Should I Drop My Landline Phone?

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 12:50 pm
Should I drop this phone line? Is there any advantage or reason I should keep it. It costs me $40 per month. I get about two calls per week - from solicitors or - now - political pollers.

I have a cell phone.

My landline number is on my ID for all my credit cards, so that would have to be changed.

Ceili

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 12:53 pm
I've been thinking the same thing. Only problem is, I have a dead cool number. It's a number you can't forget..
sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 12:53 pm
@PUNKEY,
Is it very rare for you to lose power?

We haven't in a while but it was about twice a year for a while there, and we were very happy to have the landline then.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 12:56 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I've been thinking the same thing. Only problem is, I have a dead cool number. It's a number you can't forget..

867-5309?

And I've gone sans-landline for the last 7 years. Have yet to miss it.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 01:44 pm
@PUNKEY,
I gave up land lines almost 10 years ago. No regrets. I wouldn't even use them for my business any more if I didn't have the land-line numbers out in so much marketing material.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 04:35 pm
@rosborne979,
thinking about it. but we lose our cells so damn much. I need an app that makes it ring even after its sufficiently dead
jcboy

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 04:39 pm
I gave up my landline when I moved to Florida, don't really need one, we both have cells, plus this way when someone calls that I don't want to speak with I can just say my cell was charging Cool
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 04:40 pm
@jcboy,
A cell phone becomes a key plot device in "Ides of MArch"
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 04:53 pm
@rosborne979,
Been about 12 or so for me. Remember all those years ago the people that were shocked by the idea? Like it was some radical concept... Laughing
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 05:00 pm
@PUNKEY,
There are two reasons a land line is superior to a cell line. First is the backup power situation. Line lines are the last thing to fail in power outage, cell phones among the first. The second is call quality. Land line cells are dramatically cleaner, louder, easier to understand than cell calls over a handset. A headset helps some if you use that. Given that you use your land line so infrequently I'd say you have already tossed those benefits for the advantage of cell mobility.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 05:03 pm
@Ceili,
Me too! I have a phone number most companies only could dream of,
so I don't want to give that up, plus I have a lot of international calls that are much cheaper with a land line.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:19 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, and a light that comes on when the battery is dead.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:23 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

There are two reasons a land line is superior to a cell line. First is the backup power situation. Line lines are the last thing to fail in power outage, cell phones among the first. The second is call quality. Land line cells are dramatically cleaner, louder, easier to understand than cell calls over a handset. A headset helps some if you use that. Given that you use your land line so infrequently I'd say you have already tossed those benefits for the advantage of cell mobility.

I used to agree with the first point, until I realized that pretty much everyone I know who maintains a landline uses a cordless handset to talk on it; that's worse than useless in a power outage.

You're right about the second point tho...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 10:35 am
@PUNKEY,
It's a choice you have to make. Both landline and cellular have advantages and disadvantages. As indicated in the past, fairly recent even, I have both for very important reasons. To avoid solicitors, check for a "do not call" registry.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 03:35 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yes. Ditch the landline.
0 Replies