Susan B. Komen foundation pulls Planned Parenthood support.

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 08:30 pm
Wow. Just wow.

Quote:
The nation's leading breast-cancer charity, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, is halting its partnerships with Planned Parenthood affiliates — creating a bitter rift, linked to the abortion debate, between two iconic organizations that have assisted millions of women.

The change will mean a cutoff of hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants, mainly for breast exams.

Planned Parenthood says the move results from Komen bowing to pressure from anti-abortion activists. Komen says the key reason is that Planned Parenthood is under investigation in Congress — a probe launched by a conservative Republican who was urged to act by anti-abortion groups.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/31/cancer-charity-halts-grants-to-planned-parenthood-1227146736/

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 18 • Views: 14,340 • Replies: 162

maxdancona

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 08:54 pm
@boomerang,
Looks like Planned Parenthood will be getting a bigger share of my charity dollars.
parados

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 09:10 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

That says it all.

Muzzle the opposition through political intimidation.

The funny thing is, I am reading a book called "Hitler's Gift" about how Jewish scientists were forced out of Germany and how other scientist let it happen because of the political intimidation of being investigated if they didn't comply with the government.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 09:26 pm
@boomerang,
A little of the background on it here -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/2012/01/31/gIQAACW0fQ_blog.html

It's short so I clipped the whole thing - Me, I like the last sentence.

Why Komen defunded Planned Parenthood
Posted by Sarah Kliff at 06:16 PM ET, 01/31/2012

(Gary Stelzer - Associated Press) The Associated Press reports that Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the nation’s leading breast-cancer charity, will cut off its funding to Planned Parenthood affiliates, where the foundation has traditionally paid for preventive screening services.

According to the AP, the move will mean “a cutoff of hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants, mainly for breast exams.”Planned Parenthood confirms that Komen is the first, and only, organization to cut off funding since the Congress began debating the issue in earnest last winter.

Komen said it could not continue to fund Planned Parenthood because it has adopted new guidelines that bar it from funding organizations under congressional investigation. The House oversight and investigations subcommittee announced in the fall an investigation into Planned Parenthood’s funding.

Planned Parenthood has been at the center of a lot of heated political battles lately. Most center on whether the group, as an abortion provider, should receive government funds for other services it provides, such as offering contraceptives and preventive screenings.

So far, plans to curtail Planned Parenthood’s funds within government have been stymied. Both the Democrat-controlled Senate and President Obama, for instance, stood in the way of House Republicans’ attempts to end Planned Parenthood’s federal funding. Similarly, when a handful of states passed laws that would have barred abortion providers (such as Planned Parenthood) from receiving federal dollars through Medicaid, the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services stepped in. The agency has warned states that they could lose all of their Medicaid funding if they implemented such a policy. Those defensive moves have allowed Planned Parenthood to weather various political attacks.

In some ways, the Komen decision isn’t particularly surprising. The group has been under pressure from anti-abortion rights groups not to fund Planned Parenthood. It also hired a vice president last year who had previously advocated for the group’s defunding in her run for Georgia governor. With a congressional investigation underway, Komen pulled its support. And when private institutions move to cut off Planned Parenthood’s funding there’s not much Democrats can do.The only possible backstop here might be pressure from Planned Parenthood supporters pushing back in the opposite direction.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 10:21 pm
Horrible how regressive this country has become.

Planned Parenthood is a wonderful organization and 90 % of its services
have nothing to do with abortion. I certainly will abstain from supporting
Susan B. Koman in the future and I hope more people will do so as well.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 08:49 am
Curiousier and curiousier:

Quote:
Interestingly, this brand new rule that suddenly appeared in the books of the Komen Foundation just so happened to coincide with a Congressional investigation launched by a Republican legislator, who himself was pressured by the pro-life group Americans United for Life. And last year's assault on Planned Parenthood also coincided with the addition of a vocally anti-abortion ex-politician to the ranks of Susan G Komen For the Cure.

Karen Handel, who was endorsed by Sarah Palin during her unsuccessful bid for governor of Georgia in 2010, has been the Foundation's Senior Vice President for Public Policy since April 2011. During her gubernatorial candidacy, she ran on an anti-choice platform, vowing that if elected, she'd defund Planned Parenthood. Handel wrote on her campaign blog,

I will be a pro-life governor who will work tirelessly to promote a culture of life in Georgia…. I believe that each and every unborn child has inherent dignity, that every abortion is a tragedy, and that government has a role, along with the faith community, in encouraging women to choose life in even the most difficult of circumstances…. since I am pro-life, I do not support the mission of Planned Parenthood.

