Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 05:18 pm
A timely slide show for leap year by Magnum photographers. This is a rare slide show for me in that I like all the photos..
See http://todayspictures.slate.com/20120229/

I'll just show the first one:

http://todayspictures.slate.com/20120229/images/PAR38491.jpg

Philippe Halsman photographed more than 100 cover portraits for Life magazine. On the side, he frequently requested that his subjects jump for him; he developed a study of what he termed “jumpology.” "In a jump," he wrote, "the subject, in a sudden burst of energy, overcomes gravity. He cannot simultaneously control his expressions, his facial and limb muscles. The mask falls. The real self becomes visible." On Leap Day, we give you an illustrious set of leapers.

Manhattan Project physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1958.
© Philippe Halsman / Magnum Photos
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,532 • Replies: 3
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 05:56 pm
@ossobuco,
These are great photos! Thanks for finding them, osso!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I needed something to cheer me up today and that hit just the right spot! Thank you, osso, for posting this link.

Didn't they all look like they were having fun? Well.... except for the few who looked terribly self conscious about the whole endeavor.....

I would love to be able to hear the replies and to see the puzzled looks to the photographer's question "Now, will you jump for me?"
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 09:58 pm
@boomerang,
It did all look like fun to me. I suppose there is much sturm and drang involved in getting some of those shots, but most were probably done without too many tries..
0 Replies