Amazon Plans on Opening Up Brick-and-Mortar Book Stores

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 03:20 pm
Is that goofy investment based suicide considering the economy or retro-brilliant?

Quote:
The company plans to open a retail store in Seattle, where Amazon is based, within the next few months, Amazon sources told Good E-Reader. “This project is a test to gauge the market and see if a chain of stores would be profitable,” writes Good E-Reader. “They intend on going with the small boutique route with the main emphasis on books from their growing line of Amazon Exclusives and selling their e-readers and tablets.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2012/0206/Indigo-Books-a-Million-boycott-Amazon
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 3,905 • Replies: 17

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 03:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't know about brilliant but it's plenty irritating.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 03:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
Only time will tell.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 03:25 pm
who wants to read books made of bricks and mortar?
Questioner

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 03:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, a chain store WOULD have worked. They were called Borders and Barnes & Nobel you Amazon bastards.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 03:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
I hope they move into empty Borders and Barnes and Noble buildings instead of putting up new ones...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 03:28 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
who wants to read books made of bricks and mortar?

Specialty coffee table books or books used as coffee tables?
dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 03:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
And perfume smelling like the beach?
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 11:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't whether it's a good idea or bad (considering the economy), but didn't Barnes and Noble recently refuse to sell Amazon published books in their stores? Maybe this is their revenge Smile
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 11:50 pm
I think the goal here is to depress the B&N stock price enough that they can no longer operate, which would not take much. With them gone Amazon would then be able to put the book publishers out of business and keep all of the profits from the declining book industry. Taking short leases on the best of the Borders locations should be doable, and once B&N is gone then they no longer need to keep them.

I however think that this is too much work, and too much money to put out, so amazon will take a pass. Barnes and Noble is going down regardless, no sense in spending money to speed up the process.

Quote:
If Barnes & Noble (NYSE: BKS ) is going down, it's going to sink with pride on its side.

The cavernous bookstore chain made waves yesterday, informing Bloomberg Businessweek senior reporter Brad Stone that it will not stock books put out by Amazon.com's (Nasdaq: AMZN ) fledgling Amazon Publishing arm at its retail stores.

Barnes & Noble claims that Amazon's already fragmenting the industry through online exclusivity of some titles. If Amazon wants to play that way, why should Barnes & Noble aid Amazon's plans for global domination?

The tactic may make sense on paper, but just wait until Amazon Publishing has a hit on its hands and the few people still blindly making their way to Barnes & Noble to purchase leafy reads find that the trip was wasted. Oddly enough, Barnes & Noble will offer Amazon Publishing titles through its bn.com website.

Think about that for a bit. Barnes & Noble is taking a stand, but it's going to be referring people to its website where the book will be available. It's bad enough that Amazon is encouraging real-world shoppers to do some comparison shopping in cyberspace to get a better deal. Now we have Barnes & Noble moving the e-tail revolution along?

Amazon Publishing is gaining momentum. It inked a deal with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for distribution just last week.

This is an industry that can't afford to play favorites. Do you think it mattered to Amazon that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt was teaming up with Pearson (NYSE: PSO ) and McGraw-Hill (NYSE: MHP ) to roll out $15 digital textbooks through Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL ) the week before that? Of course not. Apple and Amazon are becoming fierce rivals in the tablet realm, but Amazon can look past that in realizing that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt will enhance its distribution -- just as Barnes & Noble stores will feel woefully incomplete the next time that Amazon Publishing has a hit.

Barnes & Noble may have been in a no-win situation, but this just makes it more likely that it will have to concede defeat sooner

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/02/01/this-may-be-barnes--nobles-final-mistake.aspx

Amazon market cap is $84 BILLION, B&N is $840 million, which one do you figure wins in a fist fight?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 08:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
Three years later!

Amazon is opening its first physical bookstore tomorrow
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 09:44 pm
Ugh.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 09:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've just been reading/hearing quite a bit about the overall failure of the whole e-book phenomenon (outside of libraries). Turns out people still want to read actual books.

I wonder if there will be a similar return of magazines/newspapers?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 07:31 am
@ehBeth,
I never left paper magazines. Still easy to read photo and illustrated heavy magazines in paper form rather than on a small Kindle Fire screen.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 08:07 am
@tsarstepan,
I never really understood the appeal of kindles, I like a real book, something I may want to read again. I have a number that I've read more than twice. And I really don't want any more snappy devices with power cords.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 08:17 am
@glitterbag,
I bought the Kindle Fire not for ebooks but because my laptop died a couple of years ago and I didn't have enough money to buy a new one. I bought the tablet for basic internet browsing at home.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 01:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
After five years...:
Take a first look inside Amazon's new NYC bookstore, located at Columbus Circle, Manhattan.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 01:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
One theory for brick and mortar Amazon stores?
Quote:
So Amazon Bookstores work as a way to lure people into Prime memberships, sell them a gadget or book, or just establish a deeper relationship with a customer.

Further marketing/recruiting people into Amazon Prime.

Why Is Amazon Building Brick-and-mortar Bookstores?
0 Replies