Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 01:21 pm
I just got this email from my cousin. It may be just one more internet folly or may be serious, re Costco's lamb and rice canned dog food.
My instincts tell me that if this were going on, we'd have heard about it by now.

I looked at Snopes, didn't find anything; googled Costco Kirkland canned dog food, nothing so far. My cousin doesn't know Mary Bradley..

Anyone know how to prove or disprove this?

quoting the email -

Costco canned dog food

Please pass this info to all your doggie lover friends. I hope it is not as bad as it looks to be.
Thanks.

Mary Bradley asked to forward the following information to as many people as possible:

At the end of December, a local kennel donated 12 cases of Kirkland canned
Lamb and Rice dog food. They said it was too rich for their dog because they
all got sick. Did not think any problem with the food. I fed to my dogs, and
to visiting dogs. Diarrhea for all dogs, puppy threw up 15 times. She
survived...Tesla and Dino did not. I contacted the company on Jan.3 to say
all dogs got sick. They said they did not produce that food. Four weeks
later, one dead dog, next week, another dead dog. Finally got a response
with...tell Costco. I contacted Costco, and then they contacted the
manufacturer. Who wants a sample of the food. Mind you...this similar food
was recalled in 2007-2009 for melamine contamination. Over 400 dogs died. I
filed a report and waiting for request for the sample of food.

I need to put out a warning of possible food contamination....is not
verified yet...but the vet and I feel it will be. The*Kirkland Canned Lamb
and Rice with expiration 2013. The cans I have say June 23, 2013*. Please
let your friends know. It would have been purchased in Nov.-Dec. 2012.
Please anyone that has a can to contact me directly. Do not return to
Costco. We need to let everyone know so more dogs don't die.

/end of email
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 6,682 • Replies: 33

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 02:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you, osso!

We only buy dry food from IAMS, I just can't stand canned dog food.
The smell alone makes me gag.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 03:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
Hah, you met my cousin! She's not a fearmonger type as you may have picked up, very practical. I talked with her about my posting this and she had also looked at Snopes.com, found nothing except about the 2009 melamine episode. She said and she's right, that Costco has a good return policy, better safe than sorry. I'm not inclined to just spread rumors, posting in case it is true.

The Pacc got dry kibble, what ever was the best I could afford at the time.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 04:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Does whoever tagged this hoaxes know it's a hoax? I agree it could be.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 04:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
You should smell canned cat food. That stuff would gag a maggot. My guys get IAMS dry cat food. I'm pretty sure they could get ground beef for about the same price.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
This is FDA info on the prior years recall of Kirkland dog food. No new recalls have yet been added as of 1/12/2012.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/newpetfoodrecalls/brand_list.cfm?Trade_Name=KIRKLAND&pet=Dog

Quote:
List of recalls for Pet Food Products from KIRKLAND

Information current as of noon January 12, 2012

Recalls & Withdrawals for Animal & Veterinary Products
Melamine Pet Food Recall of 2007: Main Page

The recalls on this list are primarily Class I. Definitions of Class I, II, and III recalls. Additional information about how recalls are conducted can be found at FDA 101: Product Recalls - From First Alert to Effectiveness Checks.

Note: This compiled list represents all pet food recalled since March 2007. If and when new information is received, this list will be updated. The "Information Current as of" date provided above indicates when this Web page was updated; it does not indicate the date when the pet food recalls listed below were initiated. Once listed, each of the recalled pet food products remains listed, even if there are no new recalls associated with that product. Although we have taken care to make sure the information is accurate, if we learn that any information is not accurate we will revise the list as soon as possible. For initiation dates of specific recalls, click on the brand name and then product description links that appear on these pages. For recalls that occurred before September 1, 2008, a date range might appear in the initiation date field. The date range indicates the time frame within which multiple recalls of this product were initiated. For recalls that occur September 1, 2008 and after, the actual initiation date of each recall event is provided for each product. If a new recall is initiated for a product that had previously been recalled before September 1, 2008, the food product will be listed again, with the new recall initiation date. If a new recall is initiated for a product that had previously been recalled after September, 1, 2008, the initiation date of the new recall event will be added to the previous date listed.

Recall Number Trade Name Product Description
V-091-2007 KIRKLAND Kirkland Signature Premium Dog 2-Flavor Variety Pack, 14 oz (24-pack).

