nothing wrong with people with an opposing view point expressing themselves nearby.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 06:08 pm
@DrewDad,
What was it the Tea Party people were doing during the last election? Oh yes, I'm mistaken, they dident try to stop people from speaking, they went to meetings and made so much noise that no one could hear any thing but the loud mouth tea party people. Democracy in action alla Rush Limbaugh.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 06:25 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
If someone gives this person a platform, there's nothing wrong with people with an opposing view point expressing themselves nearby.

Agreed......So long as they refrain from attempting to keep the speaker off the stage by force, and refrain from attempting to shout down the speaker. Arrest of three demonstrators was made this day however, so I doubt that they were in whole well behaved.
Fido

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 06:43 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Agreed......So long as they refrain from attempting to keep the speaker off the stage by force, and refrain from attempting to shout down the speaker. Arrest of three demonstrators was made this day however, so I doubt that they were in whole well behaved.
Nonsense... If the government gives over any part of the commonwealth, and the public airwaves are a part of that, then they have every right to demand that such property is used in the public interest, and for the public good... Those people who put that gdamned pig on that throne to abuse citizens of their rights have forefeited the use of our property...I am willing to be liberal... I think freedom of speech is essential to democracy... But such demagoguery as we see with rush is the power of money to speak at the expense of all the tax payers who have been robbed of their property, and the free use of it at the same time -for a huge sum to them, that is only a pittance for the rich... If the rich want to abuse the poor; do not let them pay with money, but with their lives...
Fido

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 06:45 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

You don't seem to understand: Attempting to silence the protesters is exactly the thing that you claim to be upset about.

To give some buttwadd like rush a platform is to deny it to all the people... There is nothing of free speech there... Money spent to buy rush a voice loud enough to reach many thousands has also bought the silence of a far greater number...
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 11:33 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
If the rich want to abuse the poor; do not let them pay with money, but with their lives...

Is this what you want?

http://clccharter.org/chloe1/Images/guillotine.gif
Fido

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 04:32 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Fido wrote:
If the rich want to abuse the poor; do not let them pay with money, but with their lives...

Is this what you want?

http://clccharter.org/chloe1/Images/guillotine.gif
I know it may seem rather pointless... It often seems pointless to pull weeds in a garden as well... The advantage is that weeds cannot see you coming or feel the fear or good sense fear can inspire... All you have to do is try and execute a few of them, and the rest will not be so bold in attacking citizens of this country... No one should forget that the constitution does not wholly represent the rights we have, any more than it gives proper respect for the lives shed in defense of freedom... The privilages of Church and speech and press are not rights to be turned against our common humanity because it will in the end destroy what so many have worked and fought for... It is better for a few traitors to die than for the whole nation to suffer illness and death... The sad fact, as our Civil War shows, is the the traitors are also the most inclined and so best prepared for violence... I do not think it will be easy; but those who believe in freedom and justice must prepare themselves, and know they will suffer for the right, and then go about the nasty business with a purpose...
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 10:16 pm
@Fido,
(I've succumbed to temptation. Sad )

http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/photo/1918/053.jpg
"All you have to do is try and execute a few of them, and the rest will not
be so bold in attacking citizens of this country..."

http://dynamichistory.com/graphics/stalin.jpg
"It is better for a few traitors to die than for the whole nation to
suffer illness and death..."

(It is my heartfelt hope that I didn't hurt Fido's feelings. I just wanted to be silly. Bye. Mr. Green )
Fido

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 05:37 am
@wmwcjr,
Try to remember that what once was our common right: To defend our honor with violence to the extent necessary has been replaced by law with the expectation that society will take up the cause of the injured party...

Just as once, the kings peace or even his finger was rated at worth more than the peace of a subject or one of his fingers, now, the peace and honor of the poor citizen is counted as nothing so that demagogues can trample all over people in the process of gaining rights not properly theirs to enjoy... I do not even accept it as right and natural that I can abuse a president falsely, or rob him of his title: Mister, or President, when to do so is an insult to all who elected him, and an injury to him as a fellow citizen... Just as we presume inoccence in a court of law, we should presume honor of our fellow citizens, and unless they reveal themselves to be poisonous toadies, they should be shown respect... The respect all people were once entitled to they are still entitled to because all people gave up arms and violence by agreement to mutual respect... This is not the cause of the injured... This is a cuase for the whole of society if we will be a society...
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 03:53 pm
While I 100% agree that Rush was wrong to call that woman a slut (if he actually did), I have to ask this question...

Where was the left wing outrage when this happened?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/onmedia/0511/MSNBC_suspends_Schultz_for_calling_Ingraham_a_slut.html

I dont remember a single left leaning person on this forum condemning Schultz for this or calling for his head.
Why is that?
Is it simply a matter of who does the name calling?

If you can show me where anyone on the left on here condemned Schultz, I will admit I was wrong.