• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 6,565 • Replies: 21
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 01:32 pm
@JoeBruno,
Mental illness has always been impossible to define. If people say it is a mental illness than it is a mental illness.
djjd62

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 01:39 pm
@JoeBruno,
psychiatry is a mental illness
roger

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:42 pm
I once knew a college student that said he was studying to be a psychologist. I asked him why. His answer: Little Tin God Complex.
0 Replies

JoeBruno

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 07:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Not true at all.The authority for mental illnesses was always rested with the Psychiatrists.In the USA, the authority of the profession is written in the DSMIV, written by the American Psychiatry Association:

http://allpsych.com/disorders/dsm.html
0 Replies

JoeBruno

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 07:23 pm
@djjd62,
As someone who has gotten alot of help from psychiatrists, I must emphatically disagree with you.There are some useless ones out there, but most of them do good work.
firefly

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 11:37 am
@JoeBruno,
Dr. Poussaint is really referring only to extreme racism, where the person tries to harm or kill members of a particular group because of certain beliefs about that group that Poussaint considers delusional.

In most cases, there is both a cultural basis, as well as some cultural support, for these extremely prejudiced beliefs, even when they are irrational or inaccurate and based on distortions, and, in some instances, there is also cultural support for taking aggressive action against a particular group, so I would not agree that the thinking involved is delusional in nature and I would not see it as reflecting mental illness.

By Poussaint's standards, the members of the KKK would be considered mentally ill, particularly when these members regularly engaged in lynchings, the Nazi's would be considered mentally ill in their attempts to exterminate Jews. I think these types of examples indicate extreme anti-social behaviors and extreme prejudicial attitudes that unify particular groups by designating a common enemy that serves as an outlet for the group's aggression. These groups are extreme in their prejudices, and in their actions, but I wouldn't regard this as indicative of mental illness.

While Poussaint wants extreme racism considered as a mental illness, so that it can be addressed as a treatment issue, I think that it is better considered as extreme sociopathic behavior and regarded as criminal, and a hate crime, in terms of how society understands and addresses it. I agree with Poussaint that such individuals pose a danger to others, but not because they are dangerously mentally ill. They do not lack the capacity to control their actions, they do not lack the capacity to differentiate right from wrong, and, when they act in a way to harm members of a particular group for prejudicial reasons, they should be held fully accountable and responsible for their actions, and not just in need of treatment for alleged "delusions".

Fairly recently, there have been instances of Hispanic men being randomly selected and beaten to death by small groups of teens holding extreme prejudicial attitudes toward Latinos. Instances of gay-bashing are other examples of extreme prejudice, as are fire-bombings of synagogues, such as the very recent case where a rabbi and his family were asleep in the building when a fire of this type was started. And instances of hate crimes toward blacks still occur. In all these instances that I am aware of, the individuals involved were aware of the nature of their acts, no matter what rationalizations they used to justify these actions, and they did not lack the ability to control their impulses. There is a significant difference between rationalizing a prejudicial action and being compelled by a delusional belief which has no basis in reality and no societal support whatsoever.

I do not doubt that the individuals involved in these sorts of extreme prejudicial actions have personality problems, with likely paranoid features, that predispose them to acting-out and scapegoating in this manner, and that treatment for those problems should be considered a necessary part of rehabilitation for a criminal offense, but I do not regard their acts of hatred as indicative of a delusional mental illness. To suggest that it is mental illness implies we should withhold moral judgments of such behaviors, and I would not find that acceptable. We have every reason to view the harmful behaviors that derive from extreme prejudice in moral terms, and to consider such behaviors as abhorrent, unacceptable, and criminal. And the basis for these behaviors could best be understood in terms of an interaction of socio-cultural factors and individual personality dynamics. Just slapping a diagnostic label of "extreme racism" on such individuals would explain nothing, nor would it change how society must respond to their behaviors. It's just a needless diagnostic entity.

djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 12:24 pm
@JoeBruno,
hmmm, where exactly did i say that psychiatrists are useless or don't do good work

i too have had some work with a psychiatrist, not sure he had much to do with helping me in active way, just the fact i was able to verbalize things that were bothering me and he listened in a completely non judgmental manner was helpful

much like freud's cigar, sometimes a statement is just a statement
rosborne979

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 05:47 am
@JoeBruno,
JoeBruno wrote:
Is Racism a Mental Illness?
We would like to think so. But it's probably a natural human tendency (to be suspicious of anyone or anything not like ourselves), which has gone unchecked by cultural balances and perhaps aggravated by personal anger or bad examples while young.