Pet: Dog
Trade Name: KIRKLAND
Fiscal Year: 2007
Lot: Best by dates: Aug 21 08 thru Apr 15 09.
Product Distributed Quantity: 6,540,240 cans
Product Description: Kirkland Signature Premium Dog 2-Flavor Variety Pack, 14 oz (24-pack).
Best Before Date:
Recall Initiation Date: April 26, 2007
Recall Completed Date:
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 05:38 pm
More info:

http://efoodalert.net/

Quote:
Pet Treat Recall Debunked: On February 27, 2012, The Daily Puppy carried a recall notice for Jerky Treats Beef Flavor Dog Snacks, sold at Costco in the USA and Canada, purported to have been updated by FDA on 1/12/2012. According to Laura Alvey, a spokeswoman for FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, FDA has no information on this recall. The treats are manufactured by Del Monte Pet Products, which responded to eFoodAlert’s inquiry with the following statement: “There is no recall for any Del Monte products.“

Here's a list of current product recalls on the Costco website:

http://shop.costco.com/Customer-Service/Recalls

From what I'm reading on several forums, the dog treat hoax that was debunked originated as one of the many Facebook rumors that prevail on that site.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 05:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ah, good sleuthing, Butrfly. I'd been going to look at FDA but wasn't remembering they monitored dog food. Should have looked anyway.

Although, I'll say, the email above wasn't about dog treats, but canned food with a certain date stamp.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 06:13 pm
Here's a Facebook page with the exact same email that was posted on 3/2/12:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/2-Dog-Trail-Positive-Dog-Training/168337343181590

You'll note that both of these say to contact this Mary Bradley but neither give any contact info for either her or the vet.

This has the distinctive aroma of a newly hatched hoax that hasn't had time to be reviewed on Snopes yet.

If I wanted to alert people to a suspected dog food that was killing dogs, I'd go to the local media not start a rumor/email campaign.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 06:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
I did a search on "food contamination Kirkland Canned Lamb
and Rice with expiration 2013" and came up with a bunch more sites all copy and pasting the same thing from that email.
jcboy

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 06:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks for the tip!

I never give my dogs canned food. Now when I had both cats every now and then I would give them fancy feast. I only have one cat now and since she is on her last few months I have been giving her wet food once a day, she loves it and since she isn’t long for this world I figure I should make her as happy as I can.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 06:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good work, MacGregor! (MacGregor being a made up name).

I don't understand hoaxing, why would anyone do that? Well, I guess that's another whole subject.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 06:27 pm
@jcboy,
jc - it does look like a hoax. Gahhhh.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 06:41 pm
@roger,
stinky's canned chicken and salmon shreds don't smell bad.

the pate can be brutal, but this actually even looks less than gross...
0 Replies

tayte

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I went online to find out if there has been a recall today. the Lamb can food makes my dog totally sick with diarrhea. my mother has the same problem at her house
tayte

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:07 pm
@tayte,
I know you folks are convinced its a hoax, but i am having some real occurrences. if i add a mere tablespoon to their diets, they are sick for days. anyway im glad i found this blog even though you can not substantiate the findings, i feel justified in my research. they are getting sick. if i find out more i will let you know. also i am contacting kirkland. and we are switching to a tablespoon of something else....and throwing away every can. might even make sweet potatoes and brown rice for my poor pooches
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:23 pm
@tayte,
I'm not sure it's a hoax and I'm not sure re posts are true.

0 Replies

pinkyco

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 09:37 am
@ossobuco,
Reports of possible problems with Kirkland Dog Food
Written By: Susan Thixton 3-5-2012 Categorized in: Pet Food News

News is spreading fast of possible links to Kirkland canned dog foods (sold at Costco) to sick and dying dogs. No independent laboratory testing has been done on the food - yet. However I've emailed with one pet owner who lost two dogs believed to be linked to the canned food and have heard of several others.

Kirkland canned foods are made by American Nutrition in Ogden, UT. A phone call to American Nutrition has not been returned yet. A phone call to Costco yielded no better results. Customer Service Representative Jeannie told me the company makes sure all products are safe, "We wouldn't sell a product that would harm a pet." I shared that there are reports of numerous sick and dead dogs believed to be related to the canned dog food, also that one veterinarian believes the food is related to a pet death. I asked if Costco is testing the food and if so, what type of testing is being done. Jeannie said she would investigate and return my call - she also warned that "sometimes it takes up to a week" to respond.

The suspect food is Kirkland canned Lamb & Rice Dog Food - expiration 2013.

Symptoms have been diarrhea and vomiting. One pet was diagnosed with malabsorption syndrome (when the small intestines cannot absorb nutrients from food).

Again, we do NOT know for certain if the Kirkland food is linked to these illnesses - it is only suspect at this point. If you feed your pet a Kirkland canned food, be very observant of your pet. Should you see any sign of 'out of normal' behavior, see your veterinarian immediately. Should we learn anything more regarding this issue (from pet owners testing the food to response from American Nutrition and/or Costco), news will be posted.

Wishing you and your pet(s) the best,
Susan Thixton
Pet Food Safety Advocate
Author, Buyer Beware
Co-Author Dinner PAWsible
TruthaboutPetFood.com
PetsumerReport.com
pinkyco

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 09:40 am
@CalamityJane,
There is a good reason those cheap canned foods smell so bad, it's from the rotten ingredients. If you purchase high end organic dog canned food, it smells good. It makes sense, doesn't it!!!!
roger

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 12:42 pm
@pinkyco,
That's not really true. Dogs will roll in, and eat some really incredible stuff, without apparant harm.
0 Replies