Girl's lunch confiscated; forced to eat government food

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 11:48 am
http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=8762

Quote:

RAEFORD — A preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School ate three chicken nuggets for lunch Jan. 30 because a state employee told her the lunch her mother packed was not nutritious.

The girl’s turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the interpretation of the agent who was inspecting all lunch boxes in her More at Four classroom that day.

The Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs — including in-home day care centers — to meet USDA guidelines. That means lunches must consist of one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables, even if the lunches are brought from home.

When home-packed lunches do not include all of the required items, child care providers must supplement them with the missing ones.

The girl’s mother — who said she wishes to remain anonymous to protect her daughter from retaliation..........

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 10,719 • Replies: 111

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 06:17 pm
@gungasnake,
Its that fuckin Obama. He had the school dieticiasn take that kids lunch and make her eat those damned communist chicken mcnuggets.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 06:37 pm
@gungasnake,
I must say I love the new meaning of "confiscated" used by RWers.

Quote:
Girl's lunch confiscated; forced to eat government food

Quote:
When home-packed lunches do not include all of the required items, child care providers must supplement them with the missing ones.

No wonder they are afraid Obama is going to "confiscate" their guns. He might supplement them with bullets.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 07:13 pm
Turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice = bad.

3 chicken nuggets = good.

???
gungasnake

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 07:21 pm
Three government mcnuggets for lunch after the poor girl's mother sent her to school with "...a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice"....

I mean, I could picture the woman sending the poor kid to school with a hunting rifle to give her a shot at KILLING something for food during the day...

Quote:
Dear libtard teacher and assorted other govt. agents, the rifle Sally is bringing to school is to provide her with food during the day so she doesn't ******* starve or end up looking like Bork or Mike Obunga from malnutrition...

Then again, if ALL of America's Christians along with anybody else seeking something better for their children were to pull the plug on the stinking government schools on the same day, then beginning that day or within a couple of weeks of that day there would in fact be options which everybody could afford, even as there were in the United States BEFORE the age of public schools modeled on the Prussian system.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 07:23 pm
@Irishk,
Quote:
Turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice = bad.

3 chicken nuggets = good.

???

You're saying that there's at least one person here besides me who noticed that...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 07:30 pm
Quote:
When the girl came home with her lunch untouched, her mother wanted to know what she ate instead. Three chicken nuggets, the girl answered. Everything else on her cafeteria tray went to waste. ...

Girl's a finicky eater like I was at that age.

Here's the basic reality of child nutrition in one simple sentence for anybody who might not have figured this out yet:

If the kid can't or won't eat it, the sum total nutritional value is ZERO!!

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 07:35 pm
@gungasnake,
from your link

Quote:
students who did not bring a “healthy lunch” would be offered the missing portions,

the nuggets were offered as a supplement to her lunch - not a replacement for her lunch

~~

she chose to eat the nuggets instead of her lunch. <shrug>

that's what kids do
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 07:36 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
BEFORE the age of public schools modeled on the Prussian system.

the U.S. should be so lucky as to have the quality of education offered in Prussia 100 years ago
gungasnake

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 07:45 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
the U.S. should be so lucky as to have the quality of education offered in Prussia 100 years ago

We ARE that "lucky(TM)", that's what we've got. We had real education systems in place before that **** happened.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 07:45 pm
@Irishk,
Quote:
....lunches must consist of one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables, even if the lunches are brought from home.

Frankly I think a meal consisting of most of the other components would be healthier without the (deep fried?) nugget. Or even without any meat at all, for those who'd prefer it.

Some would query the inclusion of milk, too. A lot of people are allergic to milk.
Perhaps a few protein-alternatives could have been considered?

Not commenting on politics here. Just food. Wink
gungasnake

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 07:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
the nuggets were offered as a supplement to her lunch - not a replacement for her lunch

That isn't the way the thing reads:

Quote:
A preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School ate three chicken nuggets for lunch Jan. 30 because a state employee told her the lunch her mother packed was not nutritious...

For whatever reason, and I would assume the govt. school agent telling the kid her mother was trying to poison her had something to do with it, the kid ate three mcnuggets instead of the nice lunch which her mother had sent her to school with.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:04 pm
@msolga,
That's what I was thinking, too.

Turkey = one serving of meat (plus extra protein in the cheese)
Sandwich bread = one serving of grain
Banana and apple juice = two servings of fruit or vegetables

Sounds like the mom had it covered except for the milk and the cheese could actually make up for that.

Of course, if kids are offered junk food like chicken nuggets, they'll want to fill up on that first lol.

I guess there are just not enough problems in the world, so some silly ones have to be manufactured by the bureaucrats.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:08 pm
@Irishk,
Quote:
I guess there are just not enough problems in the world, so some silly ones have to be manufactured by the bureaucrats.

It's worse than that, what this amounts to is demoKKKrat/libtard thought processes at work. You can count on the same phenomenon producing $5/gal gas prices around this coming October/November.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:15 pm
@Irishk,
I suspect the bureaucrats' intentions were good, but they need to tinker with the food details a bit, be more flexible about different options .....
We have a lot of deep fried crap in many Oz school canteens, too. Some kids would live on little else, if they could.
But I suspect education about food & cooking (starting at a young age) might be the best way to persuade kids to develop healthier eating habits. There's quite a growing "grow your own (at school) and cook it then eat it" movement here. I imagine similar is happening in US schools. Very popular with students, by all accounts.
Thomas

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:16 pm
@gungasnake,
Gungasake forgot to mention that the source of his article, the Carolina Journal, is not the independent publication that its innocent title suggests. It's a mouthpiece for the John Locke Foundation. This foundation, in turn, is a tobacco-industry-funded, global-warming-denying, movement-libertarian think tank. It's controlled by Art Pope, the godfather of North Carolina's Republican party. Given the past performance of such propaganda rags, why should we accept this one's factual representations as true?
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:30 pm
@Thomas,
Ah, I see!
That story did seem rather far-fetched.

Oh well, we got to talk about kids & nutrition, so all was not lost. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:49 pm
@msolga,
This is the type of primary school kitchen garden program I was referring to.
A terrific way to educate little kids about cooking & nutrition!

http://collingwood.vic.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/P1030617-1024x684.jpg

http://collingwood.vic.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/K.G-Harvest-table-competiton-045-1-1024x777.jpg

Kitchen garden:
http://collingwood.vic.edu.au/our-programs/kitchen-garden/
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 09:08 pm
You don't need to believe in evolution to comprehend that Elaine Morgan is almost certainly correct in claiming that modern man originally lived in water, and that we share a hundred or more traits with the aquatic mammals.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Hypothesis-Condor-Indep-Voices/dp/0285635182

That also says that the original human diet was some combination of shellfish (which we could get with our hands but fish can't really do anything with), and fruit which grew naturally along the shore. That's the reason for the human taste for sweet things.

Everything else we eat aside from that are acquired tastes. In particular, vegetables were never a part of that picture and are not a natural food for humans and there is no reason for children to be eating them. The whole world knows that a little kid's reaction to alcohol and tobacco is correct, why would anybody think that same little kid's reaction to vegetables, particularly green vegetables, was wrong? When something tastes bad, your body is trying to tell you something and when a kid can't or won't eat something, the sum total nutritional value is ZERO!
gungasnake

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 09:30 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
This foundation, in turn, is a tobacco-industry-funded, global-warming-denying, movement-libertarian think tank.

At this juncture, anybody who would use that term is basically a liar. I mean, there's no longer any excuse for it.