Why is my hair excessively oily?

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 03:05 pm
Even if I wash my hair before I go to bed it wakes up very messy and oily! People have always told me to wash it everyday to keep a good hygiene of it, but some days ago I just heard that washing your hair everyday strips it of the natural oil the scalp makes. The problem is that if I don't, my hair gets really oily that my roots even start to look black and gross because of the oiliness. What can I do? By the way, I've already been to a dermatologist and they said there's nothing wrong with my sebaceous glands, I don't really know what else to do about this! Sad

PS: I have dyed red hair.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,752 • Replies: 6
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 03:48 pm
rinse with white vinegar, but also check this out.

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/articles.php?f=tip1058.htm
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 03:49 pm
@EliseRandall,
A lot of it has to do with the humidity in the air (especially if you use air conditioning), another is the amount of oils and fats in your diet.

When I was younger and living in the near perfect weather of the San Francisco Bay Area, my hair and skin were very oily. In later years, I moved to the drier Sacramento Valley and was eliminating many oils and fats from my diet. My skin and hair were still slightly oily.

Recently, having moved to the arid dessert of Albuquerque, New Mexico, I now have to use intense moisturizing creams on my skin and moisturizing conditioners for my hair.

I also aged quite a bit between those stages, so age and hormones may also play a big part of it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 05:15 pm
@EliseRandall,
do you use conditioner after washing? My hair dresser said to just put a little conditioner on the ends - otherwise your hair can end up being too oily.
Ragman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 08:19 pm
@Linkat,
Thanks. Now that info about how to condition properly helped me.
0 Replies

shampoo

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 02:32 am
@EliseRandall,
Interesting. I was also told that if your hair produces enough oil, its a good thing but too much, needs attention of some sort. A while back I didn't produce enough oil for my head/hair so I always ended up with dandruff or itchy scalp. Now after every shower, I run my hair lightly through with vitamin e. I do wash my hair everyday thoroughly, even massaging my scalp for a couple of minutes. This cleans the roots and removes any buildup of any kind. I notices that after using conditioner, my scalp tends to become oily. So to avoid all the grease, I don't use conditioner and if I do, I use very little.
0 Replies

hairmag

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2016 12:46 am
Dont wash your regularly, it will damage your hair. Twice in week is enough for oily hair
0 Replies