Susan B. Komen foundation pulls Planned Parenthood support.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 12:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's precisely the reason the whole Board of Directors needs to be replaced; their judgement will continually be in questioned in the future.

If they indeed vetted the whole issue, then their ability to keep politics out of their decision making is lacking.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 12:55 pm
@BillRM,
Is it time to expose and nail the bastard behind this whole attack on Planned Parenthood? BBB

Meet the Man Behind Susan G. Komen's Decision to Stiff Planned Parenthood
By David A. Graham
Feb 2 2012

Long-serving Florida Republican Cliff Stearns is suddenly in the spotlight for his investigations into Planned Parenthood and Solyndra.

cliffstearns.banner.getty.jpg

When the Susan G. Komen Foundation announced it would be end its relationship Planned Parenthood, it pointed to an investigation into the group launched by Rep. Cliff Stearns, chairman of the House Energy & Commerce Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations. The Florida Republican has a relatively low profile on the national stage, despite serving in Congress for more than two decades. That's all changing now. While many expected Darrell Issa, the chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, to be a major thorn in Democrats' and President Obama's side, Stearns -- long a quiet but persistent crusader for his chosen causes -- has in fact been a bigger mover and shaker, and he now finds himself at two of the biggest controversies in Washington. Here's a primer on the representative.

He's a veteran and a businessman. Stearns, a Washington, D.C., native, went to George Washington University on an Air Force ROTC scholarship, earning a degree in electrical engineering, then served in the military for four years and reached the rank of captain. After leaving the Air Force, he became a hotelier and restaurateur in Ocala, Florida, near Gainesville. He has three sons. Stearns was elected in 1988, pulling off an upset win over a Democrat who was favored to win the open seat.

He really doesn't like abortion. Stearns' investigation into Planned Parenthood focuses on whether the organization used federal funds to pay for abortions, which would be illegal (one school of thought argues that it's irrelevant, because the organization does conduct abortions, and money is fungible -- but that's another question). This is his second charge against the group: he was instrumental in a 2011 push to cut off all federal funding to it. "This is when we're going to defund Planned Parenthood," Stearns told the Los Angeles Times almost exactly a year ago. "Now is the season for us to do this." But the push eventually failed because of the opposition of Senate Democrats. He's been a major backer of pregnancy resource centers, a sort of pro-life alternative to Planned Parenthood clinics, which counsel against abortion. He introduced a bill in January 2011 that would stipulate that federal family-planning money go only to organizations that show women sonograms of fetuses and advise against ending pregnancies.

But he's otherwise a big privacy advocate. Stearns was a leading backer of the legislation that created the anti-telemarketing Do-Not-Call list. In January, he joined with liberal Democrat Henry Waxman of California to send a sharp letter to Google questioning the company's privacy practices. At other times in his career, he's supported looser gun controls, and he's a member of the Tea Party Caucus.

He's been busy digging into the Solyndra case. In some ways, the blow-up over Planned Parenthood is a distraction from Stearns' main current project, investigating Solyndra. That's the increasingly noisy controversy over a green energy company that received government grants and had close ties to the Obama administration. Stearns' committee is investigating whether White House officials improperly intervened or if they knew that the company was on the brink of insolvency before its eventual bankruptcy filing. The company's failure is a cause celebre in conservative circles, and the GOP is planning to use it as a bludgeon against the president during the election because it's a perfect trifecta: government involvement in the private sector, apparent administration incompetence, and a whiff of corruption. That makes Stearns an important figure in House Republican ranks.

He's no stranger to hot-button issues. Stearns has been involved for years in various sports-related matters. As chairman of the House Committee on Commerce, Consumer Protection and Trade, he held hearings into steroids in baseball, and later called for MLB Commissioner Bud Selig to resign. He also criticized the NCAA for failing to crack down on shady recruitment practices for college athletes. Stearns has repeatedly authored legislation to cut the budget of the National Endowment for the Arts. He has also flirted with conspiracy theories, and in 1999 attended a Washington screening of a documentary alleging government misconduct in the 1993 Branch Davidian siege in Waco, Texas. "I don't visualize it as propaganda," Stearns said of the film in 1999. "I visualize it as an attempt to bring questions to the American people."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 06:52 pm
I watched the full Karen Holden interview with Fox News and noticed that she used the term "private organization". I keep hearing this... that SGKF is using "their" money as they see fit. I check with the folks at Komen and their status is one of a public charity (they file an IRS Form 990, public charity every year) and not a private foundation (Form 990-PF). I think this is at the core of their beliefs and this debacle. They see themselves as a private organization who can make decisions based on private agenda not in keeping with a public charity. That's why I think KH was only a pawn (albeit, a willing one) in the process and the cleansing needs to occur at a higher level.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:31 am
@JPB,
Good research, JPB, thanks.

BBB
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:33 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
She's also come out and said that the decision to stop funding for PPP was approved at the highest levels of the organization and had broad approval.

can't trust them broads
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:35 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Looks like Planned Parenthood will be getting a bigger share of my charity dollars.

I generally don't feel I can afford to support middle-class charities, leftwing or rightwing either one. Too many seriously oppressed people out there in the world.