She even promised to eliminate funding for breast and cervical cancer screenings provided by the organization.

How curious! A person with what looks like a personal vendetta against Planned Parenthood joins the ranks of an organization that provides funding to Planned Parenthood, and soon, that organization "defunds" Planned Parenthood. But surely this couldn't be about Handel's personal feelings. According to Komen, this is about rule following. Protocol.

How did she get on the board at Komen?
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 09:44 am
@boomerang,
Politics! It's all politics, boomer. It makes me so sick to read that and I hope Karen Handel and her organization will receive the necessary whiplash they so deserve! Disgusting, outright disgusting, just to aid her personal vendetta, she cuts funding for breast cancer screening while being on the board of an organization against breast cancer. She's a menace to all women!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 10:29 am
Not another nickel donated, nor a moment of volunteer time offered for the NYC Race for the Cure (Sept 2012)

Joe(until this is reversed)Nation
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 10:31 am
@boomerang,
Exclamation

WTH?

That's messed up.

They're two organizations I've supported, will definitely be withdrawing support from Komen and giving more to Planned Parenthood.

I hope there's a big, organized response to this, so that it is reversed.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 10:42 am
Online petition to sign to protest this:

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/komen_2/?rc=fb_share1
sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 10:57 am
@parados,
Aw, you beat me!

Yeah, came here to post that.

Glad it's a) out there and b) apparently zipping around the world rather quickly. (I saw it on FB.)

Without the "share" thing:

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/komen/
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 10:57 am
@boomerang,
CBCF has just partnered with the Susan B. Komen foundation here.

I have located the page of partners and sponsors that I will not be buying from/supporting. I will start emailing them tomorrow.

http://www.cbcf.org/ontario/Pages/default.aspx#

on the list

New Balance
P&G
Revlon
WonderBra
Dole
Excel (gum)
First Alert
KitchenAid
Guess
Lean Cuisine
Konica Minolta
Lipton
Lypsyl
Old Navy
Olympus
Oral-B
PaperMate
Payless
Pepsico
Purex
Rubbermaid
Scotties
Sharlie
Symantec
Tetley
Swiffer

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 11:05 am
@ehBeth,
just emailed credo to find out if there is an equivalent Canadian action
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 11:56 am
@ehBeth,
posted the list on my FB wall along with the petition link.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:03 pm
@sozobe,
Signed it.
parados

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:07 pm
@ossobuco,
It was interesting to read the forums on the Susan G Komen website. A lot of angry/disappointed people posting and a couple of trolls that joined yesterday running from thread to thread applauding the decision.

http://apps.komen.org/Forums/tt.aspx?forumid=48
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:23 pm
@parados,
I've just sent ten emails to friends. I just about never send emails exhorting action, and don't much like getting emails on peoples' varying causes even if the emails aren't totally pushy - but now I'm the one wanting to get the information out there.. Ten, and I'm only to the letter E in my addresses list.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:24 pm
Another interesting read -
Planned Parenthood has seen over $250,000 in donations while Komen may have hurt themselves. Really?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/post/komen-cuts-funds-to-planned-parenthood/2012/01/31/gIQAFdglgQ_blog.html
JPB

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:48 pm
@parados,
sent a donation to pp. signed the petition and will decline any further support to SGKF.

One of the comments on the SGKF forum
Quote:
..fighting to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all...

- Wednesday, February 01, 2012 1:42 PM
That's what the founder's note says on the website. How does that statement align with the decision to remove the grant from Planned Parenthood? Let us concentrate on saving womens lives and leave the political discourse to the "Do nothing" folks in Washington. Republican or Democrat, it should not matter here. Planned Parenthood helps under-served women get breast exams, which saves lives (regardless of the other services they provide). I understand SGK has a choice to fund varying organizations out there, but when they threaten to remove funding for breast exams at PP, they are not living up to the founders motto to, "..ensure quality care for all..." My funding of SGK will end if they follow through with removing the grant from PP. Please reconsider Board of SGK!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:57 pm
@parados,
That's pretty f***in' hilarious. I believe the operative term is cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. Good for Planned Parenthood--i hope the money keeps rolling in, and i hope they can actually expand their health care services for the women who most need their help.
0 Replies