It's Darwin Day

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 02:25 pm
Did your significant other buy you a gift? A monkey or anything? I am going out back to swing on a limb a few times. Oo oo oo.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,270 • Replies: 16
No top replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 03:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI6mrPWzLii_7npW_qPzRxopbIInJQBto82Nv5PqprVSQD1c2fxg

Charles Robert Darwin. . . . . God Bless Him.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 04:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Do the funky gibbon.

I wunder what the hell Charles would think about these anti science and fundamental religious types who are still trying to cast doubts on Charles well substantiated theory? If he were allowed to come back for a day and just go visit some of our places of education.

I think hed head for his vomitorium.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 04:40 pm
And now this word from The Pope.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19956961/ns/world_news-europe/t/pope-creation-vs-evolution-clash-absurdity/#.Tzg_dsXy92B

Joe(a nice read)Nation
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 04:42 pm
The Pope is at least willing to work with us on it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 08:42 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
And now this word from The Pope...
He's up to something... I know it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 09:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Happy Birthday Charles!!!!! Vot a Mensch.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 09:46 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Do the funky gibbon.

I wunder what the hell Charles would think about these anti science and fundamental religious types who are still trying to cast doubts on Charles well substantiated theory? If he were allowed to come back for a day and just go visit some of our places of education.

I think hed head for his vomitorium.

nah...he'd think himself back in his own time....only with the yahoos having taken over the world and more electronic communication.
dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 09:48 pm
@Joe Nation,
Erm.....I think Charles might well have agreed. From memory, I don't think he saw a clash between reasonable christianity and evolution....only between crazy christian fundamentalists and evolution.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 04:16 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
he'd think himself back in his own time
Thats the reason he installed a vomitorium at Down House.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 09:13 am
@farmerman,
I'm afraid you've made the common mistake about what a vomitorium is. You're not alone, I was under the same impression until very recently.

Quote:
A vomitorium is a passage situated below or behind a tier of seats in an amphitheatre, through which big crowds can exit rapidly at the end of a performance. The Latin word vomitorium, plural vomitoria, derives from the verb vomeo, vomere, vomitum, "to spew forth." In ancient Roman architecture, vomitoria were designed to provide rapid egress for large crowds at amphitheatres and stadiums, as they do in modern sports stadiums and large theaters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vomitorium
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 09:49 am
@izzythepush,
ACtually I didnt make a "common mistake" since I only used the word maybe twice in my life before this and both times in reference to Darwins application of vomitories' SO the misunderstandings must have included Darwin himself since thats the term he used for his room behind the curtain.
You must agree that the term does speak a function that has nothing to do with egress (maybe rapid egress for ones lunch)
izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 12:35 pm
@farmerman,
If he had a room specifically for being sick in then you're right.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 12:43 pm
@izzythepush,
He had his study divided into a main study and his "vomitorium" wherein he would ingest vomitories and then vomit. He was one mutha of a hypochondriac.
He should have been the one on whose tombstone was engraved

CHARLES R. DARWIN

1809-------1882

SEE I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK

izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 12:56 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks for that, it's good to learn something new every day, and I have a feeling that particular snippet of information will stick.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 01:01 pm
@izzythepush,
I forget on whose tombstone that was actually put on but it was an amaerican pianist I think. Wasnt Gershwin or Ray Charles
izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 01:40 pm
@farmerman,
I heard it as a joke by Spike Milligan.
0 Replies