IMO the vast majority of Racism is probably learned behavior. Usually learned early in life from family or friends who already carried the behavior.
0 Replies

JoeBruno

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 10:30 pm
@djjd62,
JoeBruno

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 10:32 pm
@firefly,
Poussaint said nothing about violence.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 12:07 am
@JoeBruno,
JoeBruno wrote:

You appear to be not correct

Quote:
Poussaint believes that extreme (violent) racists suffer from a delusional mental illness. He lectures widely on college campuses and serves as a consultant to government agencies and private corporations. In addition, he is active as a media consultant on a wide range of social issues. He is concerned with media images and issues regarding the needs of children and the changing family; he has been active in the national TV rating and V-chip discussions. He is a strong proponent of nonviolent parenting and parenting education.

http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/11470.aspx
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 12:18 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Poussaint dismisses the biblical imperative so often used as a justification for corporal punishment as “a tired excuse.”

“Violence begets violence, anger begets anger, and the loss of control makes it all worse,” he said.

www.behavioradvisor.com/SpankingAndCulture.docx

This dude appears to be a rather extreme peacenik...few go so far as to claim that we should try to rub out anger. He is also among the most extreme of the Anti-spanking zealots.
firefly

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 12:37 am
@JoeBruno,
Quote:

Go back and read the article you linked to...I think you missed the main point of the type of behavior he wanted classified as a delusional disorder.

He is only talking about exteme racism--which is characterized by acts of violence toward members of a racial group--the acting out of extermination fantasies--and that's what he wanted to have classified as a delusional disorder.

That's also the basis for his wanting it considered a dangerous mental disorder.

Quote:
The American Psychiatric Association has never officially recognized extreme racism (as opposed to ordinary prejudice) as a mental health problem, although the issue was raised more than 30 years ago. After several racist killings in the civil rights era, a group of black psychiatrists sought to have extreme bigotry classified as a mental disorder.
The association's officials rejected the recommendation, arguing that because so many Americans are racist, even extreme racism in this country is normative—a cultural problem rather than an indication of psychopathology.

The psychiatric profession's primary index for diagnosing psychiatric symptoms, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), does not include racism, prejudice, or bigotry in its text or index.1 Therefore, there is currently no support for including extreme racism under any diagnostic category. This leads psychiatrists to think that it cannot and should not be treated in their patients.To continue perceiving extreme racism as normative and not pathologic is to lend it legitimacy. Clearly, anyone who scapegoats a whole group of people and seeks to eliminate them to resolve his or her internal conflicts meets criteria for a delusional disorder, a major psychiatric illness. Extreme racists' violence should be considered in the context of behavior described by Allport in The Nature of Prejudice.2 Allport's 5-point scale categorizes increasingly dangerous acts. It begins with verbal expression of antagonism, progresses to avoidance of members of disliked groups, then to active discrimination against them, to physical attack, and finally to extermination (lynchings, massacres, genocide). That fifth point on the scale, the acting out of extermination fantasies, is readily classifiable as delusional behavior...

It is time for the American Psychiatric Association to designate extreme racism as a mental health problem by recognizing it as a delusional psychotic symptom. Persons afflicted with such psychopathology represent an immediate danger to themselves and others.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071634/

In the article you linked to, he is really only referring to violent extreme racism--that's what he wanted classified as a delusional mental disorder.

What did you think he was talking about?
firefly

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 01:13 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
few go so far as to claim that we should try to rub out anger

He's not saying anything about trying to rub out anger.

