• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,748 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 02:26 pm
@gungasnake,
Sorry. The first four minutes were like watching an animated kaliadoscope.

I love the Musashi character, though. The painting of Musashi with the joyful smile on his face is classic.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:43 pm
@roger,
This one gets a lot better after the first four or five minutes.
roger

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:49 pm
@gungasnake,
Didn't take that long for my annoyance line to cross the interest line. Thanks anyway.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 05:44 pm
@roger,
The thing about the Yoshioka clan trying to ambush Musashi seemed worth the price of admission. I thought that was BS from the film with Toshiro Mifune, turns out it's a true story and this little video goes over Musashi's comments as to how to go about actually taking on a number of people like that.
roger

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 07:17 pm
@gungasnake,
Maybe I'll get back to it. Anyhow, I'll tag it, if you haven't already.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 05:30 am
@gungasnake,
The story of several of Musashi's encounters and the strategies he used to win them are recounted in A Book of Five Rings (Go Rin No Sho).

It can be found on the web: http://samuraiconsulting.ca/5rings/transintro/life.html
gungasnake

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 10:27 pm
@rosborne979,
You can probably assume that nobody ever survived 60+ to-the-death sword fights by being a nice guy.....
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 10:47 pm
Didn't have 80 minutes to watch it when I hit this thread, but definitely will. Since someone mentioned Mifune, I assume the program talks about the fantastic Samurai Trilogy, starring Mifune, classic films from the 50s or the 60s.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 05:41 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
You can probably assume that nobody ever survived 60+ to-the-death sword fights by being a nice guy...
By most accounts, Musashi, especially during his early years, was a first class asshole and a barbarian. In our society he would probably be considered a psychopathic murderer.
gungasnake

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 10:35 am
@rosborne979,
I think average lifespan for ronin in that age was about 25. You could only fault somebody so much for wanting to be the exception to a rule like that...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 10:54 am
There's another funny sort of a thing about the number 60 here.....

In our age, something like 25 - 30 professional prize fights is viewed as a career; if somebody makes it to that point without serious damage, he's basically succeeded. Somebody like Roberto Duran or Manny Pacquaio who makes it to double that number without damage is almost an impossible proposition for anybody close to his own size, the edge in experience would be overwhelming. Duran ran out of opponents close to his size and had to start trying to beat up progressively bigger people to earn money at it and at that point you'd bee better off switching to tennis or baseball or something.

Size would be much less of a factor in sword fights and in the case of Musashi who was big to begin with, by the time he got to 50 or 60 fights, no sane person should have wanted anything (involving swords) to do with him.
0 Replies