One guy who is actually doing something about the most serious problems is Vladimir putin:

http://rt.com/politics/putin-foreign-make-representatives-797/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 11:13 am
@JPB,
That's what happens when people become powerful with lot'sa money; they lose concept of what they are about, and start promoting their own political agenda, and believe they are in the "right."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 12:04 pm
This doesn't quite pass the smell test either.

Quote:
This past December, the president of Komen, Liz Thompson, met with the president of Planned Parenthood, Cecile Richards, to discuss the decision, according to Handel. “There was an open and candid conversation about the controversy and the effect on Komen. There was a gentle ladies’ agreement, if you will, that no one was going to go to the press about this,” Handel said. In the agreement, she said, Komen offered to continue funding current grants, but not future ones.

“We wanted a smooth transition,” she continued. “What happened is nothing short of a disgrace. Cecile Richards put this issue in the press. There was a coordinated effort to get sites like moveon.org and change.org involved. There was an orchestrated, premeditated attempt to put this issue in the press. Talk about betrayal by Planned Parenthood—against an organization that took up for it for years.”

The Planned Parenthood spokeswoman said the news was first reported by “anti-choice outlets.” After that, she said, Komen announced the decision to hundreds of Planned Parenthood and Komen leaders, sparking media interest.

Handel sees it differently. “Planned Parenthood launched a vicious attack on a nonprofit organization that fights breast cancer,” she said. “Komen gave out $93 million in community grants last year. Planned Parenthood got $680,000—less than 1 percent of the total granting portfolio. They unleashed Armageddon on an organization for $680,000.” More

So... the plan was to quietly tell the pro-life folks that PP had been dropped and nobody was to go to the press. Riiiiiiiiiiight! Then, nearly two months later all hell breaks loose. As with most things I'm reading about with this story, there are probably shades of truth on both sides, but regardless of who did the "unleashing", they did us all a favor.
boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 12:15 pm
@JPB,
If they thought their decision was so right then why in the world did they try to keep it quiet?

There was an editorial in my paper today by a anti-choicer outraged at PPs response to the Komen announcement detailing how PP unleashed some scorched earth attack.

Every PP person I saw discussing this was supportive of Komen's mission despite their decision. Nobody said anything nasty about Komen at all. It was the public that was outraged and made their feelings known.
JPB

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 12:19 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah. Cecile Richards has been seen with a smug smile on her face though. I imagine she's secretly thrilled to get more than $3M in new donations against one year's SGK grant cycle. Koman is going down in the flame wars, has lost face on left, right, and center and is now living under a media/public microscope. Long past due, imo....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 12:20 pm
@JPB,
I don't think it passes the smell test, either. If you take a decision, even if you do confer with those most affected, but you don't want the decision to be publicly known, you must be thinking that it is something which would be better not to see the light of day. Their indignation is phony as a three dollar bill.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 12:26 pm
As a side note to all of this...

When I saw Nancy Brinker interviewed I knew exactly where the inspiration for Betty Bowers must have come from.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 01:29 pm
@boomerang,
This comedy of errors resembles the conservatives attacking Obama on contraceptives. Most young catholic women use contraceptives; that's a fact that cannot not be denied no matter how the conservative meme tries to show how evil Obama is by his intrusion into religion. LOL

They will never "get it."
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 03:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From religiousconsulation.org (a catholic blog).

Quote:
This idea of delayed ensoulment survived throughout the tradition. St. Thomas Aquinas, the most esteemed of medieval theologians, held this view. Thus the most traditional and stubbornly held position in Catholic Christianity is that early abortions are not murder. Since the vast number of abortions done today in the United States, for example, are early abortions, they are not, according to this Catholic tradition, murder. Also, all pregnancy terminations done through the use of RU 486 would not qualify as the killing of a human person according to this Catholic tradition of "delayed ensoulment."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 04:51 pm
@Miller,
Where the money goes:

"It's spent on education, fund-raising, treatment, and screening, as well as research, which the organization says comprised 28% of total spending for 2006–2007. Administrative costs accounted for 8% of spending. Overall, the organization says that 85% of spending in 2006–2007 went to program activities."

http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20235965,00.html
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 08:25 am
Apparently Cher was wrong, you can turn back time, about 30 years. This is outrageous, not to mention riddled in ignorance. Planned Patenthood deals with a variety of women's health issues, not just one. Now 20,000 women in Arizona will suffer because religious zealots and people in power, who can afford private health coverage, don't get it.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/05/gov-brewer-signs-arizona-ban-on-planned-parenthood-funding/

Quote:
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a bill to cut off Planned Parenthood's access to taxpayer money funneled through the state for non-abortion services.
BillRM

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 08:31 am
@jcboy,
Now what I do not get with women not religion nuts being in the majority why are they not getting voted out.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 08:37 am
@BillRM,
For the same reasons why Willard is the top runner for the GOP; stupid voters.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 09:14 am
@jcboy,
I would hope that the women of Arizona take action on this bill. They should organize themselves and have petitions signed to get Jan Brewer out of office
and then move to a different state that is not discriminating against women rights.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 10:04 am
@CalamityJane,
I'm pretty disgusted with Texas right now.

I'm hoping that the lawsuits will go in Planned Parenthood's way, and our idiot governor can stuff a sock in his mouth.
0 Replies