BBB didn't know there was a pink rice - did you?

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 01:39 pm
Madagascar Pink Rice™
Dista's Magic Rice, Imported from Madagascar

But for the keen attention of one farmer, Jean Baptiste Rakotomandimby (known as Dista), this unique Malagasy rice variety may have been lost forever. Grown from a single seed, Madagascar Pink Rice amazed people with its abundant growth and satisfying, subtly sweet flavor. Elusively aromatic of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, this soft supple rice is also nutritionally dense, milled to retain most of the wholesome bran layer. In the Lake Alaotra region, where this rice is produced, locals claim that eating this rice has improved their health.

Madagascar Pink Rice will transform any rice dish into a special meal. Use it steamed plain, in a pilaf, stir-fry, salad or pudding.

Madagascar Pink Rice is grown by households of the Koloharena Cooperative of Amparafaravola using a more sustainable set of practices called the System of Rice Intensification (SRI). SRI enables small family farmers to harvest more rice using less water, seed, land and no chemicals. Lake Alaotra's marshy shores are home to the critically endangered Alaotran Gentle Lemur. It is hoped that SRI will help reduce degradation of the lemur's dwindling habitat by making existing land more productive without the need for polluting chemicals. Visit our MCPD section to learn more about this amazing system that is changing the rice-growing world.

Pink rice cooks in only 20 minutes
Whole grain and heart healthy
3rd year transition, organic certification
Fair trade
Gluten and wheat free

It turns out that there are all kinds of rice I didn't know about.

Organic

Organic Brown Jasmine Rice
Organic Brown Mekong Flower
Organic Carnaroli Rice
Organic Forbidden Rice®
Organic Jade Pearl Rice™
Organic Jasmine Rice
Organic Madagascar Pink Rice™
Organic Mekong Flower Rice™
Organic Volcano Rice™

Whole Grain

Bhutan Red Rice
Forbidden Rice®
Organic Forbidden Rice®
Organic Volcano Rice™

More Crop Per Drop™ Rice

Organic Volcano Rice™
Madagascar Pink Rice™

All Rices

Bhutan Red Rice
Forbidden Rice®
Organic Carnaroli Rice
Organic Forbidden Rice®
Organic Jade Pearl Rice™
Organic Jasmine Rice
Organic Volcano Rice™
Madagascar Pink Rice™

COLOR OF PINK RICE - PHOTO:

http://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Foods-Madagascar-Pink-11-Pound/dp/B002DVNM7W
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,818 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 01:46 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Interesting about all the different rices. I had very vague recollection of hearing about pink rice, mainly because of how I used to turn white rice into a pinkish hue when beet juice would mix in with it. Our rice at home was plain, no butter added or seasonings...my mother cooked that way and served it the same, so I was always mixing whatever was along side with the rice. She liked beets almost as much as I do, so we had them on a regular basis....unfortunately we also had to survive the hideous beet greens, so there I was with lots of tasty red water and boring rice.

I have started rambling, back to the start, thank you for posting this information BBB.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 01:51 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Yep, I knew about there being a lot of varieties, but not specifically about the Malagasy pink - I think, not sure, I had a thread on rices once. Lotus Foods is a kind of treasure, far as I know of them anyway. I've tried the Carnaroli, the Bhutan Red, and the Forbidden (black) rices. The website has recipes too - in fact I was thinking about what to do with the black rice yesterday, and saved these two recipes, still on my desk top. The second one is the one that interests me most:

http://www.lotusfoods.com/Forbidden-Rice-Tabbouleh-Recipe/rr/100709&ret=
http://www.lotusfoods.com/Forbidden-Rice-Salad-Recipe/rr/100345&ret=

I wonder if Keller's (over on Coors by Albertson's) carries the Pink Rice; they could probably order it. I guess the Dista Pink Rice and the Lotus Food rices are two different importers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 06:57 pm
It turns out my ordinary market is listening, and now we have rices in the smallish bulk section. I do mean smallish.

But - today I bought sweet brown rice, a short grain. I'll use it instead of arborio for a Budino di Riso, or more likely, for budini di riso, which are hard to find a recipe for if you investigate online.

Still, I well remember the budini di riso at the small bakery in Larkspur in a certain month (months mattering re italian stuff re saints' days). That was Emporio Rulli. Whatever day or month it was that I showed up there, there were the budini coated with chocolate. I've been trying to make them myself ever since and that is now going on more than five years.

Short grained rice a start. Today's cache is Japanese sweet brown rice (I doubt that is the correct name).
Stay tuned.
0 Replies