He feels that corporal punishment of children has negative effects in general and has particularly negative consequences in the African American community.
He wants parents, particularly African Americans, to use non-physical methods of disciplining their children.

He wants both parents and children to learn how to handle their anger in non-violent ways.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 01:21 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
few go so far as to claim that we should try to rub out anger

He's not saying anything about trying to rub out anger.

He feels that corporal punishment of children has negative effects in general and has particularly negative consequences in the African American community.
He wants parents, particularly African Americans, to use non-physical methods of disciplining their children.

He wants both parents and children to learn how to handle their anger in non-violent ways.

Listen to the man

Quote:
The high levels of domestic violence, child abuse, psychological and sexual abuse, and physical neglect that prevail in Black communities are unacceptable. Such mistreatment contributes to high levels of anger and violence. Too many of our children feel abandoned, some literally and others figuratively. We can support mental health and minimize mental dysfunction if we treat ourselves and our children with underlying love and respect—like the parents on The Cosby Show—rather than treating them with anger, abuse, and neglect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1586152/

He clearly equates anger with violence, abuse and neglect....which presumably are things that he wishes to rub out in humanity.
JoeBruno

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 03:40 am
@firefly,
I'd like to know how anyone can predict when a racist will become violent.
If we wait until they do,they will end up in prison or dead by execution or killing by a police officer and it's too late to help them with therapy.Mental health therapy should prevent violence, not simply label it
as what it obviously is after it's too late to save the victims.

Psychiatric care should help people stay safe, not simply paste a label on a deranged killer after he has already killed an innocent person.

This is not an academic question, but a practical one of how to save people from violence by preventing it.In dealing with racism, it is better to be safe than sorry by treating the racist before he becomes violent and nobody can predict if or when that will happen.

firefly

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 05:50 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
He clearly equates anger with violence, abuse and neglect....which presumably are things that he wishes to rub out in humanity.

Anger is a normal human emotion, he knows that, he's not trying to "rub it out".
He wants to reduce aggression. Aggression and anger are not the same.

You are misreading him. He is obviously concerned with the high levels of aggression and violence in the African American community and he feels it's related to the types of parenting, or lack of parenting, and the types of physical discipline, that African American parents engage in.
He feels too many parents in that community treat their children with anger, abuse, and neglect-- and he's urging them to use love and respect instead. He's not saying they shouldn't get angry, or that they shouldn't discipline their children, he's saying they shouldn't beat, abuse, and neglect, their kids. He not only wants to see the children treated better, he doesn't want the parents modeling violent or aggressive behavior for their children--including by beating them or by using corporal punishment.

You don't think trying to reduce aggression and violence is a worthwhile goal? He wants people to learn how to handle and express anger in non-violent ways.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 06:14 am
@JoeBruno,
Quote:
I'd like to know how anyone can predict when a racist will become violent.

You can't really predict it. But Poussaint, in the link you posted, mentions the 5 stages of prejudice, the 5th stage being the level at which violence might occur. So, when someone approaches that stage, in terms of the bigoted attitudes they are expressing, that's when you should, according to Poussaint, consider them delusional and dangerous and institute treatment, presumably even involuntarily if they are regarded as a danger to self or others.

Extreme racists are unlikely to show up on a psychiatrist's doorstep for treatment, and you really can't force them into treatment for "dangerous racist delusions", unless they are an imminent threat.

Psychiatrists are often faced with the problem of trying to prevent violent actions by the mentally ill, it's not something unique to extreme racists. But we can't just confine people in psychiatric hospitals or force treatment on them unless they are an imminent danger to others. The mentally ill have civil rights too.

I don't agree with Poussaint that extreme racists are mentally ill. And I expressed that view in my previous post.

Can you predict when any terrorist will become violent? Want to put all terrorists in psychiatric treatment?
Exreme racism, of the KKK lynching type, is a form of terrorism.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 06:16 am
@JoeBruno,
JoeBruno wrote:

so now you agree with me

i'm so confused