The "visual gist"

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 04:56 pm
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with philosophy, though it may: it has to do with how your sensory structures work. I've life long low peripheral vision, extremely poor sense of smell, with age increasingly sucky hearing, but I insist I have active taste buds though even I assume they are compromised, and I can, thank goodness, feel touch.

It may be that people with fine peripheral vision differ on how they use it in daily life.

I have a cousin who is fairly expert on add and adhd, whose every word on that I don't trust (long story), who I remember saying that often people with add are particularly good at picking out what is happening - her son, for example, being good as a paramedic because of his quick reactions, peripheral view. Much as I huff, she may be right.

On reading fast or slow, I've only anecdotal observations - some people I know with spectacular data memory have been slow readers, with or without dyslexia. My take on that, if that is true in some cases, is that they process the reading more deeply into the brain, deeply being a lay word. I'm a relatively quick reader who is attuned to word sounds, word imagery, pace of the writing, general gist, the atmosphere of the described sequence, and data goes down the spout last.

I do get Set, in that I can often find something I am trying to check in a book by estimating about where in the book it was, what side of the page, how high in the page, just about where exactly.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 05:19 pm
@Setanta,
Important if everything you transliterate in Yiddish it is?

Yidlexic or Disyodaism it is.
0 Replies