Is Velveeta real cheese?

jcboy

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 10:21 am
I love this cheesy tomato chip dip Marco has made a few times, he calls it “queso”. It’s a great dip for chips. I thought it sounded too complicated to make then I saw an empty carton of Velveeta cheese in the recycle bin.

Apparently all he does is melt the Velveeta in a double broiler and dice up a couple of tomatoes.

So much for making everything from scratch.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 10:23 am
@jcboy,
Velveeta isn't even real food. You might need to start looking for a new boyfriend.
jcboy

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 10:24 am
@maxdancona,
lol, he's much better at other things Wink
Sloan

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 10:40 am
@jcboy,
How's the cooking class working out for ya?
jcboy

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 10:45 am
@Sloan,
Very well thank you very much! Cool

It's actually quite fun.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 11:00 am
Velveeta is what is called processed cheese food. It cracks me up that people get all snotty about Velveeta, and then go out and buy La Vache Qui Rit, which is also processed cheese food, but they charge you more for it.
MMarciano

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 11:06 am
@Setanta,
Yum, mix with chili or salsa for KILLER a dip Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 11:09 am
There was a restaurant in a town i once lived in which made chili con queso from scratch, and they used Mexican white and yellow cheese. But it was only good if you got it hot from the stove, and you had to keep stirring it. It was finest kind!
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 11:50 am
@jcboy,
This is coming from someone who thinks Vodka is one of the three basic food groups. Laughing
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 01:04 pm
@Setanta,
My SIL makes the dip Morgan is talking about and she uses Velveeta -- melts it in a crockpot and adds a pound of crumbled ground beef and a can of Rotel tomatoes. It's soooooo good lol. We tease her a lot about using the processed cheese, though.

I've made it by first stirring up a roux and then adding the cheeses slowly 'til they melt -- then the tomatoes and beef. My SIL's method is, of course, way quicker and just as tasty (if not moreso).
0 Replies

Adam4Adam

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 03:07 pm
@jcboy,
Yes it's fake cheese buddy! I love that recipe Irish!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 04:10 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
lol, he's much better at other things

I hope none of them involve Velveeta.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 04:12 pm
What's in Valveeta.

Quote:
Ingredients
Regular Velveeta cheese contains milk, water, milk fat, whey, whey protein concentrate and milk protein concentrate. These ingredients make up the bulk of the product. Enzymes and cheese culture are included to aid in the manufacture of the cheese -- these ingredients are bacterial agents that determine the taste, texture and appearance of cheese products. Velveeta cheese contains alginate, an emulsifier found naturally in brown algae. Sodium citrate adds a tart flavor in addition to acting as a preservative and acidity regulator. Sodium phosphate functions similarly to extend the product's shelf life. Two ingredients give Velveeta cheese its distinct hue -- annatto, a yellow-orange color additive derived from the tropical achiote trees, and apocarotenal, an orange color additive derived from citrus fruits.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/257409-velveeta-cheese-nutritional-facts/#ixzz1o5usf1Qp
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 04:17 pm
@jcboy,
Velveeta is made with real cheese. Definitely more cheesy than a lot of other cheese 'products'.

I'd rather have cheese than a
Quote:
Pasteurized process cheese food
to eat straight up, but there are some recipes that Velveeta is simply better for because of the way it melts.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 04:44 pm
bookmark. gotta try some of those dips.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 04:50 pm
@ehBeth,
When I used to eat chili con queso (never made it myself), it was served in a dish or pot over a flame, rather like fondue used to be. I looked up the ingredients at the time - am remembering some mexican cheese like asadero.. which they didn't have at my market. Plenty of mexican cheese here in NM - I should see if I can do this.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 07:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Review of Stephen Fry in America.

Quote:
Next we travel through the ridiculously cold Wisconsin, so cold that Stephen's water is frozen in it's bottle, and meet with a woman who has a noble calling indeed. She intends to bring decent, proper cheese to America. Now I love the country, but I have to completely agree with Stephen's sentiment here. American cheese is utterly lousy, it's amongst the worst in the world - if not actually the worst. But here at least some proper decent cheese is being made in the traditional ways. And bravo for it!

http://rev-views.blogspot.com/2008/10/stephen-fry-in-america-episode-three.html
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 08:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Pfffft, California has a lot of decent cheese.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 08:29 pm
@jcboy,
Velveeta is currently sold in the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Philippines, and South Korea.

This should be answer enough for you! Only polish the furniture with it!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:50 am
@ossobuco,
I'm sorry but that's what came to mind. Fry was very complimentary about lots of other aspects about America, he did have a rather extreme reaction to cheese though.