Freedom

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:16 am
What is freedom and does it exist? If so, how?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Procrustes

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 08:25 pm
@Procrustes,
Okay, maybe that was hard to answer so let me put it another way; how does freedom work?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 09:59 pm
@Procrustes,
What kind of 'freedom' are you asking about? It's a matter of degree for the individual, and it doesn't matter which culture or country one lives in.
Procrustes

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 07:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
I guess what I'm trying to elucidate is if people feel "free" and to try and articulate what that is.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:12 am

Freedom is the absence of government interference.

Personal freedom and government jurisdiction are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:15 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:
Okay, maybe that was hard to answer so let me put it another way; how does freedom work?
Freedom works by government getting the hell out of the way.

David
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:49 am
@Procrustes,
I suggest the word "freedom" is only used in comparative situations where selective restrictions are perceived to apply or have applied to self or others.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 12:54 pm
@Procrustes,
You didn't answer my q: we need to know what you mean by freedom before we can answer your question. There are many forms of freedoms and restrictions based on environment, government, religion, family, economics, money, food, water, jobs, rules and regulations of all kinds, and how one lives or not live in society.

That's the reason why there are no easy answers.
Procrustes

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 12:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
Well, if it is a relative term, what does it mean to you? I'm letting you guys have the chance to articulate your ideas of it. I personally am in limbo with the term. I'm hoping you guys can teach me a thing or two about it.
0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 12:43 am
@fresco,
Okay, let's be as general or specific about the comparative situations. I guess with the broadest stroke we could apply freedom with life in general for starters.
fresco

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 01:13 am
@Procrustes,
ci is correct in pointing to contextual usage rather than general "life". See for example Maslow's hierarchy of needs where each level (physical, sexual, social etc) must be consecutively satisfied in order to "free" the individual to pursue goals at the next level.
Thus, in Western culture, where physical needs are usually easily satisfied, the word "freedom" takes on a different aspect to that of an impoverished third-worlder.
Procrustes

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 01:28 am
@fresco,
Fair enough. The term is relative. Hence, my problem with the term. Does it exist?
fresco

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 12:01 pm
@Procrustes,
IMO there is no such thing as absolute freedom. At the very least we are ultimately constrained by our physiology, and more generally we are "social beings" whose actions always have repercussions on those around us. A good example of this might be "the problem" that many nouveau riche have in forming or maintaining satisfactory relationships.
Procrustes

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 04:11 am
@fresco,
It just doesn't seem logical that certain freedoms come from constraints. Am I naive to think this?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 04:18 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:
It just doesn't seem logical that certain freedoms come from constraints.
Am I naive to think this?
Yes; freedom comes from curtailing,
constraining and strangling the jurisdicition of government

David
0 Replies