Spinosaurus -- six known specimens, but hundreds of fossil teeth for sale?

hg1970

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 09:41 am
There are listings all over the internet, eBay, etc for genuine Spinosaurus teeth from Morrocco. If only six specimens have been discovered, why are so many teeth available?

Sturgis

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 10:09 am
@hg1970,
Cloning
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 11:45 am
@hg1970,
What makes you think only six specimens have been discovered?
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 11:53 am
@hg1970,
like fossil sharks, there are literally bazillions of fossil shark teeth from various ages available to the market, yet there are few whole shark skeletons

1sharks renew their teeth

2teeth are more durable and fossilize more easily than a skeleton.
Id imagine the same is true for lots pf other animals includdeing spinosaurs.

Since spinosaurs are unoique age-wise and geographically, Id ask whether my spinosaur teeth are (I believe)moroccan and are from the cenomanian age.
hg1970

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 01:16 pm
@rosborne979,
It's a documented fact that there have only been six discovered. And the holotype was destroyed during WWII, so only five remain.
0 Replies

hg1970

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 01:18 pm
@farmerman,
Spinosaurs also renewed their teeth -- good point. Funny thing is that so did T. Rex and those teeth are much more scarce and expensive!

Thanks for the input!
rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 02:36 pm
@hg1970,
There also seems to be some confusion between Spinosaurus teeth and crocodile teeth. So there are probably lots of "false" Spinosaurus teeth also being advertised.
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 04:21 pm
@rosborne979,
thats why a good look at the teeth is in order. Spinosaurs were limited in time and range. Theyve been fossilized into silicate minerals like opalized cherts or chalcedony. so, anybody with a handlens can tell whether they were modern or old teeth. ALso, they could be a Giganotosaurus. However a Gig came from S AMerica and the SPinosaurs camme from Africa, so the locale is imprtant to. The rest is just making sure its not cast plastic or some crap like that.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 05:37 am
@farmerman,
I used to find sharks teeth when I was a kid. We had a local creek that was chock full of them. That was fun. But I don't feel any urge to purchase fossil teeth anywhere. I'm more interested in other fossils like trilobites and Ammonites. I wish I had some big display specimens of that type, but I can't afford them.
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 06:00 am
@rosborne979,
trilobites are great little packages of evolutionary significance. You can go from formation to formation throught time and watch and see how the newer "models" appear. THey are all over New England and the maritimes.
The best way to collect trilobites is to go out and find them yourself. Buying trilobites is for pussies.
Ammoites are sorta cool too but not as available because they needed special deepwater conditions being preserved and most of the offshore and near shor environments favor trilobites and brachiopods and crinoids.

rosborne979

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 07:23 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

trilobites are great little packages of evolutionary significance. You can go from formation to formation throught time and watch and see how the newer "models" appear. THey are all over New England and the maritimes.
I don't think there are any fossil hunting places in New Hampshire. But if you know of any, let me know.
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 10:05 am
@rosborne979,
http://www.fossilsites.com/STATES/NH.HTM

Heres a bunch. Ive been to the trilobite sites in the Silurian rocks. There are several sedimentary areas in NH that are Marine Devonian and Silurian. Youll find crinoids, brachs, and some trilobites.

There was also a peat deposit as the last ice melted it formed glacial kame traps that have caught several mammoths and a cave bear
0 Replies